Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 12:30 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,047,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenCucumber View Post
Wife and I going to spend a weekend each in some of the areas you mentioned, as well as West Chester, Connecticut and Jersey City. Pick a place that we could see ourselves settling down in a couple years, and rent there first to check it out.

I'm curious to see what else is out there - with a reasonable commute to midtown/downtown.

I am also a bit curious to know who rents my current unit for $4K.

Check this place out in Forest Hills. I have a friend looking to buy a 2 bd. It's 1 block from the express subway station. I would say due to the lack of condos in Forest Hills the apartments might go pretty fast.

Premier Luxury For Sale Condos | Forest Hills, NY | The Aston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 03:54 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,170,467 times
Quote:
Landlord wants to raise rent from $3,500 to $3,950. 560 sqft 1 bedroom.
Just curious about your LL. Is the LL an individual private owner or a small group of owners with one or several buildings (possibly through an LLC or an "S" corporation) or a real estate investment trust or a pension fund (foreign or domestic) or a bank (investment or commercial)? Maybe a real estate management company fronts for the real owners so you wouldn't know who they are?

My advice: buy a detached house in Jersey. Most counties in NJ have "conforming" loan limits of $625,500 through Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac. All you would need is 3% down and remember that your mortgage interest and property taxes are deductible. Why enrich your LL?

Old 01-19-2015, 04:30 PM

113 posts, read 208,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Just curious about your LL. Is the LL an individual private owner or a small group of owners with one or several buildings (possibly through an LLC or an "S" corporation) or a real estate investment trust or a pension fund (foreign or domestic) or a bank (investment or commercial)? Maybe a real estate management company fronts for the real owners so you wouldn't know who they are?

My advice: buy a detached house in Jersey. Most counties in NJ have "conforming" loan limits of $625,500 through Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac. All you would need is 3% down and remember that your mortgage interest and property taxes are deductible. Why enrich your LL?
LL is a single person who owns the unit. I thought this would protect me against unnecessary rent raises like the big box buildings.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:36 PM

I want to say: thank you for all the advice.

Upon reflection, I think I am surprised that I too can't afford to settle down here. That's why I wrote the original post. I know I am very blessed in life, and I do well. I thought that meant I would be able to settle down here, or leave on my terms at least. That I can't, leaves my head scratching for who those are that can afford Manhattan (as my post is poorly written, it was targeted towards Manhattan vs. the boroughs). Older folks (I'm in 30s), dual-income households (we are effectively a single-income household), parental support, wealthy foreigners... I think that's who the 'winners' are.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
Check this place out in Forest Hills. I have a friend looking to buy a 2 bd. It's 1 block from the express subway station. I would say due to the lack of condos in Forest Hills the apartments might go pretty fast.

Premier Luxury For Sale Condos | Forest Hills, NY | The Aston
Thanks, I did look at it. I think I'm 1-2 years away from buying. I'm firmly committed to buying somewhere, but need at least another year of stability before pulling the trigger.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:55 PM

555 posts, read 616,657 times
Quote:

Upon reflection, I think I am surprised that I too can't afford to settle down here. That's why I wrote the original post. I know I am very blessed in life, and I do well. I thought that meant I would be able to settle down here, or leave on my terms at least. That I can't, leaves my head scratching for who those are that can afford Manhattan (as my post is poorly written, it was targeted towards Manhattan vs. the boroughs). Older folks (I'm in 30s), dual-income households (we are effectively a single-income household), parental support, wealthy foreigners... I think that's who the 'winners' are.
if you can afford $3,500 in rent, but can't afford to buy, you're doing something wrong.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:46 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,857,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanson View Post
Metro North is 10x better than taking the subway; it costs a lot more but I think it's worth it.
Unless you have to make the downtown subway connection at Grand Central.

Quote:
Landlord wants to raise rent from $3,500 to $3,950. 560 sqft 1 bedroom. Not expecting sympathy here as we can afford this rent. But for first time in 10 years, we are going to actively look at moving into an outer borough or out of NY. $50K of after-tax dollars to live in a box where landlords don't update appliances, while your own tax rates keep going up.... we are getting ready to leave New York to the super-wealthy.
I may have missed this - Which part of Manhattan are you paying $4K for a 560sqft and what kind of building is this? Even by today's standards, it sounds like a rip off that NYCers would normally not pay. Look at Astoria. You can get a 1BR for much less than that and have a breeze of a commute to both midtown east or west, or downtown via connection at Union Square.

Last edited by Forest_Hills_Daddy; 01-19-2015 at 07:01 PM..

Old 01-19-2015, 06:59 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,880,849 times
Quote:

To be honest, you have been living your life irresponsibly and should think about the decision you have made throughout the time you have been in NY. You should seek professional help (financial planner/advisor) if you find yourself struggling.

My biggest surprise is you don't have friends and family who should have gave you better guidance in terms of saving and investing your money. Renting for 10 years is paying off someone else mortgage, while you end up having nothing to show for the money you spent (it is crazy).

Old 01-19-2015, 07:33 PM

664 posts, read 806,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
if you can afford $3,500 in rent, but can't afford to buy, you're doing something wrong.
How so?

You pay the rent you can afford, and in this city, $3500 is pretty much an entry-level rent into Manhattan.

Most renters are paying just barely what they can afford, and have no money left over for a down payment.

How is that doing something "wrong"?

Old 01-19-2015, 07:34 PM

664 posts, read 806,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
To be honest, you have been living your life irresponsibly and should think about the decision you have made throughout the time you have been in NY. You should seek professional help (financial planner/advisor) if you find yourself struggling.
Wow. Unnecessarily harsh and judgemental.

And frankly, inaccurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City