Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 01:12 PM

42 posts, read 56,583 times

Advertisements

Hi;

I'm will be studying in NYU and I'm thinking living in Woodlawn. So I just wonder if the if the commuting between the two is easy.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 01:18 PM

624 posts, read 977,175 times
Its going to be long for sure, probably over an hour 1 way. You have a few options:

1) Take a bus to the 4 and/or D trains in Norwood / Bedford Park. Even though the 4 train ends at "Woodlawn" station its not actually in Woodlawn. Walking down that quiet stretch of Jerome Ave next to the cemetery late at night doesn't seem like the wisest decision to me.
2) Take the metro north to grand central and then transfer to subway ($$$)
3) Walk over to E 233 station and take 2/5 trains

Do you really think its worth living in Woodlawn and having this long commute to school?

Last edited by fmatthew5876; 12-25-2014 at 01:28 PM..

Old 12-25-2014, 01:27 PM

42 posts, read 56,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmatthew5876 View Post
Its going to be long for sure, probably over an hour 1 way. You have a few options:

1) Take a bus to the 4 and/or D trains in Norwood / Bedford Park
2) Take the metro north to grand central and then transfer to subway ($$$)
3) Walk over to E 233 station and take 2/5 trains

Do you really think its worth living in Woodlawn and having this long commute to school?
Thank you... I'm not sure yet ... but the rent on closer areas is expensive or area is not safe.

Old 12-25-2014, 01:39 PM

9,239 posts, read 23,971,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver77 View Post
Thank you... I'm not sure yet ... but the rent on closer areas is expensive or area is not safe.
If you can deal with the longish commute or limit the number of days a week you have to make it,Woodlawn is a great neighborhood for the price. Lots of people in NY spend well over an hour commuting,sometimes close to 2.There are worse commutes from some other parts of The Bronx,and much of Eastern Queens,Brooklyn and Staten Island.

For years I spent 1.5 hours commuting from Brooklyn to my job in The Bx.

Old 12-25-2014, 02:21 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,217,529 times
Quote:
Try southwestern Brooklyn (Sunset Park, Borough Park, Bensonhurst). The D to West 4th St or Broadway-Lafayette or the N to 8th St/NYU is going to be shorter from those areas than the 4 will be from Woodlawn because they're express the whole way--about 30-45 minutes depending how far out along the D/N you are against at least an hour from Woodlawn. And rent should be about the same as Woodlawn.

Both those areas and Woodlawn are not at all student-oriented and very local, but Sunset Park/Borough Park/Bensonhurst will be a far more tolerable commute.

Old 12-25-2014, 04:55 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,090,068 times
Are you talking about Woodlawn proper (meaning, the area north of the cemetary), or the area near the Woodlawn subway station (which is really more Bedford Park/Norwood)? Because living in Woodlawn proper will add the additional hassle of dealing with a bus.

Old 12-25-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Are you talking about Woodlawn proper (meaning, the area north of the cemetary), or the area near the Woodlawn subway station (which is really more Bedford Park/Norwood)? Because living in Woodlawn proper will add the additional hassle of dealing with a bus.
I don't know why people say this all the time.I go to Woodlawn quite frequently…to Katonah Ave,which is the main commercial street. It takes about 10 or 12 minutes to walk there from the 233rd St 2 and 5 stop.And I have done it at 2:00 am. It takes longer to walk from York Ave to Lexington Avenue. Everyone always acts like Woodlawn is totally isolated and way out in the boonies and that you "have to" take a bus to the subway. It just isn't true.

View of the 233 rd st subway stop @White Plains Rd from 233rd St in Woodlawn. The Subway station is the bridge traversing 233
in the background: https://goo.gl/maps/J0AeV . It's less than 1/2 the distance to to the "Woodlawn" 4 stop.

Most people who don't live in Manhattan( and many who do) live a similar distance … 7 or 8 blocks…..from their nearest subway stop and have no problem walking it every day.

Admittedly,if one lives on the far western part of Woodlawn over by Van Cortlandt Park,it's a longer hike but most people who live in Woodlawn live to the East of Katonah on Vireo,Webster,etc.

Last edited by bluedog2; 12-25-2014 at 06:07 PM..

Old 12-25-2014, 05:11 PM

571 posts, read 787,416 times
Quote:
Hi;

I'm will be studying in NYU and I'm thinking living in Woodlawn. So I just wonder if the if the commuting between the two is easy.

Thanks
Woodlawn is nice but it's a monster, "two-swipe" commute.

Old 12-25-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan39126 View Post
Woodlawn is nice but it's a monster, "two-swipe" commute.
Not necessarily true at all.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:03 PM

1,423 posts, read 2,535,358 times
Not a big deal. I used to commute to Brooklyn Tech from Bedford Park!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City