Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2014, 02:39 PM

56 posts, read 74,635 times

Advertisements

So I've been contemplating the idea of moving to Staten Island and have been doing a little bit of research on these forums about the area. However, as I've been reading people keep telling me theres a lot of "gotti kids" can someone please explain what this is? Should I be concerned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 03:07 PM

56 posts, read 74,635 times
Still don't know what to say. :/

Old 12-18-2014, 03:44 PM

545 posts, read 1,092,794 times
GUIDO's. possibly sons of mobsters. yes real mobsters still exist in staten island, to some extent. SI is just very italian so you will have these kinds of subcultures. SI isn't very dangerous though, so i wouldn't worry about it. fuhgetaboutit..

Old 12-18-2014, 04:31 PM

31,609 posts, read 26,449,195 times
Don John Gotti was one of the most famous (and dangerous) Mafia men of NYC. Nicknamed "Teflon Don" because countless indictments and so forth did not result in convictions. As with everything the man's luck ran out and he was finally made to pay for his crimes. See: John Gotti - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Gotti kids" is what some on Staten Island call the children of Mafia men. It is usually a derogatory slur against all Italian-American kids who behave and act a certain way since most of SI, Brooklyn or whatever wouldn't know a real made-man or boss if he pissed on them to put out a fire.

There is no shortage of wannabe gangsters on Staten Island as in Brooklyn, Queens and elsewhere in NYC. Many of them aren't even Italian but Albanian, Puerto Rican, Russian, etc... but like to talk the talk. This culture grew out of various films of the 1980's and 1990's such as the Godfather and most recently the success of the series "The Sopranos".

Again most of these wannabes wouldn't know a real made man if he pissed on them because they were on fire.

Staten Island was and still is home to a decent number of legitimate Mafia (real) such as the late Paul Castellano. Paul Castellano - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They moved there for the same reasons everyone else did, Staten Island is (or was) a nice place to live with good housing and schools. It also is err, um, shall we say not as racially diverse in certain parts which suits as they don't like the moulinyan. Well that is to say they don't like them living on their streets, going to the same schools as their kids, etc....

What you do have on SI is no shortage of teste calde (hot heads) who think who they are. Such young punks are likely to be nicknamed "Gotti kids" because of their oversized idea of entitlement and big mouths. These so called princes and princesses like you to believe if you mess with them they can make a phone call or tell their fathers and......

Do you have anything worry about? No, just as with most everyone else on SI just go about your business and mind the same and you should be fine.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:55 PM

17,877 posts, read 15,731,249 times
this whole guido phenomenon is created by mass media for entertainment and publicity.

they are kind of like the hipster, and I believe they were created to draw attention away from the hipster whose parents most likely are involved with MSM. Like the hipster, they just popped up outta nowhere. But the guido is still much less visible and in population than the hipster.

I mean really how many hardcore guidos have you actually seen. I have lived in NJ, and NYC my whole and I can count on my one hand how many guidos I have seen.

You have more to fear from the Hipster because you are most likely to run into them than a guido you saw in that picture above.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
this whole guido phenomenon is created by mass media for entertainment and publicity.

they are kind of like the hipster, and I believe they were created to draw attention away from the hipster whose parents most likely are involved with MSM. Like the hipster, they just popped up outta nowhere. But the guido is still much less visible and in population than the hipster.

I mean really how many hardcore guidos have you actually seen. I have lived in NJ, and NYC my whole and I can count on my one hand how many guidos I have seen.

You have more to fear from the Hipster because you are most likely to run into them than a guido you saw in that picture above.

Don't know where you lived in NYC but am here to tell you have seen plenty of "guidos" both back in the day and the recent version. Not just on my native Staten Island, but Bensonhurst, Bayridge, and other areas of Brooklyn along with Queens and small parts of the Bronx.

Of course not all guidos had DA hairstyles, that is they took many forms. Or have you forgotten this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeZlXJtLhMQ

Will give you the look of a "guido" seems to change depending upon what version of Italian-American male Hollywood/the entertainment world is promoting.

Lords of Flatbush
Arthur Fonzarelli (Happy Days)
Vinny Barbarino (Welcome Back Kotter)
Tony Manero (Saturday Night Fever)

The largest and most steady recent influence to date however has been from the Mafia films (the Godfather) and of course The Sopranos. Shows like the latter have glorified the most horrible aspects of what many *think* are Italian-American male behavior/manners.

Yes before you had guidos but they were also firemen, policemen, construction workers, etc... now everyone wants to be a big shot.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:23 PM

Oh I almost forgot; there was a reason why HBO chose the part of NJ they did to set "The Jersey Shore" series, and why they choose who they did to be in that dog of a show.

Though most of the main actors were not Italian-American a few were such as "The Situation" (Michael Paul Sorrentino) whose parents took the well travelled path from Staten Island (West Brighton ) to Manalapan Township, NJ. That place along with Marlboro, Middletown and a few others... well you already know so won't go into it deeper.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:37 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,596,740 times
Gotti kids...means more money then brains...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City