Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 07:42 AM

197 posts, read 976,780 times

Advertisements

I've lived in SF most of my professional life and finding housing (back in the mid 2000's) was simply using CL and spending a couple weeks then visiting an apartment and signing a 1-year lease.

Last night I looked at NYC's CL and the ads (w/ no broker fees) seemed a bit ... off. Not sure how to describe it, but it seemed a bit "fake". I asked a few of my colleagues in NYC and they all mentioned that it's common to have a broker find a unit for you and in return, pay them a fee - sometimes equivalent to 1 month's rent.

If that's true, how do I find a trustworthy broker and what value does this broker bring to me vs. me spending time on CL?

Thanks in advance for your help C-D!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 08:26 AM

257 posts, read 684,723 times
It's tough. And the month's rent fee is the best case. Oftentimes brokers want 15% of yearly rent in fee. It's somewhat neighborhood dependent, some places it's fairly common to find no-fee apartments, most of Manhattan falls into that category. In other places, Astoria for example, real no-fee apts are about as common as unicorns. A decent starting resource is streeteasy.com

Old 01-21-2015, 08:56 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times
It's pretty much the same situation in San Francisco at this point no? Brokers, expensive apartments and fakey bait and switch Craigslist ads?

Old 01-21-2015, 09:22 AM

96 posts, read 117,339 times
Finding decent housing in NYC can only happen through a broker. It's a rip off, really, but what can you do? Anyplace there is a high demand for something a middleman will step in to take his cut.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:53 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
Move in with family. If you don't have any in nyc, rent a room for a while.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:46 AM

5,204 posts, read 4,666,583 times
There is nothing that says an apartment has to be listed on Craigslist and in my experience, there are just so many scams on that site. So the difference between using a broker vs Craigslist is not just cost. The broker will have access to apartments you won't find on CL. However, there are other more legitimate sites landlords use in addition to various brokers so you can shop around for one you like. I have seen the same apartment through different brokers and one of them charged a much higher fee.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:43 AM

624 posts, read 982,218 times
Use brokers, use craigslist, use streeteasy and other nyc sites, knock on doors and ask supers, etc.. Do everything you can to find a place. All of the above options can work.

Not everything is on craigslist but many times there are things on craigslist which you cannot find anywhere else. Thats how I found my apartment in the Bronx which was not listed anywhere or by any broker. I also was shown but did not get an amazing apartment in Inwood with views of the HH bridge. I found this one by simply putting an ad in seeking housing with my income and info and got contacted by someone. You just need to get good at detecting and weeding out the fakes and scams.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:24 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,772,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmatthew5876 View Post
Use brokers, use craigslist, use streeteasy and other nyc sites, knock on doors and ask supers, etc.. Do everything you can to find a place. All of the above options can work.
I'm a real estate agent here in NYC and have to agree to try and do all of these.

Regarding brokers fee It can go anywhere from 1 month to 15% of the annual rent. PLEASE keep in mind Exclusive apts are 15% and usually non negotiable, so please try to find out during the process if you're interested in such an apt.

Good luck. Im a big fan of naked apts website and alot of clients agree.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:27 PM

384 posts, read 512,248 times
Street Easy and Naked Apartments are definitely the best of the listing sites. I find that Zillow often keeps listings long after they've left the market, making it pretty useless.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:28 PM

913 posts, read 2,272,326 times
@OP - try Streeteasy.com. I know what you mean about Craigslist. It feels real low budget and fake. That site needs a make over to stay relevant. I have found things on there and always regretted it. It always turned into a mess.

You can find stuff on Streeteasy with a brokers fee as well. My friend found a real nice place in Astoria, brand new, gut renovated, and 1 month free rent, no brokers fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City