Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 05:33 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by q41apartments View Post
Are you on that fake 4G that Sprint use to have called WiMax?
Considering it's impossible for a Galaxy S5 to connect to a WiMax network, yes, I'm quite sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 07:29 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post

The only issue I have with AT&T is that I do not get any service in my work building and the phone I want to get has a locked boot loader so I can't root it. I was thinking about going to T-Mobile but their monthly bill would have been a lot more than what I'm paying now, they wanted around $180 for 2 phones a month with a $260 up front payment.

I would like to borrow/rent a sprint phone for a week and check out their service before I commit. I don't want to switch services and lose my unlimited data if their service sucks.
My husband would get barely any service at work and had trouble in the surrounding area with AT&T. This was not too far from Madison Square Park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Except I find their 4G LTE service spotty when indoors. Outdoors is okay but indoors...very, very spotty or non-existent. I thought it was only me when I googled T-mobile's service and others have said the same thing. That inside, it's hard to access the internet but once you step out doors, you get it no problem.
I don't think Sprint is much better. My uncle had Sprint before he switched to Verizon and whenever he went to my parents' house in Brooklyn, he had zero service as soon as he stepped in the door.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:35 PM

913 posts, read 2,273,198 times
Sprint and Verizon use CDMA technology and are the only carriers in the world that do. CDMA has problems penitrating brick and concrete walls. Every other carrier in the world uses GSM so that's why there's issues getting a signal indoors with sprint and Verizon.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Sprint and Verizon use CDMA technology and are the only carriers in the world that do. CDMA has problems penitrating brick and concrete walls. Every other carrier in the world uses GSM so that's why there's issues getting a signal indoors with sprint and Verizon.
This is simply 100% wrong.

The network protocol (GSM or CDMA) has absolutely nothing to do with how effective the signal is at penetrating a building (or anything else, for that matter).

That is determined by the frequency at which the signal is broadcast. The lower the frequency, the greater the range and the better the signal can penetrate objects.

T-Mobile and Sprint both have primarily used high frequencies (1900Mhz) up until quite recently. AT&T and Verizon have used lower frequencies (800/850Mhz) but do add in some 1900mhz stuff in densely populated areas.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:51 PM

913 posts, read 2,273,198 times
I pressed *2 on the phone and the Sprint customer service rep said: Our CDMA phones have trouble penitrating bricks, high rises, and cement.

I guess you better press *2 and get that person fired cause he's bringing Sprint down with him.

@Deeken - you must have really bad credit because 2 lines is only $80.00 and depending on what phone you get the installments plans for 2 lines could be an extra $50.00 on top of $80 which is $130.00. Of course, you can always get a low end model phone and save the most money.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
I pressed *2 on the phone and the Sprint customer service rep said: Our CDMA phones have trouble penitrating bricks, high rises, and cement.
This is extremely basic physics. The fact that some guy working in a Sprint call center says otherwise does not change that fact. A big red flag that he's wrong is the obvious fact that the phone doesn't penetrate anything, the signal from the tower does. An 800Mhz signal transmitted from the same location and at the same power as a 1900Mhz signal will always have greater building penetration and range. It makes absolutely no difference whatsoever what the network protocol involved was (CDMA or GSM).

Physics 101: The lower the frequency, the longer the propagation wave.

Look at it on the extreme end. Communications to nuclear submarines operating in the depths of the oceans take place as low as 3hz. The wavelength of something like that will be tens of thousands of miles long. It will have insane range and be able to penetrate entire mountain ranges or thousands of feet of seawater.

It's same principle comparing any two signals, where keeping all else the same, one has a lower frequency than the other.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:35 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,654,092 times
Quote:
Sprint and Verizon should hire you as chief engineer. Your techno wisdom is second to none.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:21 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
Don't recommend. Its actually more expensive then the other companies and service isn't great.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:25 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
Quote:
Except that my husband had AT&T (trouble with signal indoors) and my uncle had Sprint (trouble with signal indoors) and the only service that has had zero issue with Verizon. Both ended up switching to Verizon.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:20 AM

95 posts, read 94,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Quote:
This is simply 100% wrong.

The network protocol (GSM or CDMA) has absolutely nothing to do with how effective the signal is at penetrating a building (or anything else, for that matter).

That is determined by the frequency at which the signal is broadcast. The lower the frequency, the greater the range and the better the signal can penetrate objects.

T-Mobile and Sprint both have primarily used high frequencies (1900Mhz) up until quite recently. AT&T and Verizon have used lower frequencies (800/850Mhz) but do add in some 1900mhz stuff in densely populated areas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
This is extremely basic physics. The fact that some guy working in a Sprint call center says otherwise does not change that fact. A big red flag that he's wrong is the obvious fact that the phone doesn't penetrate anything, the signal from the tower does. An 800Mhz signal transmitted from the same location and at the same power as a 1900Mhz signal will always have greater building penetration and range. It makes absolutely no difference whatsoever what the network protocol involved was (CDMA or GSM).

Physics 101: The lower the frequency, the longer the propagation wave.

Look at it on the extreme end. Communications to nuclear submarines operating in the depths of the oceans take place as low as 3hz. The wavelength of something like that will be tens of thousands of miles long. It will have insane range and be able to penetrate entire mountain ranges or thousands of feet of seawater.

It's same principle comparing any two signals, where keeping all else the same, one has a lower frequency than the other.
You explained more physics than "q41" can comprehend. We need more educated and knowledgeable poster like you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City