U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 01:31 PM

6 posts, read 43,058 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,
My husband and I are moving to NYC next month. He will be working at wall street area and at that time we are willing to spend up to 2300 in rental. After I get a job we can change that plan and spend a little more with rental, in case we need it. As we don't know much about NYC, I'd like to get some suggestions about good places to live in Manhattan. Here are some important features we are considering to live well in the city:
- Safe neighborhood, where we can walk around any time.
- Close to subway/supermarket/restaurant/bar/shop/theater
- Studio/Alcove Studio apartment. We are aware that studios in Manhattan are so tiny, but we are more interested in having
a good quality of living (good and confortable apartment/building) and safety.
Amenities (at least): Doorman(24x7), Elevator, New partment/building, laundry
- Utilities included
Do you guys know any place in the city with these features?

Another point is related to taxes when someone rents an apartment. Besides broker fee (if it exists), water/electricity, is there any
other taxes we should consider (e.g state/city tax)?

Thanks in advance.
Psiquê
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 01:48 PM

68 posts, read 438,811 times
In Manhattan, with your requirements, it will be extremely difficult.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:54 PM

Thanks for your comment. In your opinion what requirements should we cut?

Thanks,
Psiquê

Old 01-06-2008, 02:02 PM

7,079 posts, read 36,764,295 times
You'll most likely find a studio for the price you quoted, especially a new one, but it won't be luxurious, or likely with a doorman. Utilities are almost NEVER included in the rent. So plan on electricity (more in the summer with A/C), phone, cable TV. Heat is included, as is water, in just about all apartments. Laundry facilities are usually in the basement of the buildings.

Where did you want to live? How long a commute is tolerable?

When you say 'theater' do you mean legitimate theater or the movies? Because I don't think the theater district is somewhere most people would like living. Remember, where the restaurants are, there are fewer residential amenities and vice versa, in general (but not always).

Have you been to NY? If not, you really need to come and visit and see where you want to live, as all the neighborhoods around town are different and each has a feel of its own.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:11 PM

2,954 posts, read 11,793,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc200 View Post
In Manhattan, with your requirements, it will be extremely difficult.
I would have to disagree. Manhattan is very expensive, but if you're willing to spend 2300 on a studio it can be done. A friend of mine lives on East 46th between 1st and 2nd in a studio in a doorman building with an elevator and pays just under 2000 a month, another friend lived in a similar place on West 77th just off Columbus Avenue for even less. Both places were nice, clean, and not as small as some studios.

Water is often included, gas and electric are usually not. Internet, phone and cable are not. Gas and electric are not generally included but are usually not very much in a studio. Unfortunately, it can be hard to avoid a broker fee, which will be almost two months rent in many cases. There is no habitation tax or anything like that connected to the apartment. New York state and city income tax are higher than elsewhere in the country.

As for neighborhood, it depends on what you want. There are many areas in Manhattan with a lot of bars and restaurants, subways, etc. where I think you'd find a nice studio for that price. Upper West Side, Upper East Side, Gramercy, East Village.

Just don't let the brokers tell you there are only more expensive apartments available, they do that a lot.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:13 PM

7,079 posts, read 36,764,295 times
I believe the OP said they wanted a NEW building....That rent in a new building? With a 24h doorman? I'm not so sure that's do-able.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:26 PM

I had not focused on the new building issue. For a new building it will be hard. They asked which of their requirements would have to go, and that will have to go. I don't know where they're coming from but not being in a new building is not the end of the world. I've been in plenty of buildings that are 40 or even 100 years old that are clean, modern, and have working elevators with no issues. Though they may not be in new buildings, there are plenty of studios listed with doorman and elevator around $2000. Construction's often better in the older stuff anyway.

It's not like the posters who ask where to find a 3BR house with garage in Manhattan for $900/month!

Old 01-06-2008, 02:27 PM

First I'd like to thank you for your comments.

We've heard about living in midtown east/upper west-east side/battery park city/chelsea/union square/grammercy, but we are not sure if such places match our requirements. Do you have any suggestions?

We are planning at most 1 hour door to door and we prefer using subway to commute.

We lived for 3 months in Nanuet - Rockland and we did go to the city sometimes as a tourist, but we don't have idea about living there. Things like what are the safe places to a couple live and have fun.

When I said theather I meant "the movies". And about restaurants and others, the important thing is to have transport facilities to get there like subway.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:38 PM

Guys, when I mentioned NEW I meant clean and modern. Sorry for inducing a misunderstanding .

Many thanks,

Old 01-06-2008, 02:53 PM

Upper West Side, Upper East Side, Gramercy, East Village all have movies, bars, restaurants, etc. Midtown East less so, but it's not totally barren.

Where are you commuting to? That will make a difference. Either midtown or downtown could be reached well under an hour from all of these places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: