Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 02:40 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
So working/middle class do not exist. Its just poor or rich in NYC? If I was poor and cant afford a ticket to a new place to live, I'd just stay and remain on welfare, section or NYCHA and live off of corporate welfare. Again If I was middle class making 42-70k and struggling to get by, Id be doing more and more relocation homework.
42k is POOR in NYC! At best you would either be living with roommates, multiple relatives, or living in the fringes of the city or the suburbs. Ditto 50k-60k. You'd need to earn well into the six digits to have a stable middle class life in NYC (living in safe neighborhood, sending kids to good schools, financial security, etc). Just because you make too much money for NYCHA doesn't mean you're middle class. People making 50k often live in the same neighborhoods as those with section 8!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 02:54 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
42k is POOR in NYC! At best you would either be living with roommates, multiple relatives, or living in the fringes of the city or the suburbs. Ditto 50k-60k. You'd need to earn well into the six digits to have a stable middle class life in NYC (living in safe neighborhood, sending kids to good schools, financial security, etc). Just because you make too much money for NYCHA doesn't mean you're middle class. People making 50k often live in the same neighborhoods as those with section 8!
One can live fine on the incomes I posted in select neighborhoods that aren't gentry, or up and coming. You focus way to much on hip and gentry which all of NYC is not in that segment or going that route. If I was making 100k in the city I'd most likely be living in the suburbs like most 6 figure people I know. Poverty in NYC is up, way up and most of these folks who are in poor have generational poverty issue like high school dropout, multiple kids, out of wedlock births, in and out of jail and so forth. These folks who have these issues are staying put and these are in the millions of New Yorkers who are like that. Show me some info that NYC is dumping poor on Pennsylvania, Texas, NC, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Virginia or some other hick state. Poor people are staying put especially since NYC is a very liberal friendly welfare state where they have to house the poor, this does not happen in places like down south. Also NYC attracts plenty of poor people too like many on this thread have posted. If I was you, since your Ivy league grad, you should link up with elitist to end or suspend welfare benefits to the poor and give them money to head Down South. I hope Whole Foods and Chipotle becomes self automated! I would like to help you with actively reducing poverty in NYC be throwing poor people out of the region. Send me an pm if you want.

Old 12-25-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
One can live fine on the incomes I posted in select neighborhoods that aren't gentry, or up and coming. You focus way to much on hip and gentry which all of NYC is not in that segment or going that route. If I was making 100k in the city I'd most likely be living in the suburbs like most 6 figure people I know. Poverty in NYC is up, way up and most of these folks who are in poor have generational poverty issue like high school dropout, multiple kids, out of wedlock births, in and out of jail and so forth. These folks who have these issues are staying put and these are in the millions of New Yorkers who are like that. Show me some info that NYC is dumping poor on Pennsylvania, Texas, NC, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Virginia or some other hick state. Poor people are staying put especially since NYC is a very liberal friendly welfare state where they have to house the poor, this does not happen in places like down south. Also NYC attracts plenty of poor people too like many on this thread have posted. If I was you, since your Ivy league grad, you should link up with elitist to end or suspend welfare benefits to the poor and give them money to head Down South. I hope Whole Foods and Chipotle becomes self automated! I would like to help you with actively reducing poverty in NYC be throwing poor people out of the region. Send me an pm if you want.
Poverty in the Bronx may be up, but that's because poor people are pushed out of Manhattan, Western Brooklyn, and Western Queens. You cannot get a new apartment in those places on government programs, but you can in the areas I mention below. Section 8 people (the program has been closed to new applicants for years, something you neglect to mention) have to move to fringe parts of the city or leave town.

So if you are going to make those low salary ranges you posted, you'll be living in the ghetto (the Bronx, Eastern Brooklyn), Eastern Queens (Jamaica), the Rockaways, or Staten Island (basically not a part of NYC). That's if you chose to remain in NYC.

I really don't care what NYC's poor population does. It's up to each person to individually do whatever with their lives.

You do the research BronxGuyanese if you want to know where NYC's poor population is going, btw. Others have told you where, but you're in denial about that. First you'd have to admit you are one of them, which might be painful.

NYC does not have to house the poor unless you count shelters as housing the poor. One cannot force landlords to take government programs. I actually know someone on HASA (the Aids welfare program). He cannot even get an apartment in the South Bronx as landlords there will not deal with programs, ditto Bushwick or Bedstuy. He has only been able to find places in the worst parts of Jamaica, the worst parts of the Rockaways, East New York, Brownsville, Cypress Hills, and certain bad parts of the North Bronx. A lot of people like him stay in HOMELESS SHELTERS (it's extremely difficult for them to get a new apartment). Some of the population if they have family in other states willing to accomodate them actually MOVE to that family.

Oh, and another way you prove your own poverty is jealousy of those on government benefits. It takes a long time to get an apartment that way in NYC (maybe years even) and it's really a horrible way of life that these days is mostly done by people with physical or mental illness. Easy welfare benefits have been more or less terminated in NYC. You have to clean up the parks or work in the subway stations just to get cash assistance. I've had friends and relatives who worked for HRA and the non profit sector and I've volunteered and worked in the non profit sector myself so I know that system pretty well. Poor people are actually pretty mobile it's not too hard to scrape up the money for a bus or a plane ticket if you can work out a place to stay where you're going (family or a friend) who will let you crash while you get on your feet. But you claim minimum wage people can't move (they can and do when they want to) because you have hundreds of excuses why you can't move out of the awful NYC yourself. What a loser.

Old 12-25-2014, 03:31 PM

For what people in the nation as a whole understand to be middle class, they are homeowners, they can either live near good public schools and or send their kids to good private schools, etc.

You're not doing that in NYC on 42k.

I understand you would be out of touch, you lived too many years in the Bronx, NY. Bronx is the state's poorest county. Manhattan is the real New York (mailing address New York, NY) though Brooklyn has become a major destination in it's own right and Queens is getting there. The Bronx has quite a ways to go, put it like that. But if it does get better that will be because the city pushes the poor people in the Bronx out like they did the poor in Manhattan, Western Brooklyn, and Western Queens.

Old 12-25-2014, 03:31 PM

34,095 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
That was a very funny comment. I spitted out my coffee on my computer workstation while laughing. I hope you will forward my company a check if you would like. Thanks for being a grammar cop.

I don't want to be rude or what not. You probably see me as annoying as Sobroguy with the combination of Airborneguy mixed into together. Hell you probably dislike any user with the words guy in it. But back to the topic. Why I haven't left NYC or NYS yet? Easy and simple, but first I don't want to say anything online about my personal life so I'm going to give you the truth. My Kin is not doing so good and death has been knocking on my Kinsman door for quite sometime. I cant abandoned a love one just as yet due to their poor health and needed even though my kinsman is being aided. Again I also don't want to transport someone that is sick across another state, and again this isn't Oregon trail. My siblings in general desire to move out of NYC when that time is right. Again its not because of affordability, the city just does not suite my need or their needs anymore. I was in NC last month and spoke with a broker and eh showed me floor plans for a condo. I have the money for a down payment sitting in the bank in my savings account. Sadly I cant put a downpayment on a property in NYC unless if its Mitchel Lama. But until then I cant leave until My Kinsman is alright and full of health and joy, sadly that is becoming less and less unlikely. I just have to hope for the best. But in the meantime I sure don't want to relocate to Florida. I hear people move to Florida to die. Is that true?
You're slowly becoming one of those people who sign on here to complain about NYC. I'm just saying. Hope your fam pulls through. Happy Holidays.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-25-2014, 03:48 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You're slowly becoming one of those people who sign on here to complain about NYC. I'm just saying. Hope your fam pulls through. Happy Holidays.
Yo my bro, my biggest complain about NYC is Knicks, Yankees and Giants. I hope those guys do well next year. This is what I care about most as a New Yorker. Thanks for the support though and like wise.

Old 12-25-2014, 08:07 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
same can be said about large swaths of NYC - as well as the tolls here!

Key difference: NYC versus FL state!

Old 12-25-2014, 08:44 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Meaning they are poor and as retirees couldn't really afford to retire NYC. People try to hide behind this middle class crap instead of admitting the truth.

If they could have afforded to stay in NYC, they would have.
Agreed, if people can afford to stay here - even if things are a little tight - they will. The new trend on LI is to get older people on Long Island to downsize to a smaller home or a condo instead of moving south.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:30 AM

355 posts, read 390,746 times
FL has a higher population then NY. So more people think FL living is better then NY. Once again NY We're the best in the world , only uneducated poor people reside or would want to leave NY.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:41 PM

814 posts, read 911,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotstoboiledpenuts View Post
FL has a higher population then NY. So more people think FL living is better then NY. Once again NY We're the best in the world , only uneducated poor people reside or would want to leave NY.
Actually the south is not a bunch of uneducated hicks, I went to school, live in the south, and was born in New York, that's one of New Yorks problems, it thinks it's above everyone else, and it's not.

As far as Florida goes only place I like is Jacksonville, if I had to live in Fla. That's where I would go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City