Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 07:26 PM

600 posts, read 2,090,592 times

Advertisements

Whitestone, Queens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 07:34 PM

30 posts, read 118,241 times
Hey. I'm not even sure I'd consider THOSE neighborhoods to be Italian.

People talking about "where" to go for this type community or that type community but I really think it comes down to WHEN. If you want a truly, truly Italian neighborhood, you're in the wrong century. Go back 100 years. Even 50 years.

But for real, everything is so like integrated, can you really ask for a community that is predominately one race or nationality or another?

Old 12-13-2014, 07:44 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebaths View Post
Hey. I'm not even sure I'd consider THOSE neighborhoods to be Italian.

People talking about "where" to go for this type community or that type community but I really think it comes down to WHEN. If you want a truly, truly Italian neighborhood, you're in the wrong century. Go back 100 years. Even 50 years.

But for real, everything is so like integrated, can you really ask for a community that is predominately one race or nationality or another?
Don't get out to the South Shore of SI much do you?
Garner case puts Staten Island

Old 12-13-2014, 08:34 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Don't get out to the South Shore of SI much do you?
Garner case puts Staten Island
Weren't Italian-American neighborhood in NYC say 50 or 60 years more consistently Italian than the South Shore is today?

Old 12-13-2014, 10:52 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Weren't Italian-American neighborhood in NYC say 50 or 60 years more consistently Italian than the South Shore is today?
Yes, Italians were all over Staten Island including the North Shore in solid neighborhoods and or at least those that were mostly white (Irish, German, etc...), but things have changed and they have retreated pretty much to the areas near the Expressway and on the other side. In general that is pretty much how the white/European demographics is shaping up for SI as a whole.

To those looking to move to the Rock and those already there the Expressway is a dividing line they will not cross, or perhaps only to a certain point. The won't go to Saint Vincent's (or whatever it is called now) hospital because it is filled with "poor persons" and those from the projects, etc...

Even as early as the 1970's whites began to flee parts of SI for either the South Shore or New Jersey. That only picked up steam in the 1980's and 1990's. You read the obituary section of the SI Advance and you see all these names from New Jersey, Florida, North Carolina etc... all that were formerly of "New Dorp", "Todt Hill", "Emerson Hill", "West Brighton", etc.....

Back in the day, and we're talking as late as the 1980's or so you had racist incidents on Staten Island. Everything from beat downs to various forms of discrimination. Of course now that is supposedly no longer tolerated, so people pack up and move to be "around their own kind". Often it takes very little as more than two black families moving on to a street to start the ball rolling.

Same thing happened with Bayridge and Bensonhurst. As South Brooklyn changed many Italians packed up and moved to SI or elsewhere. In fact many "native" Staten Islanders (those that lived on the Rock or whose parents did before the VNB) blame many of the tensions on SI from those that crossed the Guinea Gang Plank and settled on the Rock. In turn many of the previous Italian-Americans have packed up and moved to get away from it all including the newly arrived bunch from Brooklyn.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:51 PM

929 posts, read 1,659,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Bobby Bk, Below 86th Street? Lower the street or Ave? How's around Pastosa? Villa Abbate bakery?
Avenue doesn't really matter. Bath Beach begins where the Dyker park/golf course ends. Everything below 86th is Bath. They have some Russians and whatnot, but the Chinese haven't come in nearly as large of numbers as they have on the other side of the tracks (literally, as the trains are on 86th st). I know a lot of Italians whose entire families still live in Bath Beach. It's not really the same in Bensonhurst. Most of the ones who remain in Bensonhurst are either very stubborn and their families relocated without them, or they're in the restaurant business, own a pork store, etc.

A lot of the Italian leftovers in Bensonhurst don't speak English. The average Italian-American is long gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Same thing happened with Bayridge and Bensonhurst. As South Brooklyn changed many Italians packed up and moved to SI or elsewhere. In fact many "native" Staten Islanders (those that lived on the Rock or whose parents did before the VNB) blame many of the tensions on SI from those that crossed the Guinea Gang Plank and settled on the Rock. In turn many of the previous Italian-Americans have packed up and moved to get away from it all including the newly arrived bunch from Brooklyn.
Bay Ridge is still Bay Ridge, though. Sure, there's a lot more Arabs than there were 30 years ago, but every block has a pizzeria, and the average Bay Ridge resident is white and Catholic. Fort Hamilton (below 86th st) especially. You don't find many Latinos, blacks, or Middle Eastern people between Shore Road and 3rd Ave. Mostly the "Guineas", "Micks" etc.

Last edited by Bobby BK; 12-14-2014 at 12:02 AM..

Old 12-14-2014, 01:09 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,912,628 times
Last time I was in Bay Ridge I saw a lot of Russians. This was south of 86 street and near Shore Road.

Old 12-14-2014, 01:58 AM

929 posts, read 1,659,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Last time I was in Bay Ridge I saw a lot of Russians. This was south of 86 street and near Shore Road.
Must be renters in one of the apartment buildings around there. The real estate around Shore Road is very pricy, and it's usually old time natives of Southern Brooklyn who own their own homes. Irish, Norwegian, Italian, Greek, what have you.

//www.city-data.com/zips/11209.html

Even if the data is old, 3% Russian is extremely low compared to other neighborhoods in this part of Brooklyn.

Old 12-15-2014, 03:40 PM

56 posts, read 75,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
The Neck is not only not Italian but I'm not sure if it's even majority white alone anymore. That area had the largest decrease in whites moving then any area in The Bronx which as it stand is about 10% white.

In the BX my guess would be Country Club? Morris Park but seems to be a lot of Albanians or Macedonians.
Manhattan, zero.
Queens, Howard Beach and Middle Village. Especially North of the park. Whitestone/Malba has a sizable amount but not as much as the other two.
Brooklyn, I would say Dyker Heights especially going towards 13th Ave. (Huge homes with Christmas lights)
Not sure about Bath Beach or Gravesend? Bay Ridge has some. Some old timers are in Williamsburg. Especially near Frost Ave.
SI, I want to say has the largest concentration of Italians in America.
Nassau County, Massapequa and Franklin Square have a ton of XBrooklyn and Queens folks.
A lot of Italians in lower Westchester like Yonkers, Harrison, Mamaroneck and Pelham Manor. Also Carmel and Mahopac in Putnam County.
Thanks for the detailed information. In all honesty, here in a year or so I may be moving out and plan on moving to New York. Much of the work I need is here in the city and so is much of my family. However, the main reason why I've recently been concentrating on trying to find a neighborhood in NY (Italian of course) is mainly because my family are all made up of Italian-Americans for the most part. Most of them were raised in Bensonhurst Brooklyn, and moved over to Staten Island during the cultural shift. Nonetheless, I'm still willing to find a neighborhood to move into where I can experience NY, An Italian community, and visit my family.

So now I ask this: If I were to move to NYC, what would be the most classical, Italian, and oldschool neighborhood I could find to live in? So far, I'm pretty set on either Morris Park, Howard Beach, Bay Ridge, or Staten Island.

Again, I know this is a lot to ask for, but I feel that if there's anyone that would know the most, it would be the people who live there.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:23 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,688,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel D'Angelo View Post
Thanks for the detailed information. In all honesty, here in a year or so I may be moving out and plan on moving to New York. Much of the work I need is here in the city and so is much of my family. However, the main reason why I've recently been concentrating on trying to find a neighborhood in NY (Italian of course) is mainly because my family are all made up of Italian-Americans for the most part. Most of them were raised in Bensonhurst Brooklyn, and moved over to Staten Island during the cultural shift. Nonetheless, I'm still willing to find a neighborhood to move into where I can experience NY, An Italian community, and visit my family.

So now I ask this: If I were to move to NYC, what would be the most classical, Italian, and oldschool neighborhood I could find to live in? So far, I'm pretty set on either Morris Park, Howard Beach, Bay Ridge, or Staten Island.

Again, I know this is a lot to ask for, but I feel that if there's anyone that would know the most, it would be the people who live there.
If travel is of no worry then Staten Island would fit your needs. There has to be a reason that Staten Island has earned the moniker Staten Italy. Howard Beach is very Italian and very expensive. Old or new HB are both pricey. MP, in The Bronx I don't think is as heavily Italian. I would think Country Club in The Bronx is more Italian then MP. Last time through MP there was an Albanian/Macedonian flag on every pole in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City