Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 07:52 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
What about Mexicans? Why are they fighting so hard in Cali for Asian quotas?
Too be fair they face their own segregation and discrimination. Honestly, it the least thing we can do for people doing the jobs no american would want to do themselves.

Quote:
Is it to avenge losing Texas?
Good one..haha

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 07:54 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,549,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
You are being disingenuous if you think the people who fought for affirmative action should not be the ones who benefit from it. Let's ignore the years of segregation and discrimination. We can all pretend White and Asian don't have a significant advantage by not having to carry the baggage that was left behind from the actions of previous generations.
You don't think that there's a history of marginalizing and discriminating against asians in the US?

Old 01-16-2015, 07:57 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,637 times
Quote:
Too be fair they face their own segregation and discrimination. Honestly, it the least thing we can do for people doing the jobs no american would want to do themselves.

Good one..haha
Ummmm and Asians don't? Just read city data for details.

I just realized that I'm supporting Asian quotas by eating taco bell. Another stunning eye opener. Lol what a joke this stuff really is. But things will change the constitution has always been interpreted by those with political power. This is a weakness at the same time it's also brought about some great changesbto this country. God Bless America!

Old 01-16-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
You don't think that there's a history of marginalizing and discriminating against asians in the US?

Quote:
Ummmm and Asians don't? Just read city data for details.
I don't mean to marginalize by picking and choosing each minority and justifying why one is better than the other. A lot of minorities have faced discrimination and segregation when they first came to this country.

My main point is the people who endured it should benefit from it. When you have wealthy immigrants coming over and have the same advantage of a white person, they shouldn't get an added benefit because of their race (it is gaming the system). It should be based on merit for people who it originally intended to benefit, rather than exclusively race itself.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
I don't mean to marginalize by picking and choosing each minority and justifying why one is better than the other. A lot of minorities have faced discrimination and segregation when they first came to this country.

My main point is the people who endured it should benefit from it. When you have wealthy immigrants coming over and have the same advantage of a white person, they shouldn't get the benefit of their race being a part of it (it is gaming the system). It should be based on merit for people who it originally intended to benefit, rather than exclusively race itself.
Who's a wealthy immigrant? How many are there? Are you referring to all the rich Latinos in Miami? Up until 2000s there were very few wealthy immigrants coming from Asia. Asian implicit quotas have been around since the early 90s. Just about all the Chinese I knew at the time had parents making min wage at restaurants and sweatshops. When you go eat dim sum next time take a look at the people and try lying to yourself that they are wealthy. If that makes you feel bad pm me and I'll drive there with a group of Asians with brand new Mercedes and Audis so you and some others can cherry pick your memories. Well mine isn't new has about 17k miles now, but that will do.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 01-16-2015 at 08:23 PM..

Old 01-16-2015, 08:15 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,549,540 times
I doubt the halls of any CUNY are littered with wealthy students, regardless of race.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Who's a wealthy immigrant? How many are there? Are you referring to all the rich Latinos in Miami? Up until 2000s there were very few wealthy immigrants coming from Asia. Asian implicit quotas have been around since the early 90s. Just about all the Chinese I knew at the time had parents making min wage at restaurants and sweatshops.
Mostly Chinese/Asian society. A immigrant now a days can come to flushing, NY and succeed without having much limitation (even if they can't speak English). Asian couple can work in a restaurant while under reporting their wages and save enough to start business/buy a co-op. There is a lot of influx of money going into Asian communities from china now that the economy over there has improved significantly. A lot of the restaurants hire the immigrant Mexican who can't speak English to be the bus boy.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Mostly Chinese/Asian society. A immigrant now a days can come to flushing, NY and succeed without having much limitation (even if they can't speak English). Asian couple can work in a restaurant while under reporting their wages and save enough to start business/buy a co-op. There is a lot of influx of money going into Asian communities from china now that the economy over there has improved significantly. A lot of the restaurants hire the immigrant Mexican who can't speak English to be the bus boy.
And Mexican bus boys pay taxes? How much you want to bet that a Mexican bus boy in Manhattan makes more than a bus boy at a dim sum rest. How much do you want to bet that a Mexican day laborer makes more than a Chinese doing the same job? I know cause I asked my contractors. If both are unskilled the Mexican commands 40% more per day ($90/100 per day) Chinese 60-70. The diff is that the Chinese one saves 50% of that to buy a crappy co op. Reason for the salary diff the Chinese doesn't speak a word of English. Also don't kid yourself that only Asians don't pay taxes. I've paid stacks of hundreds to both my White and Asian contractors before.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
And Mexican bus boys pay taxes? How much you want to bet that a Mexican bus boy in Manhattan makes more than a bus boy at a dim sum rest. How much do you want to bet that a Mexican day laborer makes more than a Chinese doing the same job? I know cause I asked my contractors. If both are unskilled the Mexican commands 40% more per day ($90 per day) Chinese 60-70.
We are cherry picking data. My main point is Asian communities in america will continue to prosper as long as the country of origin continues to develop economically. If Latin america and Africa were to prosper in the same way, maybe their communities would also gain.

Chinese are all buying luxury apartments and investing significant money into Asian communities in US (Cali and NY). This will be beneficial to all.

I was only providing a example of how a immigrant can get by in NY and make decent money. Sometimes even better than an american who lives here. If I didn't add the tax example, it wouldn't make sense how it is possible.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:15 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
I just don't agree with the assumption that lower income kids are at a disadvantage for standardized tests because they can't afford prep courses. I never took any prep courses and still managed to score really high on my SATs. Perhaps I'm a rare genius but I doubt it. You don't need prep courses to do well on these tests. You do however, need a good high school education. So the kid in the article is a valedictorian for his high school but there is no mention whether the school is actually any good. This is why they use standardized tests.
Exactly. For the SHSAT, I took the 5 practice exams that came with the (free) application, and my score was high enough to get into Stuyvesant. For the regular SAT, I didn't study at all and did really well. You just have to know how to break down the question, and apply basic high school knowledge to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City