Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 06:01 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I agree, it is good for him if he can sort out the details of how to proceed. It's concerning, though, that he's asking for professional advice on an anonymous board where we have all sorts of trolls roaming around. Maybe he will be lucky enough to get proper advice, but how will he sort out the good advice from the bad? There's already been some terrible advice and the usual race-baiting comments above.
His problem is not rocket science he will figure it out. I'm thinking that because he's so young he came here for advice. OP get the advice of a lawyer, Hennas right you might not get the best advice from some posters.
BTW I have been in your shoes, PM me and I will help you out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 06:25 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg2013 View Post
Giving them an eviction notice tomorrow for February 1 should be fine? What do you think?
Well, you can't give them an eviction notice because you're not evicting them per se, you're simply not electing to renew their lease. That's what your written notice should reflect.

Regardless, I highly recommend getting a lawyer. NYC housing courts are insanely tenant friendly. Even in the most clear cut circumstances, you're looking at a several month delay if they don't move out by their own free will and force you to evict them.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:43 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,772,015 times
Google STEVE CROMAN and learn from the best at what you would like to do.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:45 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by q41apartments View Post
Also, can you advise what ethnicity these tenants are because normal people don't pee where they live or eat.
I've been in NY real estate for some time. Can you please advise me on which ethnicity is the ethnicity of abnormal people?

Old 12-15-2014, 09:19 AM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I've been in NY real estate for some time. Can you please advise me on which ethnicity is the ethnicity of abnormal people?
Yea, I know who the spitters are, don't know who the pee'ers could be?

Old 12-15-2014, 11:59 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
sounds like you spent millions of dollars for a headache.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:05 PM

10 posts, read 15,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
sounds like you spent millions of dollars for a headache.
Not even. I got the best deal in the world. Only the tenants are a headache which their about to be on the way out.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:36 PM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times
If you're going to be a landlord in NYC, you have to learn the rules. How to do evictions is one of the key sets of rules you have to know. There's a very specific way it has to be done. And, as a landlord, the rules are generally stacked against you. Even if you're clearly in the right, if the tenant puts up a fight, and knows what their doing, they could probably tie things up for six months.

Get a lawyer who knows what he's doing.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:40 PM

555 posts, read 616,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I'd say good for him for stepping into the NYC real estate market. He's taking steps at an early age to keep his future NYC living expenses down by owning. Unlike the other usual suspects who keep bellyaching about their rents going up.
agreed. The internet is a great source of information... just because he's asking in a forum doesn't mean he's basing his decision SOLELY off this forum.

So many posters on here come across as bitter and jealous for no reason.

Almost every thread I see has snarky, rude, bitter replies. I don't get it, if people are that upset at the thread topic, then why respond at all?

Old 12-15-2014, 03:37 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
agreed. The internet is a great source of information... just because he's asking in a forum doesn't mean he's basing his decision SOLELY off this forum.

So many posters on here come across as bitter and jealous for no reason.

Almost every thread I see has snarky, rude, bitter replies. I don't get it, if people are that upset at the thread topic, then why respond at all?
Are you referring to my post where I mentioned his young age?

If so, you are correct, it wasn't relevant to say anything about his age and I shouldn't have mentioned it. However, I also provided good information that helped the OP so much that he specifically thanked me for it.

What were the positive things you added to this thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: