Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2017, 11:20 PM

5 posts, read 2,773 times

Advertisements

I've been renting an apartment in Queens (2 bedroom) since February 2016. We signed our lease for a full year. My roommate and I really love the place and have been very timely with our rent, respectful and courteous. We live in a relatively quiet and family oriented neighborhood and our landlord, an elderly woman, lives in the apartment building. We had signed for only when year when we rented it, so back in February I had asked my landlord about renewal protocol and expressed our interest in renewing. She told me it would be fine, and several weeks past. Never heard back from her. After February 1 passed, we continued to pay rent without any issues and she continued to take it. On more than one occasion my rooomate and I have checked in with her and inquired about the lease renewal, and her answer has been that she would take care of it...to no avail.

It's now been three months of asking her for this to no avail. I know this is basically considered tenancy at will (month to month), but I am constantly fearing we will be asked to vacate. We love the place and it's finally one I can consider a home (rare in NYC), which is why I've been so stressed out about being able to renew. I'd love to stay as long as possible and would like to think we should be fine, but I've heard too many stories and situations where without a lease or written document, tenants can be asked to vacate.

She is an elderly woman and has been somewhat forgetful about hardware/other issues in the past so it does seem likely she's just forgotten. But I'm concerned that my roommate and I are not protected without having any type of documentation. Would this be a situation to take up with the broker/agent who helped us in the first place? I had already left a note under her door as a reminder and there has been no response whatsoever. If anyone has been in this situation or thinks this is something to be concerned about, please let me now. Feedback is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 03:36 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,155,114 times
You mentioned it's an apartment building. Are you absolutely sure your apartment is not rent stabilized? If you are stabilized (or are supposed to be but were never offered a stabilized lease) then she would be required to offer you a renewal lease. That is the first thing you should check. https://www.timeout.com/newyork/blog...bilized-032916

http://www.nycrgb.org/html/resources/zip.html

Old 06-12-2017, 10:26 PM

31,953 posts, read 27,074,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emully22 View Post
I've been renting an apartment in Queens (2 bedroom) since February 2016. We signed our lease for a full year. My roommate and I really love the place and have been very timely with our rent, respectful and courteous. We live in a relatively quiet and family oriented neighborhood and our landlord, an elderly woman, lives in the apartment building. We had signed for only when year when we rented it, so back in February I had asked my landlord about renewal protocol and expressed our interest in renewing. She told me it would be fine, and several weeks past. Never heard back from her. After February 1 passed, we continued to pay rent without any issues and she continued to take it. On more than one occasion my rooomate and I have checked in with her and inquired about the lease renewal, and her answer has been that she would take care of it...to no avail.

It's now been three months of asking her for this to no avail. I know this is basically considered tenancy at will (month to month), but I am constantly fearing we will be asked to vacate. We love the place and it's finally one I can consider a home (rare in NYC), which is why I've been so stressed out about being able to renew. I'd love to stay as long as possible and would like to think we should be fine, but I've heard too many stories and situations where without a lease or written document, tenants can be asked to vacate.

She is an elderly woman and has been somewhat forgetful about hardware/other issues in the past so it does seem likely she's just forgotten. But I'm concerned that my roommate and I are not protected without having any type of documentation. Would this be a situation to take up with the broker/agent who helped us in the first place? I had already left a note under her door as a reminder and there has been no response whatsoever. If anyone has been in this situation or thinks this is something to be concerned about, please let me now. Feedback is appreciated!

Google is your friend: Renewing your lease in an unregulated (market-rate) apartment | Metropolitan Council on Housing

Basically just keep paying your rent and making inquiries as to if or when the LL will renew lease. It is important that you continue paying rent and checking to ensure those checks are being cashed.

You also *might* want to start looking for a new apartment just in case.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:07 AM

25,382 posts, read 37,126,683 times
Document all your inquiries and keep cancelled rent checks.

My first thought is that perhaps your landlord is trying to sell the building.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:08 AM

25,382 posts, read 37,126,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Document all your inquiries and keep cancelled rent checks.
My first thought is that perhaps your landlord is trying to sell the building.

YOU can write a lease and present it to HER.

Old 06-16-2017, 03:15 PM

5 posts, read 2,773 times
Thanks for your feedback. I did some research and it turns out my apartment building is rent stabilized. So if she is, in fact, obligated to present a lease at some point and is failing to do so after it's ended I still don't know what to do other than keep following up with her.

She is continuing to cash rent checks normally. She really is the only person to speak with as the building management is her relative who doesn't seem to be around. I have the contact info of the broker we used for the building who provided us with the initial lease, but I'm not sure if they're my best bet right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City