Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 05:38 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xTwiinKy View Post
Ok I'm a 17yo kid with a really stupid simple question I don't care enough to research and get the whole story because I never plan to live in Manhattan in the near future. So could you spare me with your applicable knowledge? Thanks!

Why is manhattan real estate so astronomically high? (or is it idk) Why don't they just build a **** ton more buildings/higher? (supply/demand)
I think there's a basic point that everyone is assuming you know, and maybe you do.

Manhattan is an island, and a relatively small one. Land is limited and is all accounted for. As a matter of fact, some places in Manhattan were once part of the rivers but were filled in with material excavated from other construction. One example would be Battery Park City in lower Manhattan, which is built on the soil excavated from the original World Trade Center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 07:14 AM

5,118 posts, read 4,967,943 times
My 12 yo child asked the same question when he was unhappy about that we can only afford a two bedroom with a long commute to do things in manhattan.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:46 AM

5,118 posts, read 4,967,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think there's a basic point that everyone is assuming you know, and maybe you do.

Manhattan is an island, and a relatively small one. Land is limited and is all accounted for. As a matter of fact, some places in Manhattan were once part of the rivers but were filled in with material excavated from other construction. One example would be Battery Park City in lower Manhattan, which is built on the soil excavated from the original World Trade Center.
Sure land is a limiting factor but there are multiple options to overcome that limitation if the current city leadership has enough wits in serving NYC residents right.
Instead of doing land fill, it is a lot more effective or cost-effective to 1) build more bridges/tunnels to link manhattan with the outterboroughs especially the wasted the SI; 2) expand the MTA service routes and link BK-QN or QN-BX directly instead of making MA the middle point of everything. This will not only lessen the commute time for a lot of ppl but also will give ppl more reference points in considering where to live instead of using MA as the focal point all the time.
Again, it is tragic that NYC is having an incompetent leadership team in office to succeed the great era brought by RG and MB. Instead of focusing on improving the infrastructure to better the accommodation of productive new comers, BD turned his back on the police force to revive the diminishing thug communities. We all know that a thriving thug culture will drive away peace loving contributing residents and reduce business and tax revenues therefore NYC will probably not need any more new buildings anyway following BD term.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:34 AM

8,688 posts, read 11,076,893 times
manhattan is the center of the universe & there is simply a lot of cash out here.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:05 AM

96 posts, read 117,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTwiinKy View Post
Why is manhattan real estate so astronomically high? (or is it idk) Why don't they just build a **** ton more buildings/higher? (supply/demand)
They are building more and building them higher but the demand (as a real estate investment--not to live primarily) is still higher.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:27 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,311 times
Your 17 your an big grown person since you was 12. Get over the age rubbish. Manhattan is the Palisades of power; and is tourist town ( basically like being inside of an college an "water-down ( *****-willow ) environment". That is why their is so much attention their.

Why not build more buildings for people to live in? Well their was the Barkley Center that was suppose to be an building project. In fact the idea that an stadium could house living structures was also an idea as well. Instead that garbage was made. The bottom-line is that the corporate influences vs the public influences.

For example every time you pay for your phone service you are giving your money to people who do not like and would wish terrible things upon us. That could be any product at all. The city main goal is to get your money as fast as possible and then throw people into jails to continue making money off them. Like in one ear and out the other. That is how cruel the city is really.

People in the city struggle for control of various segments. Think about the politicians and WHERE THEY GET THEIR FUNDING? They get their funding from you silly. When you purchase garbage products like sneakers, plastic cups, when you rent out to monsters ( who knows that you want to rent in that area and will pay money to rent in that area ). They do not care how they milk it from me or you. As long as it is "nice and legal".

The city ( any city ) is really an nice environment for people. It is almost intoxicating ( but the ultimate truth is money, and money money money is the ultimate talk.

Your 17 why not look for your military benefits or do some public enforcing. So many things to do at that perfect age ( at least society wise ).

Old 01-21-2015, 06:13 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
manhattan is the center of the universe & there is simply a lot of cash out here.

manhattan in not everyones center of the universe. It certainley isnt mine. I can drive there anytime I feel like it, which isnt too often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: