Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 07:29 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by q41apartments View Post
Well...corporate America hates Delaware, Ohio, Florida and Mumbai India. That's where all the jobs shift to when the cost of doing it in NYC just cost too much. I can tell you from experience as I've been through corporate America.

Sad part is, that means we, the public, get subjected to people with hardcore heavy accents when we call 800 numbers to check our balances. Very sad to see America help another country before helping their own.
The game has been rigged since the start, when the founding fathers created the constitution they did it with the wealthy landlord benefiting the most (only they can vote). People like to play revisionist history like the old times are better. People have been fighting and making progress for the longest time.

You can either think of this as the best of times or the worse of times.

Pro: It never been easier to start a business and reach a global market(developing countries can use your knowledge and expertise). Being born in the US still gives you an advantage over a lot of countries.

Con: all the comfortable jobs that produce very little benefit to society are gone. No longer can you spend 8-10 hrs a day pushing paper and surfing the internet as you make yourself appear busy to coworkers (see the movie "office space"). I know it is comfortable knowing where your next paycheck will come from (which traps people in not taking risk).

I believe the issue is government responsibility should be to help the less fortunate develop the skills to succeed in our modern society instead of just throwing money at the situation (for example NYCHA).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 07:47 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
The game has been rigged since the start, when the founding fathers created the constitution they did it with the wealthy landlord benefiting the most (only they can vote). People like to play revisionist history like the old times are better. People have been fighting and making progress for the longest time.

You can either think of this as the best of times or the worse of times.

Pro: It never been easier to start a business and reach a global market(developing countries can use your knowledge and expertise). Being born in the US still gives you an advantage over a lot of countries.

Con: all the comfortable jobs that produce very little benefit to society are gone. No longer can you spend 8-10 hrs a day pushing paper and surfing the internet as you make yourself appear busy to coworkers (see the movie "office space"). I know it is comfortable knowing where your next paycheck will come from (which traps people in not taking risk).

I believe the issue is government responsibility should be to help the less fortunate develop the skills to succeed in our modern society instead of just throwing money at the situation (for example NYCHA).
Excellent point, but the government has been gradually funding lesser and lesser of the portion of the budget for public colleges. And instead of pushing trade skills in schools like plumbing/electrical/mechanical they're trying to push computer programming skills just because it's more sexy. This makes no sense when the majority of students aren't even good at simple math. Politicians need to get their priorities straight and stop pandering to the uneducated and voters seeking freebies.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
Excellent point, but the government has been gradually funding lesser and lesser of the portion of the budget for public colleges. And instead of pushing trade skills in schools like plumbing/electrical/mechanical they're trying to push computer programming skills just because it's more sexy. This makes no sense when the majority of students aren't even good at simple math. Politicians need to get their priorities straight and stop pandering to the uneducated and voters seeking freebies.
Thanks, but college isn't the answer either. Otherwise the middle class wouldn't be struggling so much. There is no clear safe path to succeed anymore (in addition there no one to really guide you), you need to find it yourself. College has become big business with all the corporate jobs that require college degree but anyone with a high school degree can perform the job. Most college couldn't careless about what type of job outlook you have once you graduate. They just want you in the door so they can charge you for information you can get for free online now a days.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:27 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Thanks, but college isn't the answer either. Otherwise the middle class wouldn't be struggling so much. There is no clear safe path to succeed anymore (in addition there no one to really guide you), you need to find it yourself. College has become big business with all the corporate jobs that require college degree but anyone with a high school degree can perform the job. Most college couldn't careless about what type of job outlook you have once you graduate. They just want you in the door so they can charge you for information you can get for free online now a days.
Absolutely true, but I would add a few things.

Schools with aggressive "placement" programs (internships; then entry-level jobs) are touting themselves as "excellent" and top-tier institutions - when they are nothing even close to this.

Second, the elites WILL continue to actually educate their own, to provide them with the critical thinking and other skills needed to assume the positions of leadership that bring both power and $$$$$$$. Thus, there will be decent institutions, actual venues for higher education. But these will increasingly be the privilege of a very very select few. Everyone else will be steered to the diploma mills, sign up for a fortune in student loans, and enter the structures of this predatory culture and economy in which we live.

Anyone working in higher education is fully aware of this.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Absolutely true, but I would add a few things.

Schools with aggressive "placement" programs (internships; then entry-level jobs) are touting themselves as "excellent" and top-tier institutions - when they are nothing even close to this.

Second, the elites WILL continue to actually educate their own, to provide them with the critical thinking and other skills needed to assume the positions of leadership that bring both power and $$$$$$$. Thus, there will be decent institutions, actual venues for higher education. But these will increasingly be the privilege of a very very select few. Everyone else will be steered to the diploma mills, sign up for a fortune in student loans, and enter the structures of this predatory culture and economy in which we live.

Anyone working in higher education is fully aware of this.
My impression of elite people is they are not smarter than most American after college. They just use their families connections and money to succeed. Columbia which is considered a Ivy League is famous for creating fake programs to get foreigners money (they can charge them outrageous prices for the degree).

People need to embrace the fact we don't have a competitive advantage when it comes to education (vs. other countries), anyone in a emerging country can speak and write in English. They can get a solid education through the internet or home country university. People in US are ignorant to the fact that a lot of foreigners in their own country follow American news more than their own country (China). America export everything overseas now a days (look at the financial crisis).

In Brazil when the World Cup is going on they are playing the latest American music (when not even a US team is playing).

Last edited by NYer23; 12-19-2014 at 08:58 AM..

Old 12-19-2014, 09:52 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
My impression of elite people is they are not smarter than most American after college. They just use their families connections and money to succeed. Columbia which is considered a Ivy League is famous for creating fake programs to get foreigners money (they can charge them outrageous prices for the degree).
Not true at all. "Smart" means that you were given the time and resources to complete the work. This makes people "smart." The inequality lies in the fact that not all get that privilege, in fact few do. The less wealthy are usually actually smarter, naturally, because they had to juggle jobs to survive with challenging academic work. Or they are simply tenacious, or other character things.

Columbia is not a cronyism culture - at all. Most there have done the work because if you do not you are OUT, and no connections or families can help. Granted not all of the ivies are this way.

The connections only help given that there are just so many people competing for few spots. Most in power, whether for admissions, hiring, whatever, are looking to eliminate people because the number of applications is simply overwhelming. If someone recommends a given person, this only "works" if the person is also very very qualified. The person gets his/her 30 seconds of attention and must produce. People's uneducated "opinions" - usually based on resentment about their own failures - notwithstanding.

I know how it works because I am on different committees and so on. Anyone who states that the "really smart" people are rejected by Columbia, for example, is an idiot with an agenda.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Not true at all. "Smart" means that you were given the time and resources to complete the work. This makes people "smart." The inequality lies in the fact that not all get that privilege, in fact few do. The less wealthy are usually actually smarter, naturally, because they had to juggle jobs to survive with challenging academic work. Or they are simply tenacious, or other character things.

Columbia is not a cronyism culture - at all. Most there have done the work because if you do not you are OUT, and no connections or families can help. Granted not all of the ivies are this way.

The connections only help given that there are just so many people competing for few spots. Most in power, whether for admissions, hiring, whatever, are looking to eliminate people because the number of applications is simply overwhelming. If someone recommends a given person, this only "works" if the person is also very very qualified. The person gets his/her 30 seconds of attention and must produce. People's uneducated "opinions" - usually based on resentment about their own failures - notwithstanding.

I know how it works because I am on different committees and so on. Anyone who states that the "really smart" people are rejected by Columbia, for example, is an idiot with an agenda.
Fair point, I can't really argue with your opinion given the way you define smart people. My opinion is formed through meeting and working with people who went there. I am probably bias to a default given I judge them more harshly (high standard) due to having to compete with them on a daily basis.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:05 PM

913 posts, read 2,273,022 times
Does anyone else feel sorry for the 2 in the photo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City