Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 07:40 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
First thing here in NYC there is no longer a such thing as a "poor white community" to make a side by side comparison and based on the city's current record low crime rate statistically neighborhoods like ENY/Brownsville are most likely on the same level or even safer now than when they were Italian/Jewish majority in the Murder Inc heydays. Hence supporting my view that the problems you point out are a POVERTY issue not a BLACK issue. Poor Latino communities??? You wouldn't make that statement if you were around when Latino-majority neighborhoods like the South Bronx, East Harlem, LES, Bushwick, half of ENY were some of the most violent neighborhoods in the city hands down so that's just completely false. With the poor Asian communities you have a entirely different culture when it comes to crime but even with that the murder rate in Chinatown back in 1990 is on par with East New York today (19 vs 18) so it would be unfair to label the criminal element in poor black communities as a BLACK problem just as it would be unfair to label the criminal element in Chinatown as an ASIAN problem.
Were the Chinatown murders of 1990 mostly committed by the local Chinese population? Or spillover from the LES?

Asians are the poorest group in NYC, so Elmhurst, Flushing, etc...should have the highest murder rates in the city. Saying cultural differences has to do with it contradicts your argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 08:38 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Thanks for Siobhandem for putting it out there in black and white. The naysayers can't refute that. I didn't bother responding to their posts refuting my comments because I couldn't be bothered going back and forth with persons who choose to remain in "denial" about situations that anyone who has done even a little research about crime knows.

Someone attempted to say "there is no White poor class left in NYC" (basically true) and then someone else mentioned a poor White class in Staten Island. My thoughts were, so what, those poor Whites still don't have the high crime rates that exists among poor Blacks which was my point. This is not something that I enjoy saying -- I'm African-American -- but denying the truth will not make the problem go away nor help in resolving it.

Blacks in general, the typical Black, the average Black person, Black churches, Black single mothers, Black absentee fathers, the poor Black person has to own up to the fact that far too many violent crimes are committed by Black people and we should be the one to change our problems not a "White father-figure" in the form of police, prison wardens, or White sympathizers patting Blacks on the head saying "yes, the rules should be changed for you and the bar lowered because you're incapable of upholding standards of decent behavior and upstanding character like everyone else can". No, this is wrong. Change must start with Black people and it must begin at home first and then be reinforced within the community.
Perhaps communalism is at fault. Why should it pain you to be critical of criminal Blacks (or criminals of any other group)?

I don't have any special ability (or interest) in turning around the lives of anyone. People have to be responsible for their behavior individually. Do something criminal and the police will take you down personally, not your race. You will be the one to be denied employment, housing, and perhaps even social services (you may have to end up in a shelter or halfway house).

As an individualist I am concerned about my life, my career, and my future, not the lifestyles of the "Blacks" People individually will need to figure out the best course of action.

For those saying Eric Garner was stupid and made poor life decisions to do what he did to get himself in that situation (for example), well, I had no role in his bad decisions, I doubt he would ever listened to me if i told him these things were a bad idea, so why should I feel that I have to change someone like that? For that matter, I don't even interact in predominately Black social circles, or live in a predominately Black neighborhood. I feel no connection and no responsibility. I don't do identity politics. Those who misbehave will be dealt with by the cops, and perhaps some of the cops on this forum will be the ones to check them. LOL

The fact that cities have an excess of this type of scum among Blacks is because of the welfare system and the housing projects. Crime actually went down with welfare reform and certain other institutional changes (more police). People who intend to work don't want to destroy their futures like this. Garner collected welfare and did all cash jobs, so he had no intention of ever working on the books again (he had at some point, but left his legitimate work for criminal work).

Last but not least, NYC is a city with a huge immigrant population. Many of the Blacks here are immigrants from around the world. Many so called Black American New Yorkers are first generation Americans. The problems with poverty and violence among different Black ethnicities are not necessarily the same. Some of these communities may not even know English (Haitians, Dominicans, people from non Anglo African countries, Francophone Africa, French Africa, Spanish Caribbean, Blacks from other parts of Latin America) We don't necessarily have anything to do with each other. The Black community is an invention of whites who see Blacks all as one giant robot or something. There is no one person who has the "solution" for everyone, which is why people will have to hold themselves personally accountable if they want things to improve.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:54 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,126 times

Old 12-28-2014, 08:59 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Or Louima, Above Average Bear.

The NYPD have used plungers in depraved manners. Acting as if NYPD rogues are a new thing, or a media invention, is a blatant lie.

I do not expect 35,000 good employees, but I do expect a union that does not make getting rid of bad cops as difficult as getting a teacher off the payroll, and out of the "rubber room for peophiles".

Old 12-28-2014, 09:24 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,751,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Or Louima, Above Average Bear.

The NYPD have used plungers in depraved manners. Acting as if NYPD rogues are a new thing, or a media invention, is a blatant lie.

I do not expect 35,000 good employees, but I do expect a union that does not make getting rid of bad cops as difficult as getting a teacher off the payroll, and out of the "rubber room for peophiles".
Yea, yea, yea, try expending your energy on the real problems in your community instead of placing the blame elsewhere. The bottom line is that young black males are much more likely to be murdered by other young black males than by cops. By knocking down crime, ex. Taking guns off the street NYPD cops have saved the lives of many young black males.

Last edited by Above Average Bear; 12-28-2014 at 09:33 PM..

Old 12-28-2014, 09:27 PM

In other words, Above Average Bear, you do not care about disciplining bad cops. Just like Nazi Germany, right? Goose-steps all the way.

I can't echo those sentiments, since I know many fine NYC cops who do not deserve to be serving in the same profession as those who disgrace the profession.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
In other words, Above Average Bear, you do not care about disciplining bad cops. Just like Nazi Germany, right? Goose-steps all the way.

I can't echo those sentiments, since I know many fine NYC cops who do not deserve to be serving in the same profession as those who disgrace the profession.
What are the names of the bad cops that you would like disciplined?

Old 12-28-2014, 09:41 PM

Daniel Pantaleo should be disciplined by his employer who banned the use of the hold he used.

The Louima cops belong in jail, for life.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:45 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
It's not just the cops it's the human burning its the hammer murders of drivers it's the polar bear hunters. It's about 7500 young black people murdered each year by u know who
It's boko haram come to america
It's not black women children or old people killing people I it's about black young males killing people

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4sUl32CIAAaDj7.jpg:large

Old 12-28-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Daniel Pantaleo should be disciplined by his employer who banned the use of the hold he used.

The Louima cops belong in jail, for life.
Justin Volpe is doing 30 to life without the possibility of parole and the Feds aren't through with Pantaleo yet. What more do you want?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: