Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 02:32 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,671,795 times

Advertisements

It makes me quite sad to see Kim Kardashian mentioned twice in a thread about British Royalty. You may not see the point of them but at least there is some historical significance to their existence. The Kardishans? Not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 02:32 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I agree. I get sick and tired of hearing about them. Reminds me of the Kardashians. Who cares?
Worse than the Kardashians. At least the Kardashian family hasn't inflicted the pain ,suffering ,slavery and death on the world that his family has.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:41 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Tourist don't get to see the royal family. They do get tours of historical sites.
No, the majority of tourists to not get to meet the royals but it's the image of royalty and the royal family that brings in the tourists to the country. And the royals do promote British culture and the British "mystique" for whatever that is worth. It's not all that disimilar to why people around the world wish to visit LA. Do any of them actually meet and talk to celebrities. Probably not but the celebrities that reside there draws in the tourists. And when they come, they contribute to the overall economy by buying merchandise, patronizing the shops and restaurants, etc. I image it's the same concept in Britain.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:55 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Looking forward to another one of Kate's "unintended" wardrobe malfunctions, perhaps aided by unusually strong winds blowing from underneath. LOL!

Old 12-08-2014, 02:58 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
I thought about walking the 2 minutes to see them (or their car) pull into the Barclays Center; after all, this really wouldn't be "going out of my way." But its too damn cold and I'm not standing outside only to catch a fleeting glimpse of a Range Rover!

Old 12-08-2014, 03:16 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I thought about walking the 2 minutes to see them (or their car) pull into the Barclays Center; after all, this really wouldn't be "going out of my way." But its too damn cold and I'm not standing outside only to catch a fleeting glimpse of a Range Rover!
lol, my sentiments exactly. If the weather was nicer and if I happened to be in the general vicinity doing something else, I'll probably stand around to catch a peek but it's too cold for any of that.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:40 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
At least the Kardashian family hasn't inflicted the pain ,suffering ,slavery and death on the world that his family has.
This is not true. Great Britain had been a constitutional monarchy for long by the time it became a world power in the 18th century so military and administrative decisions were not made unilaterally by the royal family. These were in large part the domain of the trading companies.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:24 PM

383 posts, read 429,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventrata View Post
Yes, disgusting your knowledge is so lacking, he's a helicopter rescue pilot. What do you do that is so worthy?
Why so angry, old chap, for someone being so angry at all the money the U.S.A. is spending on the richest welfare recipients on the planet: let me remind you that here in the U.S.A., we fought a Revolution, the longest war in our history, not to venerate royalty. I have a feeling that if we paid our welfare recipients millions of POUNDS a year, they'd be willing to fly helicopters, too.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:31 PM

274 posts, read 298,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I think it is a hangover from the childhood brainwashing of fairy tales with the handsome prince saving the beautiful princess.
Old nonsense dies hard, especially with the mentally challenged.
LOL This is spot on, IMHO

Old 12-09-2014, 02:19 AM

24 posts, read 23,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNorthMaininto a r View Post
Why so angry, old chap, for someone being so angry at all the money the U.S.A. is spending on the richest welfare recipients on the planet: let me remind you that here in the U.S.A., we fought a Revolution, the longest war in our history, not to venerate royalty. I have a feeling that if we paid our welfare recipients millions of POUNDS a year, they'd be willing to fly helicopters, too.
Sorry, didn't wish to come across as angry, but I'd just spent hours going to London and back and had to queue forever outside tbe US embassy in the freezing cold for a 5 minute visa interview.
Not wanting to get into a battle here, but people are dissing my future King.
Also William does not personally take any money from the civil list (royal welfare as you would call it). Although probably gets cash from old Charlie boy's estate in Cornwall.
I don't venerate royalty, most are a waste of space, but William is OK. He's served his country in the Royal Air Force, spent years as a search and rescue pilot etc, all things he didn't have to do.
I also don't understand why they all get so much attention, but they are vising a country that seems to treat 'celebrities' as gods. You can't blame British Royalty for that.
As for your revolution... Well Just remember, one man's freedom fighters are another man's rebels and terrorists. But we don't hold a grudge.

Last edited by Ventrata; 12-09-2014 at 03:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City