Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2014, 10:01 AM

510 posts, read 1,443,148 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if anyone might be able to help me. I'm trying to help my mom get her high school transcripts but we're having trouble. She called and spoke to someone a few months ago who told her to send a $10 money order and she would be sent her transcripts. My mom isn't the best with this stuff and has no clue who she spoke to and doesn't remember exactly where she sent it, but it was sent in August and she has heard nothing since . Trying to help her straighten this out now.

She's a 1973 graduate of The High School of Music & Art on 135th and Convent (Which has since become Laguardia). Anyone know where I might start with this? I did a quick search on the department of ed website but didn't see anything.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 10:37 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,726,707 times
I don't know if they would even still have them but you would likely have to contact the NYC Board of Ed Contact - New York City Department of Education

That would be the best starting point.

Good luck!

Old 12-26-2014, 05:51 AM

2,498 posts, read 3,773,338 times
If you live in the city go to the school.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:31 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,677,856 times
about a decade ago i got transcripts for a client who requested them from Bx Community College. I sent the request directly to the college and we got transcripts dated back to 73-77

Old 12-26-2014, 01:06 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,698,340 times
It's not a problem getting old transcripts from CUNY, but not so easy for high schools.

Were your mom's transcripts computerized at that time? Some were and some were just paper records. I know that back in the 80s, it was fairly easy to get HS transcripts from the 70s, as long as the HS transcipts were computer generated.

I would imagine that HS of Music and Art, which has so many famous alumni, would still have an active alumni association with people from that year, including teachers and adminstrators. I would contact them and see if someone knows someone who knows someone could tell you what happened to the records. A generic call to the NYCBOE will probably not get you anywhere. It's very hard to even reach a live person on their system. Even though the school moved and changed its name, I'd give them a call and ask how far back they keep their own records. That may give you a start and see if someone there would know or could give you an idea how to trace older records. At least try to get a name and extension number for the BOE to call.

Good luck and would appreciate it if you could update us. I'm curious.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:23 PM

5,298 posts, read 6,176,126 times
It sounds like your mom was scammed. Does she still have the carbon copy from the money order? If she does, she can get a copy of the cancelled check. There are a lot of unscrupulous check cashing outfits in the city that will cash altered or 2nd or even 3rd party checks or money orders if the alteration is not too obvious.

High schools and colleges will send out official transcripts on request to college and grad school admissions offices but you would need to fill out an official request form for a copy of your own transcripts or visit the records office of your high school in person. Having computerized grading or old fashioned hand entered grading should not make any difference.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:25 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,954,113 times
High school transcripts are legal documents and are not destroyed.

It took me all of two minutes to find this on Google: http://laguardiahs.org/wp-content/up...iptRequest.pdf

Old 12-27-2014, 06:57 PM

510 posts, read 1,443,148 times
Thanks Bugsy, I'm gonna give the phone number on that form a call on Monday. Appreciate all of the advice everyone! Will update once I figure anything further out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City