Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 11:39 AM

36 posts, read 57,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanson View Post
/\ Why stop there? Go one step further- don't rent to anyone except Lenape Indians. They are the true "natives"...

Or maybe only rent to Wooly Mammoths from the glacier period if you want to be really hardcore about it. They were here way before humans came to town and started making walking paths to the rivers, cutting down forests and selling out the Dutch. Kind of hard to fit a mammoth in an apartment though...
solid argument here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 12:40 PM

5,121 posts, read 4,967,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoryBlizzard View Post
It doesn't matter if you're young or old--no one outside the state of NY should be moving to NYC. We need to all pay far less money in rent and taxes (except for the highest echelon of earners) and transplants exacerbate that problem.

The worst part is that people who just move in don't realize what they're doing when they try to come up with "improvements" to the neighborhoods they try to inhabit. I understand that many of them mean well and don't want to alienate anyone; that doesn't matter. They do anyway. Just by being here, by demanding more safety, by complaining about trivial quality of life issues, by holding jobs especially in the financial industry that hurt working-class individuals, and by creating overpriced hipster-friendly fro yo and vegan businesses. That's just to name a few.

And then they complain about how expensive it is to live here, even though they've never lived here before. The nerve of them. They're the problem--the main problem. The gentrification cycle will continue until they finally start running away.

So, I want to reiterate, transplants are not welcome here. Under any circumstances. I can and have turned down housing for every single transplant that has applied to me and I can rest easy knowing that I am doing my part to keep them out of my native city.
PPL like these are rare finds nowadays, and I enjoyed reading each single letter you printed here...

Old 01-14-2015, 01:37 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,311 times
Your 24 and call yourself an professional but looking for an apartment that is less then $1800. You are going to be so sad because. If you want to live anywhere nice you need to have an room-mate. Otherwise your just going to be working from paycheck to paycheck. However if your really a pro ( in your field ) then you should have no problem at all with that.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:41 PM

36 posts, read 57,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
Your 24 and call yourself an professional but looking for an apartment that is less then $1800. You are going to be so sad because. If you want to live anywhere nice you need to have an room-mate. Otherwise your just going to be working from paycheck to paycheck. However if your really a pro ( in your field ) then you should have no problem at all with that.
I disagree with all the points you just made

Old 01-14-2015, 06:34 PM

539 posts, read 523,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
First off, read the OP's post: He says he's fine with an room-mate

Also, there are plenty of 24 year old professionals. I know a lot of lawyers and CPA's at that age.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:52 PM

31 posts, read 55,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post
GoryB, maybe you're the entitled one.

If you want an eye-opener, travel upstate to places like Buffalo, Lockport, Rochester, Utica or Niagara Falls NY. You'll find able-bodied young working people, native to those locations, who can't afford their hometowns anymore, either. Housing there is dirt cheap, but no jobs. All thanks to the recession of 2008 and, before that, the collapse of manufacturing (steel mill based) in these cities that used to thrive.

When those young people "have to move" simply to find any working-guy job, they go to distant Southern or Western states, much further away than a subway to allow them to go visit their sibs, friends or aging parents. Since they are all working-class people, the salaries on both sides are too low to afford flights, except maybe once yearly at Christmas. Families are breaking apart over the geographic distances.

That's heartache, too.

Having to move to another NYC neighborhood?? I'm not sure how that compares to having to move hundreds and thousands of miles to find blue-collar work. At least NYC has new jobs listed every week, although I realize nothing is easily won. I am listening to what you write, however, as it's a point-of-view that needs to be heard as well. It's very frustrating to be forced to move where you don't want to be, whether it's across neighborhoods in one city, or across a huge country.

The only solution I've ever known is more education, academic or technical, to upgrade to a better job. If NYC holds out opportunities, to aim for that vibrant economy, rather than spend one's life resenting others, aka, "transplants." ::ducking for cover now::

What I really didn't understand from your post is: how is asking for crime protection detrimental to the longer-term residents of a neighborhood?
People are willing to invest more in safety and those of us that have been around for a while--many of us--are economically stagnating or getting poorer, not getting richer. The money all comes from the new people, who are better staying as far away from here as possible. Higher crime = less desirability = more peace of mind for us older people.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:55 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoryBlizzard View Post
People are willing to invest more in safety and those of us that have been around for a while--many of us--are economically stagnating or getting poorer, not getting richer. The money all comes from the new people, who are better staying as far away from here as possible. Higher crime = less desirability = more peace of mind for us older people.
Wanting higher crime so that rents MIGHT go down?

That's terrible. Plus what happens when you get the sh1t beat out of you for your belongings?

Old 08-20-2018, 09:49 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,684,093 times
So... Gory, I'm a native NYer (got the horrendously thick but oh so charming Queens accent to prove it!) and I would loooooove a cheap apartment. Can you hook me up? Rofl.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:52 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
So... Gory, I'm a native NYer (got the horrendously thick but oh so charming Queens accent to prove it!) and I would loooooove a cheap apartment. Can you hook me up? Rofl.
Make a vocaroo for me. I want to hear this so called thick Queens accent!

Old 08-20-2018, 10:26 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,684,093 times
Sure thing! It's 12:26 am now though and I'll post it here tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City