Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 01:12 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,043,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
The worst year was 1990.

It really wasn't THAT bad overall. It was nothing like present-day Detroit. The murder rate in 1990 was about 31 per 100,000. About equal to Philly now..
Yeah but you had neighborhoods like Hunts Point setting the record for murder rates. It was bad, my precinct the 46 had 83 murders in 1990.....last year they had 12.

But most of the problems were due to crack.

But IMO, NYC 1991-1999 was still pretty bad. Lots of graffiti and an above average crime rate.

Post 2000 it's much better though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 02:15 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,863 times
Quote:
my precinct the 46 had 83 murders in 1990.....last year they had 12
And precints like the 44 & the 75 were accumulating around 120 homicides a year. I think the 28 & 73 Pct had the highest per capita homicide rate since they have just over 1 square mile.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:30 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,361,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
The worst year was 1990.

It really wasn't THAT bad overall. It was nothing like present-day Detroit. The murder rate in 1990 was about 31 per 100,000. About equal to Philly now.

But all I can go off of are grandparents and parents photos and crime rates. I wasn't around 'til '91. But I can say the City looked like ****. I find nothing about it back then appealing. It is much better today. Also, back then the City was extremely segregated... Not the characteristics of a truly diverse city like it is now where people are integrated more.

Why it is constantly glorified as the good days of New York is beyond me. The present days are the good days of New York. New Yorkers 35 years + seem to dog today's New York as too Disney-like and gentrified, but I don't see it. I remember walking throuh New York when I was 6 years old (1997). It looked and felt the same as it does now. Small corner stores, many lights, darker sidestreets, garbage bags on the sidewalk, bagel shops, street vendors, saxophone players, breakdancers, etc. It's still here, older folks obviously just miss the old days of Kool G Rap and Led Zepplin and are trying to think of reasons to say New York is nothing like it used to be.
Nostalgia makes you forget about a lot of things.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
And precints like the 44 & the 75 were accumulating around 120 homicides a year. I think the 28 & 73 Pct had the highest per capita homicide rate since they have just over 1 square mile.
The 44 had 89 murders in 1990....only 7 more than the 46

You want bad? Check out the 48th.....137 murders!! and I think that's in a smaller area.

And you want high murder rate? The 41st, in 1990, set the all-time record in murder rate (per 100,000)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Off-topic but

The 46th precinct, after being held down for most of last year seems to be on the verge of exploding. The last 28 days, there has been an 25% increase in crime.

The 52nd seems to have calmed down tremendously. A couple of months away from being the only Bronx precinct to see an increase in crime, due to a VERY BUSY september/october......crime has dropped dramatically...last 28 days 2% idecrease.....4% drop this week from 2007...and 10% drop year to date from 2007.

The 48th has seen an 100% increase in murder this week to the same week in 2007....50% increase in murders for the 28 days......and so far an infinite increase in murders this year as compared to last.

So if im a betting man........I'd say the 46th will have the highest crime rate......the 52nd the lowest and the 48th the most murders. This is for the Bronx.

Ok sorry for my rambling.........I was bored!

proceed

Old 01-10-2008, 10:26 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,001,453 times
SuperMario your fear mongering and doom and gloom about crime is funny. The last 28 days has seen a 25% increase in crime...so it is on the verge of EXPLODING? That extrapolation is just not based on anything of any stastical value but it IS based on your FEELINGS..and what counts as EXPLODING? And the 25% increase is what in real numbers? If there are 4 robberies...and then 1 additional one..that is a 25% increase...doesn't sound like EXPLODING does it? Thanks for the hype.

And SuperMario is not done yet with his negative hype...there was 0 (none) murders at this time last year...however this year there is 1....so there is a 100% increase in murder....sounds really bad when you say 100% but the fact is it is not 100 murders to 200 murders which would be 100% AND significant...it is 0 versus 1. Thanks again for the hype.

But its gets better...SuperMario then says "and so far an INFINITE numbers of murders this year as compared to last." If this is not negative hype I don't know what is...infinite number of murders? You are kidding right..nice job on your "reporting."

Your negative spin is just that....all negative hype. And if I were a betting man, I would bet that crime would in fact be DOWN this year as it is an ELECTION YEAR so the police will feel the pressure from the highest levels to make things look and feel safer...and a further clamp on crime will ensue. I will gladly take any bet you throw out their SuperMario....although I think a more apt name would be SuperWario. (how are your eyes by the way..healed?)

Old 01-10-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
SuperMario your fear mongering and doom and gloom about crime is funny. The last 28 days has seen a 25% increase in crime...so it is on the verge of EXPLODING? That extrapolation is just not based on anything of any stastical value but it IS based on your FEELINGS..and what counts as EXPLODING? And the 25% increase is what in real numbers? If there are 4 robberies...and then 1 additional one..that is a 25% increase...doesn't sound like EXPLODING does it? Thanks for the hype.
How am I fear monegring when I also mentioned a precinct with a DROP in crime. It's not like I am saying OH NO, ALL THE PRECINCTS ARE GOING TO HELL! notice I only mentioned 3, 3 of which I tought interesting. My opinion about the 46 comes from crime stats and the numerous awful neighborhoods it includes. For a time last year, I wondered why was the crime dropping, when everytime I go through the nabe I see no change from a few years back. And 28 days moreso than 10 days give us insight that crime has significantly gone up for a month. Not a small sample. Especially when it's up 20%.

Quote:
And SuperMario is not done yet with his negative hype...there was 0 (none) murders at this time last year...however this year there is 1....so there is a 100% increase in murder....sounds really bad when you say 100% but the fact is it is not 100 murders to 200 murders which would be 100% AND significant...it is 0 versus 1. Thanks again for the hype.
You're very welcomed. Fact is if you would know what's going on in those neighborhoods you would know that it's likely not stopping at 1. Do you know when the 1st person was killed in the 48 last year? If not then you have no point. That neighborhood currently has rival gangs beefing and drug dealers defending their turf. Leads to alot of murders. That is why you hear so much about the 48.

Quote:
But its gets better...SuperMario then says "and so far an INFINITE numbers of murders this year as compared to last." If this is not negative hype I don't know what is...infinite number of murders? You are kidding right..nice job on your "reporting."
I said infinite because I took the numbers from the website. Since last year had 0, the percent increase was "....", meaning infinite.

Quote:
Your negative spin is just that....all negative hype. And if I were a betting man, I would bet that crime would in fact be DOWN this year as it is an ELECTION YEAR so the police will feel the pressure from the highest levels to make things look and feel safer...and a further clamp on crime will ensue. I will gladly take any bet you throw out their SuperMario....although I think a more apt name would be SuperWario. (how are your eyes by the way..healed?)
lol......Ok then, we'll see. I have articles showing that NYC is in debt. Meaning that they have to cut down on many public services. Look out for an increase in graffiti, and with less cops and increase in loitering. The city can only go so low for crime. It's only natural for it to rise. I'll post it in a new thread.

And yes, I recovered well. Thanks for asking.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:23 AM

SuperWario....you were/are fear mongering. "I wondered why was the crime dropping, when everytime I go through the nabe I see no change from a few years back." This is exactly what I mean when I say people have no idea what is happening in thesde communities. You drive by in your car with the windows up, car doors locked braced with fear or whatever other fear driven nonsensical attitude, and ONLY see the same boarded up houses and kids hanging out...but you are not IN the nieghborhood and DO NOT SEE the changes that have/are occuring. Your drivebys or brief walk from the car to the store is hardly knowledge of anything now is it? Its no wonder you think nothing has changed.

And 99% of the neighborhoods have gangs...some more obvious than others...gangs and drugs are a problem are everywhere..thanks for yoru insight. I do understand that NYC is in debt, and there will be necessary changes in the coming years...crime MAY in fact increase..but the LONGTERM trend has been A HUGE decrease...and there is no reason to believe that the trend will reverse..unless you know something that the media, the city, and the elected officials do not know. Your assertions are your FEELINGS and what you think....

Would you have thought 7 years ago that they would be building and selling $400,000-$800,000 condos in the heart of Mott Haven? That rents would be $2,000 for lofts in Mott Haven? That homes would be selling for $600,000? Not at all...and that was in 2001 when the city was in a recession, and after the WTC atrocity...everyone forcasted doom and gloom...business and people would flee the city and they spun all kinds of information, theories, "facts" and the result? The city is stronger, healthier, safer, and companies as well as people are paying astronomical amounts to relocate/stay here.

But then again....you have a "hunch" about crime. I will take that bet.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:22 PM

18 posts, read 57,784 times
YOUR WRONG. how is he fear mongering???? hes telling the TRUTH.... and how can you say gangs are runnin the city???? you only see lots of street gangs in the poor parts of nyc. if you see them in times square you know they dont live nowhere around there now and the fiscal crisis of 2001 we almost had aint the same as the one coming up. not only is this one going to hit because of a cooling real estate market but the whole nation as a whole is expecting to head into a recession that would make it worse. either way it's almost a guerentee. city spending is up 25% since bloomturd took office but i have to give the guy credit for at least putting it out there. thing is not much he can do its just the way of things. wont effect him anyway hell be out of office. in the end tho its gonna be places like mott haven thats gonna really feel the worst of it.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:22 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times
I'm laughing at how guy keeps calling supermario, SuperWario.

I guess he thinks your evil mario.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:00 PM

NYCTGO...when he says that there is 100% increase in murder from this time last year.....when in fact the reality is there were 0 murders this time last year and there is 1 now.....then yes..that is fear mongering. Furthermore, when he says he cannot understand wyy crime is going down based on his "goes through the nabe" demonstrates he has no idea what is happening in the community and is basing his opinion based on what he sees during his brief drive through.

You are asserting that the recession that is upcoming is GUARANTEED to be worse than the recession of 2001, which included the total meltdown of the dotcom industry as well as the stockmarket (Nasdaq) tied to, plus the destruction of thw WTC and isolation of the entire districts for months, plus the job losses and other problems that ensued based on what? More of the same doom and gloom forcasts/rhetoric that the media, "experts" and other people on these forums pushed that were completely WRONG. After all was said and done in 2001, the city became even stronger and better place to live with people nationally and internationally snapping up property briskly and companies paying exorbitant prices to stay/relocate to the city.

But then again...you know the future so you must be right...the city is guaranteed to sink into an abyss right? Thanks for your fear mongering...sounds like you have a follower SuperWario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City