Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2015, 10:20 AM

78 posts, read 104,211 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I have been talking about what we really want when we move in together, and we wanted to live somewhere quiet, in a house, but still in NYC, which is a tall order. As we've gotten older we don't go out anymore, we have been craving space, and peace and we know we want an old house with character. We were expecting to really have to compromise all of that to stay here in the city, but staying here isn't a question, we won't move away.
Yesterday he saw a random article about how City Island won best neighborhood in NYC (voted for mostly my residents so I know that it's very biased). It's a long way from our friends but to be totally honest we pretty much never go out or spend time with other people. We both prefer alone time. It would mean a long commute for us both (me to Penn station area, him to Carroll Gardens), but that is something we already discussed and something we were expecting when we moved somewhere quieter. He would be driving, and more than likely dropping me off in the Bronx at the train rather than me taking the bus off the island.
It would mean life would be totally different. We won't have the same conveniences we have now, and we will be pretty far from everyone we know. But like I said, we're real hermits.
The place we found is much cheaper than we'd find elsewhere and SO unique and pretty much the cutest place ever. It has a ton of space, and 2 decks, is RIGHT on the water, it's secluded, has off road parking.

So the question is, are we totally insane to consider this? We're going to go see it, and we're going to see what the commute is like. We're going to check out the island. We'd have to change habits like getting groceries delivered etc. But we're both excited because this place is amazing and it's sort of a one time opportunity.

Does anyone have any insight?

Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 10:37 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shesbenevolent View Post
My boyfriend and I have been talking about what we really want when we move in together, and we wanted to live somewhere quiet, in a house, but still in NYC, which is a tall order. As we've gotten older we don't go out anymore, we have been craving space, and peace and we know we want an old house with character. We were expecting to really have to compromise all of that to stay here in the city, but staying here isn't a question, we won't move away.
Yesterday he saw a random article about how City Island won best neighborhood in NYC (voted for mostly my residents so I know that it's very biased). It's a long way from our friends but to be totally honest we pretty much never go out or spend time with other people. We both prefer alone time. It would mean a long commute for us both (me to Penn station area, him to Carroll Gardens), but that is something we already discussed and something we were expecting when we moved somewhere quieter. He would be driving, and more than likely dropping me off in the Bronx at the train rather than me taking the bus off the island.
It would mean life would be totally different. We won't have the same conveniences we have now, and we will be pretty far from everyone we know. But like I said, we're real hermits.
The place we found is much cheaper than we'd find elsewhere and SO unique and pretty much the cutest place ever. It has a ton of space, and 2 decks, is RIGHT on the water, it's secluded, has off road parking.

So the question is, are we totally insane to consider this? We're going to go see it, and we're going to see what the commute is like. We're going to check out the island. We'd have to change habits like getting groceries delivered etc. But we're both excited because this place is amazing and it's sort of a one time opportunity.

Thank you!
In about 2 years there will be a new metro north service from the East Bronx into Penn Station.There will be a station at Co Op City that will be about a 5 minute drive or bus ride from City Island and then 30 minutes to Penn Station.

City Island is a really nice place to live if you aren't obsessed with going out all the time so I don't think it's insane to think about living there at all.It's not really as isolated as you think.There is a brand new shopping mall with a Macy's,etc that is just 5 minutes away and there is lots of "local" shopping and bars and restaurants on the island.There is also a Fairway just a few minutes away.

Ready, Set, Shop! Mall At Bay Plaza Opens In The Bronx « CBS New York

Old 01-09-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
In about 2 years there will be a new metro north service from the East Bronx into Penn Station.There will be a station at Co Op City that will be about a 5 minute drive or bus ride from City Island and then 30 minutes to Penn Station.

City Island is a really nice place to live if you aren't obsessed with going out all the time so I don't think it's insane to think about living there at all.It's not really as isolated as you think.There is a brand new shopping mall with a Macy's,etc that is just 5 minutes away and there is lots of "local" shopping,bars and restaurants on the island.There is also a Fairway just a few minutes away.

Ready, Set, Shop! Mall At Bay Plaza Opens In The Bronx « CBS New York
That's really helpful info thanks!
We really never go out. Very rarely. We're really over that whole thing.
We were wondering about groceries since we currently use Fresh Direct, but we love Fairway so that's definitely helpful to know.
The only other place we ever really go to is Home Depot and I already saw there is one really close. A mall is always a handy thing too though.
The only reason I'm feeling like it's isolated, is because even though I'm ready to move on, I've only ever lived in Brooklyn so I've been in the whole 'Brooklyn is the center of the universe' mindset, but that will change when I get used to another place.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
That's really helpful info thanks!
We really never go out. Very rarely. We're really over that whole thing.
We were wondering about groceries since we currently use Fresh Direct, but we love Fairway so that's definitely helpful to know.
The only other place we ever really go to is Home Depot and I already saw there is one really close. A mall is always a handy thing too though.
The only reason I'm feeling like it's isolated, is because even though I'm ready to move on, I've only ever lived in Brooklyn so I've been in the whole 'Brooklyn is the center of the universe' mindset, but that will change when I get used to another place.
Fresh Direct delivers everywhere in The Bronx so that doesn't have to change.

I know all about the Brooklyn mindset.Before moving to The Bronx,I lived in Williamsburg for 17 years until 2009. I think it was the "Brooklyn is the center of the universe" mindset that made me decide it was time to leave.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Fresh Direct delivers everywhere in The Bronx so that doesn't have to change.

I know all about the Brooklyn mindset.I lived in Williamsburg for 17 years until 2009. I think it was the "Brooklyn is the center of the universe" mindset that made me decide it was time to leave.
Me too. I was going to get my own place before moving in with my boyfriend but this cute house has made us reconsider.
But I initially decided I may leave because my small budget meant living further out, then I felt kind of free from feeling tied down to BK. I'm excited to do something different.

Also I checked on the Fresh Direct website and they said they didn't deliver there which disappointed me. I guess they just don't want to go over that bridge.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Me too. I was going to get my own place before moving in with my boyfriend but this cute house has made us reconsider.
But I initially decided I may leave because my small budget meant living further out, then I felt kind of free from feeling tied down to BK. I'm excited to do something different.

Also I checked on the Fresh Direct website and they said they didn't deliver there which disappointed me. I guess they just don't want to go over that bridge.
I am surprised they aren't delivering there yet. A few years ago they only delivered in Riverdale. Then about a year or so( when they wanted to move their warehouse to the Bx and everyone complained),they started delivering supposedly to "everywhere" in The Bx.They kind of made a big deal about it.

It will probably happen soon in City Island,especially if people call them and complain but I guess they were lying when they previously said they were delivering "everywhere."

Old 01-09-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
I am surprised they aren't delivering there yet. A few years ago they only delivered in Riverdale. Then about a year or so( when they wanted to move their warehouse to the Bx and everyone complained),they started delivering supposedly to "everywhere" in The Bx.They kind of made a big deal about it.

It will probably happen soon in City Island,especially if people call them and complain but I guess they were lying when they previously said they were delivering "everywhere."
When I started looking this morning I got excited because like you said, they claim to deliver everywhere there, but I checked the zip code checker in case and lo and behold, they don't.

Old 01-09-2015, 03:47 PM

116 posts, read 145,817 times
Quote:

Thank you!
It's funny what a contest with no real award can do to a neighborhood! My spouse and I recently made the leap to move from renting in FiDi to owning in Mott Haven. It can feel pretty bonkers at times, but we literally had the "once in our lifetime" opportunity come up and it just snowballed from there. We dallied on putting in the first offer, lost out to another (faster) bidder, but subsequently ended up being able to make a second offer which was successful! It will be a somewhat different lifestyle in many ways but seriously excited for it!

The true deciding factor was that we know that worst case, if we decided we hated it and wanted to move we could with minimal financial impact (due to many factors including rent savings and resale ability).

It has been a few months since closing, and almost a year since I met the neighborhood, and I can be totally honest that I still haven't had that "oh ****, what have I done??" moment. Quite the opposite in fact.

Based on what you have written, if you like the area and love the house, and aren't going to be getting in over your head financially (which it doesn't sound like!) I recommend going for it. The time between the first and second offer on my now-place was gut-wrenching and I was kicking myself for letting the opportunity pass me by! I was lucky to get a second chance to redeem my decision!

Old 01-09-2015, 05:39 PM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:

Thank you!
Look at Rockaway too - we got a beach!

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-09-2015, 06:08 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Do you have to worry about hurricane or flood insurance for City Island houses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City