Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2015, 10:43 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,614,742 times

Advertisements

Re: 'I'm not anti-police, just anti-police state'

And that's probably where the crux of the matter really resides in the final analysis.

What police deal with every day is how far do you have to go with coercion in defending the law? It by no means is an easy decision yet they have to be sharp in their execution of duties since consequences ensue.

A study by the National Institue of Justice showed that nine out of ten police officers agreed that it is wrong to respond to verbal abuse with force. But also 15% agreed that officers 'sometimes or often did so'. Is this perhaps their 'criminal nature' coming out? I don't think so. It's individuals in a very difficult job that makes almost every stop practically unique. I think at bottom we have to say they are the city's psychologists when it comes to human interaction on the streets.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:47 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Cops making u turns, speeding etc is part of the job. Do you know why they are doing this? Could it be that they are responding to a job? .
personally, I have respect for PO and a fan of the organization.....I do think 95% of those traffic infractions are just abusing their powers....and they do it blatantly. I have one friend who is a PO who has a police parking placard & parks his personal car all over manhattan. Then another person I know who uses his siren when he feels like it in a non official capacity. It happens very frequently

Old 01-01-2015, 10:56 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
De Blasio reappoints judge who freed men who threatened cops | New York Post

Old 01-01-2015, 11:00 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Re: 'I'm not anti-police, just anti-police state'

And that's probably where the crux of the matter really resides in the final analysis.

What police deal with every day is how far do you have to go with coercion in defending the law? It by no means is an easy decision yet they have to be sharp in their execution of duties since consequences ensue.

A study by the National Institue of Justice showed that nine out of ten police officers agreed that it is wrong to respond to verbal abuse with force. But also 15% agreed that officers 'sometimes or often did so'. Is this perhaps their 'criminal nature' coming out? I don't think so. It's individuals in a very difficult job that makes almost every stop practically unique. I think at bottom we have to say they are the city's psychologists when it comes to human interaction on the streets.
We all screw up, both in our personal and professional lives. When we do, we're held accountable. When we break a law, we're held accountable. If the people holding us accountable are never held accountable when they screw up themselves, it's pretty natural there's going to be resentment.

I maintain that the drug war has served to erode the trust between law enforcement and the community, especially after civil asset forfeiture statutes and the prison-industrial complex provided an economic incentive to conduct raids. From that point it stopped being about protecting the community. If they actually succeeded at "getting drugs off the streets" then their whole operation grinds to a halt. Much corruption.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:09 AM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
personally, I have respect for PO and a fan of the organization.....I do think 95% of those traffic infractions are just abusing their powers....and they do it blatantly. I have one friend who is a PO who has a police parking placard & parks his personal car all over manhattan. Then another person I know who uses his siren when he feels like it in a non official capacity. It happens very frequently
A lot of people have jobs with perks, why would you deny cops the same?

Old 01-01-2015, 11:20 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,545,840 times
This is turning out to be bad PR for the NYPD. I have noticed alot of ppl talking about their attitude and disrespect for the uniform. The public has begun to notice the perks, union benefits, ticketing preferences, etc that cops enjoy while they continually demand more and more from a population fed up with their behavior and ill treatment.

What happened to the two PO's is truly sad but it comes with the job and the territory. The perp was on a mission and DeBlasio had nothing to do with it, no matter what we wish to believe. I wouldn't pay too much attention to paid media, because they are just that.....PAID MEDIA.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:21 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,545,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
A lot of people have jobs with perks, why would you deny cops the same?

Alot of those jobs with perks are in the private sector. Not in the Public sector, on the taxpayer's dime.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:23 AM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Lol I'm seeing the exact opposite. Two ladies in Stop and Shop just now said the cops don't shoot enough people in NYC! These were the cashiers talking to the lady in front of me. I like where I live.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:31 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
A large percentage of arrests were for things like selling marijuana. Well, for now that is over (so long as there is the work order slowdown). Honestly they should just use this to make marijuana legal like certain other states have done.

Bloomberg's law against loosies should be repealed.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:48 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Honestly they should just use this to make marijuana legal like certain other states have done.
The world certainly hasn't ended where it has been done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City