Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2015, 06:20 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Can you expound upon the bolded, cap?
the area where eric garner was killed is a good one to see cops breaking traffic laws because its swimming with cops. im pretty sure im not the only one that regularly sees cops in nyc going through red lights, speeding, illegally parking, talking on cell phones while driving, illegal U-turns, etc. sure, they are relatively minor but shouldn't they be following the laws that they are giving fines to thousands of us regular folk every day for breaking them? if they are willing to go right through a red light in front of us, what are they willing to do when we aren't right there? I know, shoot a guy in the chest who was just walking down his stairs. will that cop face any penalty whatsoever for killing a 100% innocent guy? (oh and I believe rather than calling for help for the dying man, the cop contacted his union rep)

im not sure why there is a debate here. the cops are protesting because the mayor felt the guy should go to trial. look at the rate at which people are indicted that aren't cops:

"Former New York state Chief Judge Sol Wachtler famously remarked that a prosecutor could persuade a grand jury to “indict a ham sandwich.” The data suggests he was barely exaggerating: According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, U.S. attorneys prosecuted 162,000 federal cases in 2010, the most recent year for which we have data. Grand juries declined to return an indictment in 11 of them."

just about everyone gets indicted. here in staten island, a guy dies, its labeled a homicide and the police are pissed the mayor thinks there should be an indictment????? maybe some of you guys aren't aware of the extremely high rate at which indictments are returned or are confusing an indictment with a trial. the cops are throwing their criminal nature in our faces by going after the mayor.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 01-01-2015 at 06:32 AM..

Old 01-01-2015, 08:08 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,366,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
So NYPD has apparently all but stopped working. "News" sources (I use this term loosely nowadays) - blogs and such with a more anti-police bent (or anti-certain police practices) say that "crime is down" citing a lower amount of arrests or citations. Obviously, this does not mean crime is down, simply that fewer people are getting arrested. What's going on up there? It does seem like we'd hear if criminals are roaming the streets with impunity, because that would ostensibly strengthen NYPD's position in their beef with the mayor. Also, the cardinal rule of journalism - if it bleeds, it leads.

Or, as these sources seem to portray, are we seeing a successful minarchist experiment unfolding?

Crime is down 94%

Say it with me... NINETY FOUR PERCENT.

OK so arrests and citations plummeted, and the world didn't end. Could that mean that most of those arrests/citations were unnecessary for society to function?

... So much for that broken Windows thing.

1000's of folks were saved from being senselessly dragged thru the court system, having their finances depleted and/or being brutally assaulted or killed for the sake of fulfilling a quota.

Just think. . . if the feud started earlier, Eric Garner probably wouldn't have died for allegedly selling untaxed cigarettes

Old 01-01-2015, 08:14 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
Crime is down 94%

Say it with me... NINETY FOUR PERCENT.
That sounds wonderful, and I hope it's actually working out this way, but what proves this aside from an obviously lower rate of arrests?

Old 01-01-2015, 08:15 AM

Citations

Old 01-01-2015, 08:16 AM

222 posts, read 185,600 times
But I was telling this to another poster. Do you know exactly WHY the cops are running the lights or makin illegal u turns etc? Do you 100% know the reason why? Do you know for a fact that they are not responding to a call however major or minor? What If they're responding to come help you in an emergency? You'd want them there As fast as possible no? Or would you want them to stop at every red light and obey every speed limit?? I'm not wen saying that all of them are doing the right thing. I'm just saying I DONT KNOW. And neither do you.

Now. I'll give the cell phone issue. There's no reason for them o be on a cell phone while driving if they have car radios and a partner - the partner can be on the phone.y question to you in that regard is - who's going to issue the ticket/warning/summons? Want the police to do it? Or would you like to be the one to police the police?

Old 01-01-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Citations
If there are fewer cops working and handing out citations, it doesn't mean fewer (legitimate) offenses warranting citations aren't happening. It just means fewer tickets are being written, which we already know.

Someone smoking a joint on their porch? Big whoop. Someone driving recklessly in a city full of both pedestrian and auto traffic? A legit problem.

Like I say, I hope this turns out well. It will make the people who make decisions take a long, hard look at how we handle law enforcement in this country. I'm not anti-police, just anti-police state. If it weren't for silly, failed social experiments like the drug war that corrupted the law enforcement profession, I might have become a cop myself. But I'd never sleep with a clear head being a part of that.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
If there are fewer cops working and handing out citations, it doesn't mean fewer (legitimate) offenses warranting citations aren't happening. It just means fewer tickets are being written, which we already know.

Someone smoking a joint on their porch? Big whoop. Someone driving recklessly in a city full of both pedestrian and auto traffic? A legit problem.

Like I say, I hope this turns out well. It will make the people who make decisions take a long, hard look at how we handle law enforcement in this country. I'm not anti-police, just anti-police state. If it weren't for silly, failed social experiments like the drug war that corrupted the law enforcement profession, I might have become a cop myself. But I'd never sleep with a clear head being a part of that.
If crime is down a staggering percentage because they're less cops out there writing tickets, what does that really say about the NYPD?

Old 01-01-2015, 08:47 AM

5,859 posts, read 3,295,032 times
Quote:
If crime is down a staggering percentage because they're less cops out there writing tickets, what does that really say about the NYPD?
Its says you dont need cops. Get rid of them please. I would love to see what would happen if the cops werent there. All the cop haters here would be screaming bloody murder. Cops suck until you need them! For every person that didnt like that I gave them a ticket or arrested them for some other violation there were 10 others I let go. No matter what if you are a cop today you can never do any right!

Old 01-01-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
You're kind of taking the "if a tree falls in the forest and nobody's there to hear it, it doesn't make a sound" argument here.

Let's take this a bit extreme, if mainly to illustrate a point. Let's say - not that I would - that I shoot someone in the street there in the Bronx. No law enforcement responds. I walk off and literally get away with it. Did a crime occur? Or is it only a crime after the cops respond, they haul me off and take me to Rikers?

Same goes with every other offense, much more minor in most cases, but the same general principle applies.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:32 AM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the area where eric garner was killed is a good one to see cops breaking traffic laws because its swimming with cops. im pretty sure im not the only one that regularly sees cops in nyc going through red lights, speeding, illegally parking, talking on cell phones while driving, illegal U-turns, etc. sure, they are relatively minor but shouldn't they be following the laws that they are giving fines to thousands of us regular folk every day for breaking them? if they are willing to go right through a red light in front of us, what are they willing to do when we aren't right there? I know, shoot a guy in the chest who was just walking down his stairs. will that cop face any penalty whatsoever for killing a 100% innocent guy? (oh and I believe rather than calling for help for the dying man, the cop contacted his union rep)

im not sure why there is a debate here. the cops are protesting because the mayor felt the guy should go to trial. look at the rate at which people are indicted that aren't cops:

"Former New York state Chief Judge Sol Wachtler famously remarked that a prosecutor could persuade a grand jury to “indict a ham sandwich.” The data suggests he was barely exaggerating: According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, U.S. attorneys prosecuted 162,000 federal cases in 2010, the most recent year for which we have data. Grand juries declined to return an indictment in 11 of them."

just about everyone gets indicted. here in staten island, a guy dies, its labeled a homicide and the police are pissed the mayor thinks there should be an indictment????? maybe some of you guys aren't aware of the extremely high rate at which indictments are returned or are confusing an indictment with a trial. the cops are throwing their criminal nature in our faces by going after the mayor.
Cops making u turns, speeding etc is part of the job. Do you know why they are doing this? Could it be that they are responding to a job? Say you were being robbed would you want the cops to go the speed limit to help you? And going from traffic violations to murder is quite a stretch, wouldn't you say?

Also cops protesting is due to the fact that the mayor does not support them and this is amplified by Rachel Maddow and fed to sheep who can't think for themselves and psychos who need a nudge to kill a cop or two.

Last edited by Above Average Bear; 01-01-2015 at 11:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City