Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 01:34 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,983 times

Advertisements

It's funny, I am in the same situation. Just rented an all electric condo...mine is much bigger though, around 790 ft. I don't have a washer/dryer in the unit or a dishwasher, which to be honest, I wouldn't want with an all electric system.

I haven't gotten my first bill yet but I am a bit nervous.

I have been keeping the heat off as much as possible, just wearing heavy clothes around the house....and I have a feeling in the summer it won't be too hot because it's a first floor. I have been trying to monitor my usage very carefully, like turning off lights, tvs, etc....also the hot water.

My friend lives in a three bedroom condo near me, also all electric...she has a washer/dryer and dishwasher and her condo is huge. She told me her winter bills, for January and February are about $400..and the rest of the year $200. She also went on the budget to help her avoid any huge bills.

I will probably go on the budget/level billing as well....I figure I will only be in this place for one year, hopefully my bills won't be too high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 01:35 PM

36 posts, read 57,016 times
the studio is south-facing and 4th floor, do you think I will end up paying more for the utility in the summer?

Old 12-04-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Is $1450/mo( not including heat and hot water) for a 400 sq ft studio in Queens really considered "not too bad" these days ?

I'd count on at least 250/mo in electric bills on average so your rent is really $1,700/mo. Doesn't sound like any kind of a deal to me….not for 400 sq ft.
The location is nice.. it's about 5 minutes away from Broadway train station and there are lots of restaruants & bars just off the street.

There is really realllllyy nice renovated 1 bedroom for $1700 with regular utilities (~$100) but I couldn't afford that one..

I didnt know my average utility would be $250.... I was expecting $150 - $200 , but landlord provides $50 credit for 4 months (December, Jan, Feb, Mar)

Do you still this is not a great deal? I'm actually about to sign it this evening because I was afraid someone would take it

Old 12-04-2014, 04:12 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,254 times
It's all in the way you use or don't use energy... 1500 sq foot place with electric heat and A/C (gas stove though. Gas paid by building ), dishwasher, washing machine & dryer but the hot water is also paid by the building. My winter bill averages $150 (yep that's it) and summer is about 1/2 of that. How? My thermostats are zoned and I use a timer on the heat/AC and only turn it on when I am there during waking hours. Since I'm out for work, that's not too much energy on weekdays. At night the temp is turned down to 65- I love my heavy down comforter and electric blanket! Dishwasher is only run when it's full and I do laundry like every 2 or 3 weeks (I have a bad shopping habit). On the weekends if I'm at home, temp will be set to 72 while awake. It's a bit chilly but I wear sweats and slippers around the house anyway. This works for me but my mom visited recently and she was cold so I had to crank up the heat for the weekend.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:06 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Think we are going to see more and more "all electric" apartments both perhaps rental and condo or co-op in future.

Leaving aside the ability of the property owner or owners to transfer the often not small cost of providing heat from themselves directly to residents, stricter rules regarding insulation and other factors will probably make traditional steam or hot water heating difficult or expensive.

If anyone can find away to make it work we might start seeing those instant water heaters for both kitchens and bathrooms as commonly found in much of Europe. Again the lure is transferring cost of providing hot water directly to the resident.

All electric apartments on the one hand are probably cleaner in terms of energy use since they do not have fumes from combustion. OTOH given utility costs here in NYC/NYS it could make arguments about "poor doors" seem almost silly.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:52 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
I had about 700 square feet back in but it was only electric Heat, AC, appliances...I had free hot water and cooking gas.

Before I caught onto the trick of carefully heating the place with the stove and watching every watt, I hit the occasional 800-1000 kwhr/month in a cold winter
At NYC rates that would be that would be $240-$300. so liz's estimate is probably pretty spot on:

Quote:

On average in the winter, my bills were $150-$200. In the summer, they shot
up as high as $400.

I hope your hot water heater is in the apartment so that any heat lost from the water tank is regained as heat in Winter...Summer, another issue. Hints: seal all drafts, get an electric blanket so you can allow the apartment to get very cool in Winter, Pray that none of your neighbors are absent for more than a day or they will shut off heat and AC and you will need to heat them too before you can stay comfortable. That last item is all-important.

IF your heater is through the wall, don't use it for heat and use a small space heater instead (1500 W.) That way your valuable heat will not go outside to warm up the streets of Astoria but stay where you want it.

Warning though...this is NOT comfortable living.

Do you have a sunny window? If so USE it, you can get a lot of solar heat in a couple hours. But heavy drapes when the sun isn't shining.

Quote:

I have been trying to monitor my usage very carefully, like turning off
lights, tvs, etc.
No need for that in Winter. Every watt-hour consumed by any appliance, light, computer etc, is a watt that goes towards heating your home. Might as well get bright lights and TV's as a by product of your electric use. A watt of light is a watt of power (which creates heat) no matter what else it does.

Last edited by Kefir King; 12-05-2014 at 05:03 AM..

Old 12-05-2014, 10:38 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskoo87 View Post
all the utilities run on electricity .. so heating, ... , hot water... The thing is I'll have to pay for all of it.
That's illegal, landlords are required to provide cold season heating & 24/7/365 hot water at their cost. You can file actions to recoup the expenses

Old 12-05-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
That's illegal, landlords are required to provide cold season heating & 24/7/365 hot water at their cost. You can file actions to recoup the expenses
I already signed the paper.

I did not know that was illegal, the landlord provides $50 credit for December, January, Feb, March.

What actions can I take? Is it too late since I signed the contract?

Old 12-05-2014, 01:39 PM

3 posts, read 3,105 times
we had gas in staten island when I was a kid. for the stove. The heat was electrical, If I remember correctly. window-unit Air conditioning. electric might be safer.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:40 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
No true at all, many apartments have to pay their own heat...I always have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: