Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 03:01 PM

2 posts, read 3,113 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm looking for some advise or or information on what rights I may have in my current rent stabilized apartment. I have been subletting a rent stabilized apartment on the upper west side for a year an a half. The current lease is up the end of the month and the person I was subletting from has passed away. My cable bill, mailing address and drivers license all show my current address. The landlord wants to take back the apartment and has threatened eviction if I do not vacate by the end of the month. The current lease is not in my name although it has been my home and I would like to stay if at all possible at or near the rent stabilized allowable increase.

Obviously, the land lord wants me out so they can renovate and raise the rent. What rights to I have, if any, to stay in the apartment or alternatively, what can I do to hang onto it by way of squatting or fighting eviction in court?

Many thanks,
Xo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 03:19 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xo527 View Post
Hi,

I'm looking for some advise or or information on what rights I may have in my current rent stabilized apartment. I have been subletting a rent stabilized apartment on the upper west side for a year an a half. The current lease is up the end of the month and the person I was subletting from has passed away. My cable bill, mailing address and drivers license all show my current address. The landlord wants to take back the apartment and has threatened eviction if I do not vacate by the end of the month. The current lease is not in my name although it has been my home and I would like to stay if at all possible at or near the rent stabilized allowable increase.

Obviously, the land lord wants me out so they can renovate and raise the rent. What rights to I have, if any, to stay in the apartment or alternatively, what can I do to hang onto it by way of squatting or fighting eviction in court?

Many thanks,
Xo
You don't have any rights and the landlord will eventually get an eviction if that's what he wants. If you get a lawyer you might be able to drag it out for 6 months but you will lose in the end.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:25 PM

555 posts, read 616,736 times
wow... and people say landlords are the bad guys?

You sublease an apt for 18 months so the owner should never get it back now?

Old 01-05-2015, 05:39 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
You don't have any rights and the landlord will eventually get an eviction if that's what he wants. If you get a lawyer you might be able to drag it out for 6 months but you will lose in the end.
that's exactly right. An eviction as well as the court case will also stay on your credit report. Good luck finding another landlord to rent to you. I would try to negotiate another 30 days in addition to the 30 days notice landlord already gave you. Beyond that, you're out of luck.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:45 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,239 times
You want to squat and fight the eviction? You should consider yourself lucky you were able to stay there that long. You have no rights under the terms of a rent stabilized lease that entitle you to "take it over". Lease says something like immediate family members. Read it! Don't you people ever read contracts and leases that you sign or that others "claim" allow you to be there? It involves your life and credit report. Don't take their word; read it yourself. Speak to an attorney he'll tell you the same. Try to get addition 30 days on top of initial 30 day notice to vacate, which is the default notice for landlord tenant law in NYC. It doesn't sound like you had a good relationship with the landlord at all. Maybe if you did, who knows... but when you say scheit like "squatting...fighting a lawful eviction" because you don't feel like moving out of Manhattan, you lost points with me.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 01-07-2015 at 07:26 AM.. Reason: Personal attack removed

Old 01-05-2015, 06:15 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
You have a right to stay there until the day the eviction becomes final and the marshalls come and drag you and your stuff out of there. After that, good luck finding any other apartment to rent in NYC with an eviction on your record.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:25 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Not necessarily true, although I do not know any very recent cases and/or their outcomes. Proving you live there is the biggest thing.

You definitely need a lawyer.

Your rent will increase 25%.

Here is something about the squatters' rights in New York:
http://www.ehow.com/info_10031062_ne...ting-laws.html

Again, no idea what the recent litigation history might be. You should research this yourself. There have been cases in Harlem that got press, not so long ago ...

Old 01-05-2015, 07:26 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,231,117 times
You have no right to remain. Your landlord was already likely in breach of rent stabilization laws by subleasing to you (as a rent stabilized apartment must be the tenant's primary residence). You certainly do not have any inheritance rights unless you are related to your deceased landlord. As others have said, you can drag it out in court, but you will eventually lose and be evicted.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:59 PM

913 posts, read 2,272,326 times
Something about the OP doesn't sound right. Why were you illegally subletting an apartment meant for you to live in?

Old 01-06-2015, 12:34 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xo527 View Post
Hi,

Many thanks,
Xo
How have you been paying the rent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: