Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2014, 07:43 AM

6 posts, read 5,783 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm from Turkey and i have just finished mechanical engineering last month. In Turkey, like in the world companies want minimum 2 language from engineers so first of all i need to make my english better than now , because of those things i decided to come to usa with an english school. I got some offers from advisors and all of them want me to go to Boston. They said that "all of students are living in Boston and you can be social in Boston" but i checked from google earth how far away from boston to nyc and it is really long way for me. It says 4 hours by bus. And i really wonder NYC but i have some questions, if i come to nyc can i be social with other student ? i mean hanging out with friends or can i find some friends i don t have any idea about this. and how is living in nyc ? is it more expensive than Boston ? i will come for just months beacuse i don t have so much money for more months. If you help me about chosing boston or nyc, i will be glad to hear that. Thank you

By the way sorry for my english. i hope you all understand me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 07:50 AM

9,238 posts, read 23,970,047 times
Your advisors probably gave you good advice.Boston is a much younger city and far more student centric. It will probably be much easier to make acquaintances and much less overwhelming.

Boston is a little less expensive than NY.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:05 AM

Can not i find social places for students ? and how is sociality life in nyc for students? it s really hard choice for me because i have no idea about ny and if i choice boston i will live there for 6 months, i can not change my language school, that makes me nervous to choice

Old 12-28-2014, 09:14 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,013,773 times
Is there any way you can speak to Turkish people who have gone to English programs in Boston and NY and get their perspective?

I have lived in both Boston and NY and agree with the general sentiment that Bluedog expressed, but I can also see that NYC could be a very exciting place to study English.

Have you looked on Facebook? Type something like "NY Language school" into the search box and at least you could get a sense of some activities the schools do by looking at the photos. Also maybe there is some way to connect with people on FB who are going to these schools so you can ask them questions.

I would imagine one problem with all language schools is that you end up in school with all other non-English-speaking people. I hope part of the program is to pair you with a native speaker so you can learn how English is really spoken.

Do the schools in both cities provide the same things in terms of locating or providing housing? Housing in NY can be very difficult to attain.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:06 PM

what did you mean about "exciting place to study" ? i sent message to 10 people, but they did not answer me back and i saw this forum then i wrote here. advisors are gonna find house for me ( for a month, after a month i will search some place to stay for me, maybe roomate or dorm)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: