Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 04:27 AM

21 posts, read 90,341 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have experience with searching for and renting apartments while out of state?

I have heard of people having success renting sight unseen. I am curious to know what the experience was like for those of you who have done this. Any tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 07:57 AM

298 posts, read 703,644 times
Don't do this.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:29 PM

15,444 posts, read 15,425,363 times
Search all you like, but NEVER rent while you're out of state.

People will warn you about all the scams, but that's not even it. There are scare stories about scams with non-existent apartments, but those are few and far between. But you have to keep in mind that
-landlords/brokers will give you an unwarrantedly rosy description
-there are different kinds of rentals (stabilized, non-stabilized, coop sublets, etc.) and leases can be complicated and not something to be hurriedly done by mail
-you need to check the apartment for small things, like whether there are enough outlets or what the view is
-you need to look at the block it's on

Old 12-27-2014, 04:57 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,009,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaFey View Post
Does anyone have experience with searching for and renting apartments while out of state?

I have heard of people having success renting sight unseen. I am curious to know what the experience was like for those of you who have done this. Any tips?
I have never done this and would never recommend that anyone else do this.

You can always stay in a hotel, hostel or short term apartment for one week while you look. Do not rent a place sight unseen. Not a good idea.

Maybe this works in other areas of the country where large apartment complexes are more common, the occupancy rates are lower, and you can read apartment complex reviews online. It just doesn't work that way in NY.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:36 PM

Interesting. I was thinking of only renting through established firms vs independent landlords. So that helps with avoiding scams. I suppose I can BNB a week before the job begins.

How long would you say it would take to find an apt in NY? In Chicago it can take at least a month or two. That is why I am worried about having to move to NYC first to find a place

Old 12-27-2014, 09:39 PM

A broker or agent is another option I've seen tossed around....

I may compare the cost of moving early with hiring a broker.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:56 PM

802 posts, read 1,353,115 times
finding an apartment wont take long if your budget is strong enough
however if you want to combine price/location/conditon it will take some time

Old 12-28-2014, 12:04 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,178,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaFey View Post
A broker or agent is another option I've seen tossed around....

I may compare the cost of moving early with hiring a broker.
Just because you use a broker doesn't mean you will get an apt you are expecting. Also you should really know the neighborhood and walk around it to see how you like and feel there. Neighborhoods differ block by block so you could choose an apt in a so called area you like but pick a certain block you may hate and feel uncomfortable on.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:20 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,703,265 times
I did this. I was in NYC for a weekend for job interview + apartment hunting to start the job a week later. I used a broker to show me apartments because I was on a limited time budget. After putting in my application for an apartment, we got denied due to being the second applicant for the apartment. Now back in Michigan, I had to have an apartment so we had a roof over our head when we moved out there. I had the broker check out apartments for us and take pictures and send videos of walk throughs of the apartments. I found our apartment that way. So it was sight unseen in person, but I saw the actual apartment before we moved through video. I told the broker where we would look for an apartment, and what our price range was, and told she came through for the most part and actually earned the broker fee.

Things that I didn't get to know about that I likely wouldn't have because I was new to the moving out to my own place thing was that our super is terrible. Our basement is filthy and we have some gross tenants in the building.

At least I know now what to look for when searching for our next apartment.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:21 AM

Thanks Skinnayy. That was extremely helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City