Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 08:17 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,986,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
Good advice on omitting it. But there are companies, particularly very prestigious financial companies, that will actually match up your resume with you college transcripts after they make you an offer of course. You need to fill out a form listing your full education background and then they'll match that up with your resume and your college transcript that they will obtain from your school. If they find any discrepancies you would need to provide a full explanation.
Government jobs do this a lot. I'm not sure about private sector. Anything below a 2.0 when it comes government employment, one has to give a good explanation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 08:26 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,041,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Government jobs do this a lot. I'm not sure about private sector. Anything below a 2.0 when it comes government employment, one has to give a good explanation.
How do gov't jobs feel in general about cc's I would assume that it's not an issue. But with some companies in the private sector they do care as you know and your resume wouldn't even make it to the hiring manager to begin with. If you omit it, it can become an issue when they try to match your resume against what you listed in your employment form and your transcript.

Regarding the topic of this thread I'm kinda interested in knowing more details about it. How would you qualify for the free tuition at a community college? I would love to take some free swimming lessons to enrich myself lol.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:26 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,896,064 times
What if you go for an Associate Degree and then get your Bachelors degree. Would you still recommend omitting the Associate Degree in this case? (even if the AS is in something "useful" like Accounting)

Old 01-10-2015, 08:29 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,041,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
What if you go for an Associate Degree and then get your Bachelors degree. Would you still recommend omitting the Associate Degree in this case? (even if the AS is in something "useful" like Accounting)
In general I wouldn't omit it. But if you feel that the company is the kind of company that wouldn't consider candidates that went to community colleges then omit it and think about reasonable explanations to tell the HR why you omitted it just in case. At worst you won't get the job.

I have heard of people even omitting masters degrees from their resume and filled the time gap with verifiable fake experience from consulting companies specialized in helping candidates fake their experience. That kind of omission they wouldn't be able to track since they're only looking at your Bachelors and how you obtained it.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:43 PM

30,562 posts, read 18,061,935 times
I really don't understand the "avoid Kingsborough," etc. language I'm seeing here.

I wouldn't avoid any of the CC's in NYC, especially if you're pursuing nursing and the school has a nursing program. Unless the CC is known to be far above and beyond in a particular area of interest, I'd go for schools that you'd be most comfortable with attending, whether such a decision would be based on distance, culture, etc.

Here's a ranking the "top" CC's in the country, which may be of interest to some. As you can see, Kingsborough is the only NYC CC on the list: The 50 Best Community Colleges in the United States | The Best Schools

This other national ranking lists Kingsborough at no. 5, again while not even ranking any other NYC CC: The 25 Best Community Colleges in the United States | Create a Career

Here's how College Measures lists NYC's respective CC's (excluding Guttman...I guess it's too new to be included in this list) by "success rate," which is based on the percentage of students who graduated within 3 years or transferred to 4 year colleges/universities.: How does your community college stack up? - CNNMoney.com

1) Kingsborough: 42%

2) Queensborough: 37%

3) BMCC: 33%

4) LaGuardia: 30%

5) Hostos: 26%

6) Bronx: 24%

Based on everything above, the advice people are giving in this thread should be "choose Kingsborough!" especially as the OP mentioned transferring to a 4 year college/university (no, I don't take the OP very seriously given that how Obama's CC proposal, which many say is unlikely to be passed by Congress, is portrayed in the first post, but this is still an important conversation to have). Not to mention Kingsborough has its own private beach: http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...wn-beach/?_r=0 Still, I maintain what I wrote above in my second paragraph.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:59 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,889,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by q41apartments View Post
1. Queens College
2. BMCC
3. Baruch
4. Hunter College
5. John Jay
6. QBCC
Queens, John Hay, Baruch, and Hunter are 4 year colleges. BMCC and QBCC are two year colleges that offer associates degrees.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:07 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,889,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
Good advice on omitting it. But there are companies, particularly very prestigious financial companies, that will actually match up your resume with you college transcripts after they make you an offer of course. You need to fill out a form listing your full education background and then they'll match that up with your resume and your college transcript that they will obtain from your school. If they find any discrepancies you would need to provide a full explanation.
Good point, lying on your application can cause issues.

To be completely honest if your kid can get directly into a 4 year college, just have him or her apply for financial aid if you cannot afford to pay the tuition. Your kid will be better off among high achievers than the low achievers at the community colleges. LaGuardia has a graduation rate of 16 percent, and the other community colleges are hardly better. The student body is low quality.

Old 01-11-2015, 11:30 AM

16,200 posts, read 22,986,231 times
From what I know from people who attended community colleges here in the city. After graduation most ended up going into civil service positions which often require 30 or 60 credits, or into medical technician and assistant fields.

Old 01-11-2015, 12:40 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,662,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I really don't understand the "avoid Kingsborough," etc. language I'm seeing here.

If KCC hasn't changed in the past 30 years or so, then it never was seen as a school with high standards. It was the school that required the least to get into. I spent a year there teaching remedial mathematics. These are people who couldn't pass the CUNY math test which was basically 7th grade mathematics. I taught 2-3 classes per day and they were full. Plus I did the tutorial area which was packed every day. From my perspective it was for students who didn't mature in HS. Many either during their time there or graduating from there did go onto better schools. I know a few who are currently in high paying careers who started there.

I also taught at NYCTC and that school was totally different. There I taught programming and their students were seriously into education but didn't have the grades to get into 4 year schools for whatever reason. There I tutored calculus and accounting, but the tutoring room was never full room.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:29 PM

30,562 posts, read 18,061,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
If KCC hasn't changed in the past 30 years or so, then it never was seen as a school with high standards. It was the school that required the least to get into. I spent a year there teaching remedial mathematics. These are people who couldn't pass the CUNY math test which was basically 7th grade mathematics. I taught 2-3 classes per day and they were full. Plus I did the tutorial area which was packed every day. From my perspective it was for students who didn't mature in HS. Many either during their time there or graduating from there did go onto better schools. I know a few who are currently in high paying careers who started there.

I also taught at NYCTC and that school was totally different. There I taught programming and their students were seriously into education but didn't have the grades to get into 4 year schools for whatever reason. There I tutored calculus and accounting, but the tutoring room was never full room.
Apparently, it has, but, for the sake of argument, even if it hasn't, it apparently remains above the other CC's in NYC according to everything that I posted above. If Kingsborough is as you claim (though I'd be curious as to how different Kingsborough was to other CC's in NYC at the time you taught there...without that comparison point, your point about Kingsborough in the context of this discussion is otherwise not very helpful), then what does that say about the other CC's in NYC?

Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, but it was my understanding that all of NYC CC's, outside of a few specialized programs like nursing, long offered open admissions (apparently this process just changed recently due to the high number of applicants), so I'm a bit puzzled about the talk about Kingsborough previously requiring "the least to get into."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/12/ed...nity.html?_r=0
Quote:
Historically, the city’s six community colleges, which are part of the City University of New York, have taken applications until about a week before the start of classes, allowing time for students to apply for financial aid, get immunized and register for classes.
Here's some additional history on open admissions at CC's in NYC: http://www.nyc.gov/html/records/rwg/...df/history.pdf

Quote:
This decision was made in late 1969 . . . CUNY's community colleges began to admit any student with a high school diploma - Regents or not.
So, again, I'm unsure what these lesser requirements that Kingsborough supposedly had are.

Still, it's important to note that everything I supplied refers to more recent data. Apparently, Kingsborough is making the mark in a way NYC's other CC's are not.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 01-11-2015 at 08:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City