Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 10:22 AM

346 posts, read 383,362 times

Advertisements

No change for me either. I dont have a problem with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 10:25 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,423 times
No change, I feel good about the cops being around. If they weren't I'd expect 1980's crime levels or worse. I'm half-black for what it's worth.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:28 AM

8,693 posts, read 11,078,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
No change because I'm not black. The police don't bother me. And that's why they are protesting. It's all about the color of your skin.
I am not black either and I was stopped by police when I was young. Police asked me why I wasn't in school. I showed him my school schedule that I had no classes for the rest of the day & was courteous the whole time. I could of said none of your business...get a warrant...so eff off ! Or start flailing my arms in a violent manner. I am sure the outcome would have been far different.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:28 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
Less! This country is becoming more of a police state. It sucks. NY might as well be redneck now - a bunch of haters.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:31 AM

8,693 posts, read 11,078,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
Less! This country is becoming more of a police state. It sucks. NY might as well be redneck now - a bunch of haters.
if you see something, say something

Old 12-17-2014, 10:37 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
I get nervous when I see a holstered gun hanging from a cop at BJ's, maybe his wife is blowing the guy next door and he is ready to erupt.
I get EXTREMELY nervous when I walk to Penney's past a couple servicemen, like 19 years old, with machine guns outside the PATH turnstiles. This is ever day, all year.

I keep waiting for "Are your PAPERS in ORDER!!!!" And maybe a heel click.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:40 AM

678 posts, read 697,787 times
I agree im black and i havent done anything wrong never been arrested and never going to be. I wasnt mad that he was arrested i was mad because they used EXCESSIVE force too much!! the cop was still choking him AFTER they had him in cuffs.All honesty the blacks that hate cops are usually the blacks causing all the trouble. Im sure they couldve used a better strategy especially if someone is unarmed Black or White.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:43 AM

939 posts, read 795,427 times
I don't feel less safe, but then again- I'm white. I do believe there is something to this issue of white police abusing black people. However, I've also seen that much of this could be avoided if people would simply coopperate with the police- even if thay feel thay are being hassled.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:51 AM

192 posts, read 248,659 times
A lot less safe. I don't see Asian American officers murdering unarmed minorities in the numbers white officers are. Not only that, but I grew up NEXT TO to a retired 25 yr NYPD Lietenant. He said the NYPD culture today resembles that of the 70s a lot with an endemic culture of intimidation, nepotism (lots of guys hiring their family). He said the biggest surprise was, despise initiatives to make it otherwise, how much the NYPD is composed of officers who lived outside the inner city in places like Long Island, and Westchester. There is no vested interested and a huge cultural difference with the people they are policing. Many often do not know how to empathize with those they are policing because of this. He would tell me being an Italian from Brooklyn, a minority in the NYPD at the time, how so many officers would basically laugh at him, make snark remarks about him from being from the city. He saw the difference in their living geography as a sign of exploiting poor urban people as well.

Also after this whole NYPD mosque spying scandal, both the feds offices and Newark and Manhattan released statements condemning it, as it hurt their relation and recruitment with many Muslim Americans in the area (their biggest recruitment geography is N. Jersey and NYC for such communities). It shows me the huge gap in policing and enforcement between federal and local law enforcement. The Feds to their credit, are VERY peculiar with hiring, have had huge hiring freezes lately including many in defense, very careful with who they choose to contract out to.

Also frnakly....60% of today's youth is un or underemployed ...I really find it hard to justify paying a bunch of 6 weeks off 70k+ officers with no technical skills. It screams the death of merit to me.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:58 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,546,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Good for you. Behave, and you'll have no problems with the police.
Also, if you have 30 prior arrests, don't resist on the 31st.

That's the thing. You can simply rub a cop the wrong way (or the cop could be having a bad day, be annoyed by your demeanor, dreamed of some slight, etc) and he can arrest you for anything. It doesn't matter if you're innocent. The cop can charge you for disorderly conduct or some other BS, take you to booking, process you, and you wait for hours or days to see a judge who will decide your faith. Even if you are not found guilty, you just wasted your precious time and may possibly loose your job for not showing up. A vindictive cop could do this and get away it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City