Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 03:06 AM

42 posts, read 56,816 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for your reply.
How about the safety. I know that Woodlawn is safe. But the train will go through some station in bronx. Is stopping in these station, while i'm sitting on train is safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 06:10 AM

31 posts, read 40,313 times
This is a easy commute, it is a short ride on a bus, first stop on the subway so you always get a seat, it should take about 1 hour.

Old 12-26-2014, 07:13 AM

993 posts, read 1,384,504 times
Concerns re: Bronx pass-through commuting come more from pictures of subways in the 1970's and 80's than today, or short-term recent tourists who were just too scared of other people and not in NYC long enough to settle in.

In NYC, it's not other people but the complete absence of people that causes discomfort in unfamiliar neighborhoods.

10 p.m. is still early in the evening around here. Every subway car (car=one unit of the long subway train) will have people at that hour. You are never closed into a single car, and there are no assigned seats. If you happen to be riding a car that you notice getting nearly empty of passengers, just exit and re-enter the next car, at any station stop, to sit with more people again. You're not trapped in the car.

To be strategic, sit yourself fairly near a strong-looking, middle-aged female, around age 35-50, who looks like she's coming home from work. Nobody will dare mess with her, and she won't bother with you either. In general, sit near other people and you'll be - and hopefully feel - safer. Don't separate yourself. If ever an unpleasant or difficult person enters your car as it rides through, you'll have plenty of company with more experience dealing with difficult people.

When I first moved here, my family told me, "You'll see stuff, but you're safe." Yes, some people are homeless here, or unwilling/afraid to sleep in a shelter for the homeless. They might walk onto your subway car, ranting.. or sleep on a bench.. in most any neighborhood. Some have mental illnesses that are frightening to them, more than to you.

But they are not here to hurt you. These unfamiliar scenes that do occur on subway cars here everyday, impact visitors to NYC and the stories travel worldwide. Perhaps if you differentiate between what you might see, and what's an actual threat to you, it'll be easier to understand.

Quoting Dasani's mother, "That guy you're so afraid of -- he is the one most likely to come to your aid, if you ever get in any real trouble around here."

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 12-26-2014 at 08:00 AM..

Old 01-01-2015, 08:35 AM

279 posts, read 521,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver77 View Post
Hi;

I'm will be studying in NYU and I'm thinking living in Woodlawn. So I just wonder if the if the commuting between the two is easy.

Thanks
The other option that has been left out that may offer you a one seat ride is taking the BxM4 express bus. It runs right down Katonah Avenue all the way to the city border. The last stop in Manhattan is 23rd street. With no traffic, the commute can be just an hour. Depending on what time you leave to NYU this may make the most sense because you may be able to beat some of the traffic making it a tolerable commute. All of the other commutes would require at least one transfer. Depending on where your NYU classes are located, you may be able to walk from 23rd street to them. If you're going to NYU I would imagine that the higher fare won't kill your pockets. It is $6.00 each way, but you have cushioned seats that recline with climate control. There is also a weekly pass that the MTA sells for $55.00 which can also be used on the subway and the city buses, brining the expense down considerably.

Metro North also has a monthly pass but it is only good for the Harlem line and cannot be used for the city buses or subways, so you would have to buy a Metrocard.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:10 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by on the avenue View Post
The other option that has been left out that may offer you a one seat ride is taking the BxM4 express bus. It runs right down Katonah Avenue all the way to the city border. The last stop in Manhattan is 23rd street. With no traffic, the commute can be just an hour. Depending on what time you leave to NYU this may make the most sense because you may be able to beat some of the traffic making it a tolerable commute. All of the other commutes would require at least one transfer. Depending on where your NYU classes are located, you may be able to walk from 23rd street to them. If you're going to NYU I would imagine that the higher fare won't kill your pockets. It is $6.00 each way, but you have cushioned seats that recline with climate control. There is also a weekly pass that the MTA sells for $55.00 which can also be used on the subway and the city buses, brining the expense down considerably.

Metro North also has a monthly pass but it is only good for the Harlem line and cannot be used for the city buses or subways, so you would have to buy a Metrocard.
That's assuming the OP actually lives in Woodlawn proper. It sounds like the OP is planning on living near the Woodlawn station on the (4) train (which is still served by the BxM4, but is obviously much closer to the subway).

And I really doubt the OP would want to walk all the way down from 23rd Street to NYU. The absolute closest point of NYU is at 8th Street, which is 3/4 of a mile away. If you're going early enough to beat the traffic, chances are you're also going early enough to beat the crowds and delays on the subway.

But whatever, knowing all of your options is always better.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:57 AM

279 posts, read 521,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
That's assuming the OP actually lives in Woodlawn proper. It sounds like the OP is planning on living near the Woodlawn station on the (4) train (which is still served by the BxM4, but is obviously much closer to the subway).

And I really doubt the OP would want to walk all the way down from 23rd Street to NYU. The absolute closest point of NYU is at 8th Street, which is 3/4 of a mile away. If you're going early enough to beat the traffic, chances are you're also going early enough to beat the crowds and delays on the subway.

But whatever, knowing all of your options is always better.
The op mentioned Woodlawn. I'm not sure what gave anyone the impression of where specifically they planned on living since no other details were given. NYU has most of its locations around 8th street, but they also have locations elsewhere. Therefore it would be wise to advise the op of all of their options and let them decide what works best for them. Nevertheless if the op doesn't live in Woodlawn proper, the Metro North Woodlawn station would be the least convenient. The city bus and the Metro North may require the most transfers depending on their location.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by on the avenue View Post
The op mentioned Woodlawn. I'm not sure what gave anyone the impression of where specifically they planned on living since no other details were given. NYU has most of its locations around 8th street, but they also have locations elsewhere. Therefore it would be wise to advise the op of all of their options and let them decide what works best for them. Nevertheless if the op doesn't live in Woodlawn proper, the Metro North Woodlawn station would be the least convenient. The city bus and the Metro North may require the most transfers depending on their location.
Not in this thread they weren't, but in another thread, they mentioned:

But maybe I'm thinking of WOODLAWN, Hence, I will go first to Grand Central and than take N train all the way to WOODLAWN.

Obviously, the (N) train doesn't go to Woodlawn. So either the OP was referring to the Metro-North from Grand Central (which would bring them to Woodlawn proper) or, they meant that they were going to take the (N) train to connect with the (4) train to reach "Woodlawn", which is really more Bedford Park/Norwood.

NYU has several campuses. Considering the other campuses are scattered around the city (NYU PolyTech in Downtown Brooklyn, the different medical schools over by the East River, some graduate centers on the UES). Considering the OP didn't specify which one, we are all operating under the assumption that he or she is attending the Washington Square campus, which is the main one. Within that Washington Square campus, the closest point to 23rd & 5th is at 8th Street & University Place, and the vast majority of the campus lies south of it. Meaning that the BxM4 really isn't "walking distance" to that particular campus.

If the OP is referring to another NYU campus, then all of our advice goes completely out the window, because that changes the options they have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City