U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 02:39 PM

171 posts, read 670,673 times

Advertisements

I already been told that it is part of New York city. I did some searching using online classifieds and I found quite a few homes below that range and they were not bad at all but like I said, we are not moving there. Not section 8 but something like it.
Rate this post positively

Old 01-07-2008, 09:45 AM

1,728 posts, read 2,977,205 times
Tasha, when i was living in Queens, it cost me $1400 for a 1BR in Rego Park. That's pretty typical for 1BR in other areas of Queens too.

As for subsidized housing, I have had experience with this too having helped some people applied for it...

Typically here are some requirements:

1. You do need to be living in the city to even apply to new ones.
2. Your income should be near 30K +/-10K depending on family members
3. For existing subsidized housing, the wait list is loooong! Especially the good ones.
4. Sometimes you also need to work for the city (ie. cop, school teacher, etc.) to qualify.

10 years ago, it took a friend of mine 2 years to get into a midtown subsidized building. He's paying under $1000 for a 4BR but those are VERY rare in the city. He considered himself very lucky, and so do many tenants in that building. Once they get in, they RARELY move out 'cus they know what a bargain it is living in the city for under $1000/mo. Most likely, they will pass the apartment on to a surviving family member, making it harder for others to get in.

Good luck to you though!

Old 01-07-2008, 10:03 AM

Default kimchee

Thank you for the info. Let me tell you more. I am already on housing in Ohio so I am portable. I talked to someone at the housing authority and they said the only thing I have to do is get my paperwork sent to them. I understand that the housing up there is expensive. I was going to try and find a job before we moved. I do not have subsidized housing. Here in Ohio that is something different. That is mostly for seniors but it works about the same. What do you think should be the steps I take?

Old 01-07-2008, 10:55 AM

88 posts, read 515,133 times
Sorry to say, I have to agree with the rest...you are going to find it impossible to find a 3-4 bd for that price range anywhere in the NYC region. You may have to consider downsizing as most others are forced do over here or a just completly different area. I live upstate NY and commute to work in the city (It's a 1 hour and 15-30 minute commute) and pay $900 for a 1 bedroom! To get any cheaper you would have to go further upstate...much further. Anywhere that is within a 2 hr radius of NYC area will have exaggerated rental prices.

I wish I could give you some direction, but to be honest, I don't have a clue where you can find a 3-4bd apartment in NY for that price. Sorry.

Wish you luck.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:57 AM

10,630 posts, read 17,877,988 times
I'm pretty sure vouchers are not portable into the NYC system, as they are not issuing NYC vouchers anymore except in emergency cases.

There is only Section 8, and public housing. If you are not in public housing, you have Section 8.
Quote:
NYCHA reserves Section 8 vouchers for emergency applicants who are referred by the New York City Administration for Children's Services (ACS) or those who are classified as intimidated witnesses or victims of domestic violence. As of May 15, 2007 NYCHA will only accept Section 8 applications from emergency applicants, until further notice

Old 01-07-2008, 11:05 AM

Default relocating

We are going to stay in Ohio to I finish college but yes New York is taking people who already have assistance. I am on metropolition housing. Maybe it is public house there. I called last month about it but I would rather be off housing and have the money to afford a nice home or apartment. Lord knows I do not want to be in the bad areas!

Old 01-07-2008, 03:30 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,693,267 times
Tasha you have no hope of finding a 2 bedroom apt in that range, let alone 3-4 bedrooms. You will be looking for something that does not exist..and likely will never exist again. Don't come here...you will be sorely disappointed and your entire family will be living in a homeless shelter if you do.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:11 PM

Default guywithacause

I have already said that I am not moving there. I am staying in Ohio where the people are nice and the homes are cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread
>