Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2015, 06:26 PM

22 posts, read 50,096 times

Advertisements

I'm moving into the city and considering Manhattan and Brooklyn. I'm very familiar with Manhattan and it's different neighborhoods but very naive on Brooklyn. I work in FiDi and my budget is between 1200-1500. I'm trying to find a 1 bedroom or studio.

The best neighborhoods for my commute are out of my price range (Brooklyn Heights, DUMBO) but I'm getting a lot of hits on these neighborhoods.
Prospect Park South
Park Slope
Bushwick
Prospect Lefferts Garden
Kensington
Ditmas Park
Flatbush

Can anyone give some insight on the vibe of these neighborhoods? Safety, energy, young or old, mostly residential or a lot of cafés/shops/restaurants/etc?

I'm a 26 year old professional female. I love culture and art and going out but I don't want to be in a hipster area that feels like college.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 06:41 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
What about Bay Ridge? It is a good, solid neighborhood with some nice dining options. I believe you can still get something for $1500 there.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:54 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
What about Bay Ridge? It is a good, solid neighborhood with some nice dining options. I believe you can still get something for $1500 there.
It is a long commute to FiDi and you are living in one of the more boring neighborhoods. Might be better off getting roommates and enjoying social life while she is young. I think the biggest challenge is she will need to compromise something in order make her budget range due able. Either live with more people in better area, live far away, or dangerous areas (ghetto).

Op- you should check NY Crime map. In order to determine the level of safety you are comfortable with. Brooklyn is a mixed bag of everything (there are ghettos next to some really nice areas).

http://maps.nyc.gov/crime/

Old 01-11-2015, 07:08 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,713 times
Theres some no fee studios in washington heights off of the express 168st train station for $1400-$1600 in an elevator/laundry building.

Bushwick will have some $1400-$1800 studio/1brs, too.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:20 PM

22 posts, read 50,096 times
Thanks for the responses but I'm mostly looking for descriptions of some Brooklyn neighborhoods

Old 01-11-2015, 07:51 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Williamsburg

Old 01-11-2015, 08:24 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,916,177 times
Out of all those areas Kensington would be the best option.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:45 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
I live in Prospect Heights, which borders the NW part of Crown Heights, Park Slope, Clinton Hill, and Fort Green. I think you'd enjoy any of these neighborhoods or sections of neighborhoods.

Some of the pros of living in these areas (these things are generally true for each of the neighborhoods I've listed, and all of the institutions are easy to get to from each neighborhood):

1) great green space (Prospect Park, Fort Greene Park, etc.);

2) cultural and other institutions (Brooklyn Museum, Barclays Center, BAM, Pratt Institute, St. Joseph's College, etc.);

3) great housing stock (from brownstones to limestones to more traditional and modern);

4) great and numerous dining options;

5) solid subway access, though this is more true for some of those areas than others. (Research the G, A/C, 2, 3, 4, 5, N, R, Q, B, D, and LIRR);

6) generally safe areas.

On the flip side, however, you'd have to search pretty hard to find a decent place to live in those areas for that price. Generally, areas in North and Northwest Brooklyn are going to be outside of your price range for what you want, but I wouldn't give up.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 01-11-2015 at 08:55 PM..

Old 01-11-2015, 09:31 PM

290 posts, read 366,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose488 View Post

I'm a 26 year old professional female. I love culture and art and going out but I don't want to be in a hipster area that feels like college.

Thanks in advance!
Avoid Bushwick then. It's a roll of the dice to get an apartment that doesn't have at least a couple of kids in the building partying all the time. We lived there for a bit when we needed a sublet fast and it was probably my least favorite experience in NYC by a large margin. Not a professional crowd, and not a good choice for anyone who has to be in bed by midnight.

Let me put it this way: We lived in the LES, off Ave. C, next to a night club that blasted salsa 5 nights a week and had cigar smokers congregating outside out bedroom window (as well as upstairs neighbors who were alcoholic lawyers) and that was 50x more pleasant than Bushwick.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:54 PM

116 posts, read 353,945 times
Of the neighborhoods you listed, I'm partial to Kensington.
I wasn't sure what Prospect park south was until i checked the map - I still think of that area as Flatbush (showing my age).

Kensington is a strange neighborhood in that it is being encroached on all sides by its neighbors.

One entire side borders Boro Park -which is a Hasidic enclave and which is expanding in every direction.

Windsor Terrace is to the north and the area that borders there is a bit less crowded and is fairly close to Greenwood cemetary. Some realtors will try to convince you its Windsor Terrace. Prospect park is a reasonable walk away. I happen to really love the north part of Kensington because its kind of sweet, and quiet, and neighborhoody.

All the way south you start to inch toward Midwood and the large apartment buildings on Ocean parkway. Transportation options aren't bad over there (you have the F train in one direction and the B/Q in the other but there is less to do over there.

ETA the North Side of Ocean Parkway which is sorta-technically still Kensington is very close to the prospect expressway... which tends to get trafficky during peak times and There is a fair amount of car activity at all times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: