Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 06:44 AM

664 posts, read 807,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Sounds great. I think I would personally love to live in Pittsburgh, instead I'm stuck here.
I'm with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 07:02 AM

950 posts, read 1,259,526 times
My sister and her husband live in Piermont.She takes the bus into the city to work and her husband drives a company van. They use the car mainly to go shopping, run errands and visit friends.
They place they live in is owned by her in laws, though I think he gives his parents some money .
Here in the San Antonio,Tx area the buses run mainly in the city. If you live in a town outside of San Antonio you have to drive,and even with bus service many people still drive their cars.As was mentioned before crunch the numbers and surely there must be some apartment guides in your area that you can check out. Here the local realtors put one out with the various apartments in and around the San Antonio area with photos some floor plans,and other info including rent prices.I would think they do that also in NY.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:02 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,546 times
Come move down here with us in Philadelphia.

Only the problem is that crappy neighbor is everywhere. Even in the most remote part of the country.
However with the same amount of money you pay for rent up there, you will have more options down here. Plus we have good public transportation.
And if you miss home, you can just hop on train and / or MegaBus / Bolt Buy and be in NYC less than 2 hour.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:38 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,640,655 times
Moved south 5 years ago, and still no regrets. My job brings me to NYC and/or I visit NYC 3-4 times a year (preferrably in the summer), and usually have a great time and it's enough. Contrary to popular belief, there is a life outside of NYC. Sadly that took me way too many years to realize. Good luck.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:48 PM

5 posts, read 5,381 times
NYC is becoming anti-car more and more. Parking, fines, fees

Old 01-23-2015, 03:00 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Testtaker11 View Post
NYC is becoming anti-car more and more. Parking, fines, fees
It wouldn't be a big deal if NYC didn't have one of the worst public transportation systems in the whole world.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:32 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
It wouldn't be a big deal if NYC didn't have one of the worst public transportation systems in the whole world.
I can't believe that residents are still buying into the track work thing being done on weekends. How many years has it been since getting around on weekends has been a nightmare ? Years upon years now.

You mean to tell me that these Aholes can't provide service to people who work 40+ work hours a week and want to enjoy little free time they have ? It is disgusting...with all the money and taxes that flows through this city.

I think stopping trains on weekend is a cost saver and a way to have crowd control...just my hunch. There is a lot going on in this city that we don't know about and it all leads into a political scheme.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:17 PM

237 posts, read 786,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
I can't believe that residents are still buying into the track work thing being done on weekends. How many years has it been since getting around on weekends has been a nightmare ? Years upon years now.

You mean to tell me that these Aholes can't provide service to people who work 40+ work hours a week and want to enjoy little free time they have ? It is disgusting...with all the money and taxes that flows through this city.

I think stopping trains on weekend is a cost saver and a way to have crowd control...just my hunch. There is a lot going on in this city that we don't know about and it all leads into a political scheme.
Agreed!!!

Old 01-28-2015, 07:11 AM

237 posts, read 329,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink15 View Post
I despise this City.....I have animals for upstair neighbors who has a kid using the apartment as his private playground and nasty disrespectful parents that don't give a damn about anyone but themselves!....I am sick of this City....I can't find any apartments that I can afford and I live in "Brooklyn" which is one of the worst boroughs to live in.....Unless you are "rich" and live in Brooklyn Heights or Park Slope!!!...So, I am looking to get the hell out of here...But, as a single older adult where do I go on my own? ANY SUGGESTIONS?...I don't have a car and need transportation as well as shopping, activities..........and some NORMAL PEOPLE!!!!
I read this and all I hear is "waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaa" *sniffle"

Change your thoughts, change your life.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:25 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink15 View Post
I despise this City.....I have animals for upstair neighbors who has a kid using the apartment as his private playground and nasty disrespectful parents that don't give a damn about anyone but themselves!....I am sick of this City....I can't find any apartments that I can afford and I live in "Brooklyn" which is one of the worst boroughs to live in.....Unless you are "rich" and live in Brooklyn Heights or Park Slope!!!...So, I am looking to get the hell out of here...But, as a single older adult where do I go on my own? ANY SUGGESTIONS?...I don't have a car and need transportation as well as shopping, activities..........and some NORMAL PEOPLE!!!!
I have lived in Florida, Texas and NYC (I am originally from Brooklyn). So, what I am going to say is this. EVERYTHING you complained about you will find anywhere. I was in Miami where the rents were dumb high, the pay was stupid low and the people were terrible. My idiot upstairs neighbor would bowl or throw dice EVERY night around 1:00 in the morning. She had wood floors so we had a full on sound stage going on. She would even vacuum in the middle of the night too. Not sure why she needed to do that on a wood floor, but whatever. You would see her in the hall and she would say "oh, do you hear me at night?". I felt like saying "what the eff do you think?". Had another place where one of the neighbors were on meth and would have his eyes rolling in the back of his head all the time. One lady appeared to be prostituting herself out of her apartment. Can't prove that piece but I think that's what she was doing.

My point is, the things you named are EVERY WHERE. It is very easy to think you are going to escape the ugliness of human nature, but its just not going to happen. Also, if Brooklyn is so expensive then why not check out one of the other boroughs? Or why not check for long island?

If you do decide to leave, I would say save up enough money to get a car, and make sure you get a job before you make a move. Other wise things could get real interesting. Texas is cheap and the pay is good out there. But, its Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City