Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 04:22 AM

147 posts, read 161,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroFresh View Post
hahaha taxi stands. those are hilarious, I just walk a little before the stand and get in a cab imed. i love how there are such long lines of clueless people standing there forever with no idea they can just walk away from it.
The funny thing is it's actually technically illegal for the cab driver to pick you up. There's so many stupid laws in the taxi industry.

I think it was that we weren't allowed to do any pickups within like 2-3 blocks of like MSG or some sort of rule like that so it would force everyone to wait on line at the taxi stand at MSG.

There's other ridiculous rules such as if a customer and I actually make eye contact it is against the rules for me to pick up another customer. Obviously none of these rules are enforced but that's how stupid the rules can be sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Started with my pops checker cab in 76. I also shaped up in the 50s on the west side after he sold his medallian. I wish that I had the presence of mind to purchase it when he sold. I believe that they are going north of 1M today.
They were.. but that was a heavily inflated price tag..

As of now they're selling for about $700,000.. the medallion price is taking a hit because of this whole Uber drama.. it's not even like a taxi drivers income has changed.. just people are in this whole Uber hype.. the medallion will rise again though.. the city isn't stupid enough to kill their cash cow for some douches who made an app rich.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny123 View Post
Interesting, Above Average Bear and Bluedog2. Perhaps you had fought to take the same passengers in the 70's, hehe.

Re taxi driver preferences, how do they like several friends sharing the cab and getting off at different places? I guess it's no difference from taking 1 passenger all the way, except wasting more gas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Passengers sharing a ride never bothered me. It happened on more than a few occasions.
Cab drivers actually do not prefer this method because cab drivers make most of their money from the initial rate.

For example.

Let's say I picked you both up on 10th street and dropped you off on 20th... the initial rate is $2.50 and $1.30(off peak hours $1.80 during peak hours of 4 pm to 8 pm) now after this new wheelchair surcharge.. if you ever watch the meter it'll roughly go up about 50 cents every 5 blocks so it's about a dime a block rougly.. so those 10 blocks without stopping would come out to about $1.00. That trip would be $4.80 if you do one trip.. BUT let's say I dropped one of you off after 5 blocks and restarted the meter and dropped the second person after another 5 blocks... that would be $4.30 a piece... $8.60 total... that's still excluding tip from each trip. That's why cab drivers usually don't like long trips or multiple stops.

Old 01-08-2015, 03:47 PM

101 posts, read 300,712 times
Thank you for the explanation, bluedog. I figured it was to get back in line quickly. Didn't know the term 'shorty ticket' . What is this 'imed' thing EuroFresh is talking about?

Old 01-08-2015, 04:10 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
Quote:
hahaha taxi stands. those are hilarious, I just walk a little before the stand and get in a cab imed. i love how there are such long lines of clueless people standing there forever with no idea they can just walk away from it.
This thread is specifically about the taxi stands at the airports, where it is not possible to bypass them.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:07 PM

518 posts, read 825,425 times
Quote:
This can work at Penn Station or Port Authority, but don't try it at the airports EuroTrash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City