Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 07:19 PM

262 posts, read 1,230,031 times

Advertisements

I live on LI and I've seen mice and rats (not in my house ). They are everywhere...cities and suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2006, 06:40 AM

87 posts, read 454,156 times
How do you know if you live where there is a good mangement company in the building?

Old 11-08-2006, 08:15 AM

602 posts, read 1,258,467 times
I live in Staten Island and I have never seen a rat or mouse there. I am in Manhattan daily, and in the last five months I have seen a rat down in the subway tracks twice, both times at the same R station and that is it. Never seen one on the street or even on the subway platforms.

Old 11-08-2006, 08:13 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,782,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daaver View Post
I live in Staten Island and I have never seen a rat or mouse there. I am in Manhattan daily, and in the last five months I have seen a rat down in the subway tracks twice, both times at the same R station and that is it. Never seen one on the street or even on the subway platforms.
Oddly I look into the tracks and I can always find rats...

I even had the opportunity to see a rat run past my feet inside the train station of an elevated platform the other day.

Rats and mice can be a problem if you live in old housing or near subway lines/vacant lots and buildings. Can't forget new construction, when construction is started, mice and rats will flee that lot into nearby housing. Again roaches seem to be the bigger problem.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:50 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,634,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNY View Post
Contemplating a move, and have been getting warned by some of the rat problem in the city. Is that any advice as where to live to avoid it, etc.
You'll find more of a cockroach problem than anything. Best thing to do in any new apartment is caulk all the baseboards, closets, and under the sink before moving in your things

Old 09-04-2013, 09:23 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,576,962 times
after living rodent free for 7 years i had a mouse issue in my kitchen in 1998 up to 2001. i remember telling neighbors about it and they all acted as if it's a regular and routine thing. so the point is if it's just baby mice (like i had) and not rats it's probably seen as the norm in NY City

Old 09-04-2013, 01:14 PM

483 posts, read 867,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNY View Post
Contemplating a move, and have been getting warned by some of the rat problem in the city. Is that any advice as where to live to avoid it, etc.
OP: Feel free to come & live in New York City if desired. Just know biggest rats are brokers and landlords.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:09 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,576,962 times
co workers too, no...???!!!

Old 11-15-2014, 11:51 AM

30,512 posts, read 17,977,814 times
I don't mind if I see rats/mice on the sidewalk occasionally. I would, however, seriously mind if they were in my house. One piece of advice that I have for people with mice/rat problems: get a cat(s), and preferably one that's not afraid to go after them! Otherwise, as others have mentioned, living in a well-maintained building/house will go a long way. Note, rat problems aren't limited to poor areas. Walking around the UES late at night I see hoards of rats (its rather quite disgusting). Also, given the connected nature of most homes in NYC, these creatures likely pass between your home (if they don't live there) regardless of whether you see them or not.

Old 11-15-2014, 01:21 PM

27 posts, read 116,974 times
Default Chinatown area of Manhattan is loaded with rats

I live on the lower east side and the area has more mice and rats than ever before, especially Chinatown. If you walk through Chinatown late at night you can see a dozen or more rats running wild through the streets. One night I was walking near Chatham Square and the rats were all over the statue.

In the 35 years that I have lived in my apartment building I never had a mouse problem, but most of those years I had a cat. We've always had mice in the basement of the building, but management was always taking care of the problem. Things changed last October when I ended up having mice in my apartment. They come up through the radiators, etc. The problem lasted a couple of months, but I was able to get rid of them.

Now that the heat is on again I think I saw a mouse again. I'm tearing my apartment apart to see if there are any mice. I think one came out of the radiator again. Now that I have a dog, it makes the problem harder because I can't put mouse poison around. The poison didn't work the last time I had the mice, but management comes and puts poison and traps.

Another reason I think there are more mice around is that the basement was flooded during Hurricane Sandy and they ended going up into the apartments instead of staying in the basement where they were.

The best solution for a mouse problem is a cat, but I can't get one now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City