Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 12:43 PM

881 posts, read 614,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruready4Bklyn View Post
Yes I am Hispanic hanging out with black kids, in a predominantly white neighborhood (Park Slope). So they get a call of a break in. But what is really going on is teens throwing snow balls at each other in the street and accidentally a window is broken. So that gives them a pass to treat us as like criminals, because therewhole career all criminals they have dealt with are minorities?
Well, look, it's human psychology -- just as you have a negative feeling now towards cops due to your experiences with cops, even though you know they're necessary as a civic institution and even though you know that individual cops vary greatly in their behaviors, it's not so hard to imagine why cops should develop certain feelings towards minorities since, let's face it, minorities make up most of the criminals in this town....

But that's why I so believe in "RoboCop" -- having intelligent (or at least semi-autonomous) machines do the "physical policing"...a lot of the tension on both sides comes from the physical nature of the situation, so with machines, it'd be pointless to shoot at them or holler at them and, for the machine, no need to worry about not making it back to the precinct in one piece....

No more racism, suspicions of racism, or any possibility of excessive force!

I don't know why De Blasio ain't trying to do this...okay, he's got the subways to deal with first -- and of course he's more interested in a presidential run come 2020 -- but anyway, I sure hope someone at One Police Plaza (if not John Jay College of Criminal Justice) is being forward-thinking about it all....

Quote:
Ok so we are handcuffedon the street, maybe that is protocol.But was throwing snow/ice at us for fun, telling me in particular to goback to my country, is that protocol?
Not anymore -- I remember cops in Chinatown doing "Chinglish" while busting them old-lady street vendors back in the '90s so like I said, NYPD's calmed down some since then.

But I'm sorry you had to undergo that. I've not had many experiences with cops, and the few I had were silly like riding my bike on the sidewalk, so I'm really sorry that you had such bad experiences. Since you're hispanic, I guess you can take comfort in the fact that there are a whole lot more hispanics on the force now. I also notice a lot of Asian/Chinese/Indian/whatever cops, including desk sergeants in the precincts, so the institutional culture's changing for sure WRT needless "color commentary" by cowboys and yahoos on the force.

Quote:
Why growing up if you called the police they would show up 3hours later or never showed up in our side of the neighborhood, was I expectingto much?
I have my own police tales of woe -- 114th PCT in Astoria -- so you're not alone...even in a non-ghetto area the typical cops seems barely more than a tenement superintendent-handyman that you call and call and does a half-azzed job anyway.

Again, the thing to realize is this: these guys and gals don't really want to be cops; many took the first city job offered out of all the civil service exams they took...and even then many were prodded by family wondering what they're going to do with their lives after college...I know two fellow Hunter College "hawks" (I'm referring to the school's team mascot) who went NYPD only as a job -- speaking of college, it's like those fellow students who really don't care for books or learning but are only going through the motions, which is why even an essay on themselves can often be so ridiculously crappy (I mean, how hard is it to do a one-page double-spaced essay on your favorite this or that for Freshman Comp???)...it's 'cause these folks don't really wanna be there but feel forced to be....

So, not justifying anything here but just so you realize who you're dealing with -- the vast majority of people in just about any job don't actually want to be there doing that job. So "customers" will always be dealing with the "fallout" from that alone, never mind all the other extenuating circumstances involved....

Quote:
I know with that example with my neighbor I can only go bywhat she said, but it appeared to me that it was all the same, all kids whereall playing with water balloons, only the black kids were scolded, she felt bad.
And I'll concede the point and agree that indeed that's grossly unfair and, even worse, breeds cynicism and contempt in the citizenry.

Quote:
I myself have witnessed people(minorities) get a summons fordrinking(alcohol) while the non-minority group on that same corner got ignored(around a college), and they non-minority group were horrified themselves becausethey realized what just occurred….
Well, again, I'm sorry that this happened. I'm just always skeptical and looking for "extenuating factors" because in literally all the well-publicized cases (Rodney King, etc.) there was a lot of "explantory context" for what went down -- such that what seemed to be outright racism winds up being much less so if at all....

And just so you know, I'm not trying to deny your experience here. I'm trying to offer that the situation may be a lot more nuanced, as is the case in literally every single well-publicized incident of alleged police brutality and racism (I'm speaking of "modern-day" incidents and not stuff going back to the Civil Rights Era, say).

Quote:
Or like going into a restaurant with a whole bunch of blackkids and they give you the bill after you order because they think you aregoing to bail out on the bill, is it because some other black kids did itbefore and they were being precautious, but isn’t that being a bit racist?
Well, I don't actually care if something's "racist" -- I just care about the truth of the matter...and if it's true that blacks/hispanics constitute a higher risk (as they indeed do in the aggregate; just ask even a black cabbie who he'd rather pick up), that's just life, you know?

Like how almost no one hires men to be baby-sitters, you know, or if a woman cries rape as opposed to a man claiming the same...just one of those things.

I think having a victimhood ideology isn't helpful, though...it's a bit like what Buddhists call "the two darts" -- the first dart is the actual pain of the situation itself but the second is the baggage we bring into the situation on top of the original pain, thereby exacerbating our suffering...not saying we should ignore racism and other unfairness but I am saying that I think being "racially focused" is almost never helpful....

I'm homeless and have been having a Dickens of a time trying to rent an apartment with government assistance...literally no one wants to take it (except for absentee landlords who already rent to low-lifes). But I don't complain about "discrimination" -- there's a karma to these things, a cause and effect that's neither moral nor immoral: it's amoral, as devoid of fairness as a rock falling on your head because of gravity and bad timing...government housing programs, I've now learned, have proved such a bad experience for those landlords who do care that they will absolutely not take 'em, even though the one I have, SOTA, will give them a whole year's payment upfront!

But I understand their reasons...being homeless myself, I can certify that the stereotypes are 99% true: I wouldn't rent to them, either!

So again, I don't think having a victimhood ideology is helpful.

Quote:
Anyways I can go on forever have to get back to work.. hehe, I don't really like to go on to too many details on here becausepeople seem unreasonable on these boards but you seemvery reasonable, thanks for hearing me out even if you don't agree, andyou don't have too.
Well, I agree more than the typical non-agree-er! And thanks for taking the time to converse about these things...there's so much media hype about how we need to have a "conversation on race" but no one really wants to do it honestly.

You know who I find inspirational, actually? That dude Daryl Davis, the black blues player who's been quietly changing minds one Klan-member at a time. They know he's "out to get them," but they welcome the chance to have a conversation (obviously, not all or even most of them) because in the end people do want to figure things out once they're past the need for ego-gratification...me personally, I actually love being wrong because then it means I've learned something!

Really, as fun as being right is, I much more prefer to be wrong (assuming I'm not going to lose my job or get killed or something)...so while I'm not entirely convinced about the validity of "racism" as a pervasive large-scale phenomenon (no doubt it exists in "the everyday" on a smaller scale) I'm thankful you've added your input to my consideration of the data.

Quote:
I am definitely one of those that do not like to throw therace-card around and I am also skeptical when others do, so I admit I am biasedjust because of my history with the NYPD but have also had so many instances of it.
Hey, look, I really do "feel for" you...it's tough being the minority, usually, whether racial or whatever...I wish it weren't so and hopefully having "RoboCops" will help alleviate a lot of the racial suspicions one day...there's no doubt that there's racism and so forth; I just feel like it's actually nothing to burn down your own neighborhood over, creating even more negative imagery (as Obama understood, the last thing we need to see is pictures of "black rage" again), while creating the impression that there's nothing meaningful one can actually do oneself....

I think we can all identify with the underdog, since all of us feel at one point or another to be a Charlie Brown or Sad Sack...the problem is that the Eric Garners and Michael Browns do not appear to be underdogs in most people's imaginations so protesting over them is reaaaaalllly counter-productive....

And most people feel that it's the NYPD which keeps us safe from the Garners, Browns, and Martins we see on the buses, subways, streets, gyms, etc.

Honestly, I really feel for you and if it's any consolation, know that the Irish were similarly despised a hundred years ago...so by 2040 or so I think there will be a whole lot less of the racism you've experienced because the causes for it shall have passed, too....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 01:35 AM

64 posts, read 52,809 times
The issue is Garner was selling Lucys..bootleg cigarettes.
Black shop owners from the area complained about Garner taking business away from them.
Blacks or so called american Indians from a reservation were supplying Garner with cigarettes.
And it is very likely Garner was lacing the cigs with PCP. PCP is an addiction issue in the Black community at the moment. And most cigs (LACEYS) that are sold in the Black community are laced with PCP.

Old 12-30-2017, 03:50 AM

7,903 posts, read 7,873,496 times
I pay them no mind. It’s funny seeing people stop what they’re doing to stare at the 5 when they come around

Old 12-30-2017, 03:50 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,031,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayInYoLane View Post
Saw this quote online by someone on yahoo and I ENDORSE THIS MESSAGE

BLACKS lives matter is BULL%$#@. When black people decide that we will no longer tolerate music that glorifies the most negative aspects of our people, when we decide to stop referring to ourselves as "TRIGGERS" BIoTCHES or HOES, when we decide to pull our damn pants up and respect ourselves, when we decide to stop allowing drug dealers to ruin our communities, when we decide to stop fighting and shooting each other, when we decide to stop robbing and stealing from each other, when we decide to stop ignoring the fact that many of our people shot and killed by police are criminals doing criminal stuff,when we decide not to RIOT, TORCH and LOOT our own neighborhoods, when we all decide to find value in education, when we decide to start being fathers and mothers to the children we bring into this world, WHEN BLACK LIVES BEGIN TO MATTER MORE TO BLACK PEOPLE then maybe we can ask others to find value in us but as long as we refuse to address the stuff that we do to OURSELVES, we have no right to expect OTHERS to sympathize #GETWOKE #DROPSMIC
Black Lives Matter is lead by three feminist SJW's of black heritage or African descent. For the state of black America, these women do not blame black people for high crime rate, don't blame black people for 70percent out of wedlock rate, don't blame people for inappropriate music, or high levels of diseases. Remember BLM is lead by three feminist SJW's. The blame for these women upon black people according to them stems from white supremacy, patriarchy and white privilege. I don't like BLM, and I believe in All Lives Matter. All peoples in this country is facing some sort of back lash against the intelligentsia who are two faced and classist DC/NYC/LA types, internal security apparatus, and the wealthy. Just a couple of years ago, a white man begged for his life by the police, the police blew his brains out. This country needs all sorts of changes from the bottom up in which all people's can have the same equal protection. But tell that to BLM, I might be labeled as a racist even though I'm also a man of color! I have already been told by black Americans to get out of this effing country, or go pray to an elephant, we don't need your kind here.

Right now in this country we live in a very divisive time and its going to get worse. All groups in this country are angry for whatever reason. SJW and BLM on the case of victimization. Don't get me wrong their is some truth to this, but one can not blame white supremacy and patriarchy for everything. Free speech is under attack, people threating folks with hunting down folks for something they said online or at a rally thus getting fired from their job. Than you have this metoo movement which I do believe some men did sexually harass women, but what constitutes sexual harassment inside the work place and with whom? Than you have these arrogant A-holes neo Nazis and these supremacist groups all up in arms, and the NFL players which they do have the right to free speech, but kneeling for a cause is not going to help in the long run? Right now in this country people must work together and put a side their differences. Sadly since people are reluctant to put a side their differences. It might be best for America to split up into 6 different countries.

Country A: Republic of Coates Watkins with its capital of Garvey. Turn South Carolina into a state for Black American Seperatist. In this country if you are white or any other race, you will be treated as a 2nd class citizen and will have to pay a special tax, while blacks enjoy lower tax rates. Also one must be 75% black or more, anything less than 75% black means you are not black enough and will have to pay a special tax. Military draft in this state is mandatory. Famous black people and black leaders are celebrated here like Mandela, Kenyatta, Musa of Mali the richest man in history. Kwanzaa is the defacto holiday. Baptist Church and AME are state religions.

Country B: Republic of Alexandria. Alexandria is named after Greek King Alexander the Great who conquered Egyptians, Jews, Nubians, Persians, Scythians, Phoenicians, Indians, Afghans and so on. Alexander the Great is the ultimate symbol of white supremacy and male patriarchy. Undefeated in battle, Alexander the great is probably the greatest white man of all time! This country is located in the Northwest which is comprises of most of Oregon state except for liberal Portland and up to Seattle which will be part of the California Republic. And this country, if one is less than 75% white, that person will pay an increased tax rate, and will also be treated as a 2nd class citizen. The main city is named after Richard Spencer and is called Spencia. Military conscription is mandatory in this state. Holidays will celebrate famous whites like Alexander the Great, a day of conquistadores, day of the Reconquista, Napoleon, the Birth of Rome, or days that celebrate European achievement over other groups.

Country C: Mid Atlantic Republic of America. This republic stretches from the Potomac all the way up to the Border of Canada with Maine. In this country, people have rights especially minorities. Say something bad about black women, Jews, Native Americans, homosexuals. Expect to be fired from your job, and placed in a prison camp. When released, that individual will be used as an example and be a mark of shamed till he or she dies. Say something bad about the government. Again expect to go to prison camp and be fired from your job. Victim of slavery, you will receive money, victim due to descendent of Holocaust, you will get money, victim of exploitation from immigration, the state will give you money. Everyone is entitled to a college degree. To even work at McDonalds one must posses a college degree. In this state NYC will be the main city, but the capital will be Boston. DC borders the Mid Atlantic Republic of America. Their is no military conscription here, however the state posses a massive internal security apparatus of 1 million police officers.

Country D: New California Republic. North of San Diego going up to as far as Seattle. This region will be called NCR or New California Republic. This state in terms of laws is very similar to the Mid Atlantic. South of LA wont be part of the NCR due to being politically different. The state has does not have military conscription, but has military volunteers and like the Mid Atlantic has large internal security apparatus. The NCR is also home to Microsoft, Google, Apple, Amazon, Adobe, and all sorts of major tech firms making it the technically most advanced state in the world. However these firms still have to pay the United States for life even though they are located in a new country.

Country E: 2nd Texan Republic. Values of this Republic is similar to that of the former United States. Young boys are required by law to serve in the military and are trained in a program to be soldiers upon adults, thus creating the best quality soldiers on earth. English and Spanish are co official languages. Immigration here is not taken lightly. This state does not have a large security apparatus, but has a large military apparatus.

Country F: The United States, well what's left of it. This country people still work together, every one still has rights, DC is still capital while Chicago has become the largest city and financial hub. In this America everyone is happy that the BLM, SJW, Neo Nazis, fascists, and all other identity politics has been eliminated by giving everyone their own state. This America still has access to the Pacific via San Diego and still controls large swaths of the Atlantic Coast. One most important thing is that this state still has control of Nuclear arms and poses a population of 200 million people with a large military. All Americans from George Washington to MLK are all celebrated.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 12-30-2017 at 04:56 PM..

Old 12-30-2017, 07:10 PM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,777,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
NYPD pigs killed her in the hospital

Old 01-03-2018, 11:59 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,706,007 times
The Garner daughter died of her heart attack, and the NY Times decides it's a good idea to let this crazy hoe Kashana Cauley go off in an opinion piece about how America is conspiring to keep black families down:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/02/o...-families.html

What the hell is wrong with these BLM nut jobs, nobody is conspiring to do anything - take some damn personal responsibility for once in your lives. YOU are responsible for your own success based on decisions and efforts, WAKE UP

Old 01-04-2018, 06:07 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,758,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
NYPD pigs killed her in the hospital
Oh...ok...

Old 01-04-2018, 07:58 PM

19,024 posts, read 13,932,533 times
I left that crazy comment for comedic relief.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:37 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,758,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I left that crazy comment for comedic relief.
Got ya.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:32 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,734,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
The Garner daughter died of her heart attack, and the NY Times decides it's a good idea to let this crazy hoe Kashana Cauley go off in an opinion piece about how America is conspiring to keep black families down:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/02/o...-families.html

What the hell is wrong with these BLM nut jobs, nobody is conspiring to do anything - take some damn personal responsibility for once in your lives. YOU are responsible for your own success based on decisions and efforts, WAKE UP
The author penned an article filled with bias opinions, misinformation, and lies. The author will have you believe that Erica Garner was a victim of police brutality and her death was a result of the NYPD. And, some of the comments on the comment board agreed that she was murdered by the NYPD. Of course, the NYT printed it. The comment section was as always infuriating and entertaining with the white guilt apologists in full force screaming about institutional racism. 20 years ago it was placism.

Anyone ever notice that the words for racism keep getting fancier yet the black community continues to swallow itself whole and blame white people? At least now the black community seemingly has found not only a sympathetic generation in millennials who are mostly white, they are also apologetic and willing to torch themselves in the most violent way possible to get us, other racists, to see things their way. If history has taught us anything and you need not look further than the neighborhoods in Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, the Bronx, Newark, NJ, Patterson NJ etc...that were once nice well-maintained neighborhoods that whites lived in we saw what happened after white flight. Minorities moved in and the place went to hell. Why is it that blacks and other minorities ruin everything nice that they come across? If everyone in the United States banded together and said ok Black community, we the 87% are going to give your 13% everything you need to better yourselves (like that hasn't been tried already) you don't need to work, your food, clothing, housing, smartphone, internet, and x-box will be provided to you free of cost.

All you have to do is keep your homes clean and neighborhoods neat, don't engage in criminal activity and go to school to get the highest form of education one can possibly achieve. Then go forth into the world and become a productive member of society.

What do you think would happen? How many of you think a scenario like this would work? Chances are it wouldn't. The old you can lead a horse to water saying comes to mind. How many times are we as a society are going to continue to make the same mistakes over and over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City