Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2015, 08:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,016 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I'm currently living in Westchester County and I am looking to move into the city for a new job I have in Woodside, Queens. I'm considering moving to either Astoria or Long Island City, but really would like to move to Greenpoint in Brooklyn as I have enjoyed the neighborhood from what I've seen. I know, I know, "just move to LIC or Astoria, they're great!" They seem fine, but I just prefer Greenpoint. What I'm wondering about is what the commute would be like if I moved to Greenpoint and needed to commute to Woodside.

How long would it take by train at around 9 a.m. to get from Greenpoint to Woodside?

Google says the neighborhoods are about three miles apart. Is walking an option for me to get to work and how long do you think that would take?

Is switching between the G and 7 subway trains difficult and are they as jam packed with people at commuter times as people say they are?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 08:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,133,578 times
You would have to walk through a lot of industrial areas to get to work, so that's not really an option.

For the 7, you would be traveling against the flow of rush hour traffic, so the crowds wouldn't be an issue. At 9AM, I don't think crowds would really be an issue on the G either.

You also have the option of taking the bus. The B24 runs along Greenpoint Avenue, and brings you to 48th Street & Queens Blvd. Depending on where you work, you may be able to walk from there. You can track the bus using the MTA Bus Time app.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:58 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,321,216 times
10 mins by bike.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:38 AM

43,682 posts, read 44,435,568 times
As said already you would be traveling against the regular commute so I don't think you would have any problems getting on the 7 train and since those areas are close together you are looking at short commute. I suggest you input exact addresses into the MTA website with a 9 AM time to get a better idea.

MTA NYCT - Trip Planner+
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City