Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 04:11 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times

Advertisements

Brooklyn is no longer heavily Italian. The Italian population isn't much larger than Philadelphia's (133,769 vs 120,466).

Dyker Heights still has a pretty strong Italian presence. Some of the Census tracts there are still 50%+ Italian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 08:42 PM

913 posts, read 2,272,326 times
I think the only Italians left are IN Staten Island.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:29 AM

545 posts, read 1,099,993 times
all of the SI Italians moved to Monmouth County NJ. The Jersey Shore. They're all over this place lol

Old 12-13-2014, 12:13 PM

929 posts, read 1,658,893 times
Bath Beach (aka Bensonhurst below 86th Street) still has a lot of Italians, but I was on 18th Avenue (Christopher Columbus Boulevard) yesterday and above 86th street it's all Chinatown.

And South Shore Staten Island is still extremely Italian.

Old 12-13-2014, 01:41 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Said this before and will do so again.

Large reason for so many Italians in NYC, Boston, New Orleans and other areas of the USA was due to the then immigration policy that favoured large numbers of poor coming from Europe.

Italians built much of the infrastructure from the subways in NYC to bridges and other areas of construction. Some came as immigrants others as "contract" workers who never left.

Once the Kennedy immigration bill passed which shifted the focus of USA policy large numbers of Europeans could no longer come, instead we have Mexicans, South Americans, and Asians.

Italians still come here, just met a few last night at Rite Aid (they work as waiters in a local restaurant). Years ago a nice guy from Sicily used to go to my gym. He told me about how difficult it was for him as a European to immigrate to the USA, especially without a family member to sponsor. Things like having to show enough verified financial resources and so forth. OTOH Obama waves all this for the Mexicans/Latinos that cross the border illegally.

Old 12-13-2014, 03:15 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
I don't even live in an Italian majority nabe yet when I go to my local butcher or fish monger everyone's still speaking Italian. More so than what you'll hear in the 'burbs.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:09 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,255,436 times
There are no Italians living in the Little Italy section of The Bronx. Haven't been for many years.

Throgs Neck has been transitioning from Italian to Hispanic.

Morris Park still has some heavily Italian sections like Indian Village.

Country Club is still heavily Italian, but with some Hispanics inroads.

It's 5th generation already. Lots of marriages to other groups. The new generation could care less if they live in an Italian neighborhood.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:24 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,687,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
Bath Beach (aka Bensonhurst below 86th Street) still has a lot of Italians, but I was on 18th Avenue (Christopher Columbus Boulevard) yesterday and above 86th street it's all Chinatown.

And South Shore Staten Island is still extremely Italian.
Bobby Bk, Below 86th Street? Lower the street or Ave? How's around Pastosa? Villa Abbate bakery?

Old 12-13-2014, 05:35 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,687,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTiberiusx View Post
LOL Barely. Everyone headed into the burbs. Check Country Club section of the Bronx. Maybe Throgs Neck also
The Neck is not only not Italian but I'm not sure if it's even majority white alone anymore. That area had the largest decrease in whites moving then any area in The Bronx which as it stand is about 10% white.

In the BX my guess would be Country Club? Morris Park but seems to be a lot of Albanians or Macedonians.
Manhattan, zero.
Queens, Howard Beach and Middle Village. Especially North of the park. Whitestone/Malba has a sizable amount but not as much as the other two.
Brooklyn, I would say Dyker Heights especially going towards 13th Ave. (Huge homes with Christmas lights)
Not sure about Bath Beach or Gravesend? Bay Ridge has some. Some old timers are in Williamsburg. Especially near Frost Ave.
SI, I want to say has the largest concentration of Italians in America.
Nassau County, Massapequa and Franklin Square have a ton of XBrooklyn and Queens folks.
A lot of Italians in lower Westchester like Yonkers, Harrison, Mamaroneck and Pelham Manor. Also Carmel and Mahopac in Putnam County.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:21 PM

148 posts, read 247,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel D'Angelo View Post
Damn, it's almost like every neighborhood I bring up has lost its majority Italian population. Beside Howard Beach, are they all gone now?
Come to Long Island
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City