Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 09:07 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,346,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi guy View Post
Take a taxi, have the driver circle it a few times, and then return to Manhattan, never getting out of the taxi. You two would definitely look strange walking around outside that stadium with no game inside, though not necessarily unsafe, it would just look weird.
Hmm, I wonder if this answer is biased...

Yankee Stadium & the South Bronx in general aren't as bad as people make it seem, there's crime everywhere.

If you have the funds then go ahead & take the cab, but if you don't want to blow your money on carfare take the 4, you'll be back at 42 in about 20-25m, then you can take the 7 to Times Square.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 09:28 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,116 times
OP - The train is the best route. The 4 train from grand central directly to Yankee Stadium Stop. The stop is less than one block from the stadium. Take the tour of the stadium and return to grand central.

I think most people caution about walking around the South Bronx for too long. The area is mostly safe, but you might feel uncomfortable if you are not use to it especially at night (try to go early in the morning).

http://mlblogssnaggingbaseballs.file...e_stadium1.jpg
http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/nyy/i...ap_800x800.jpg

Last edited by bmwguydc; 01-26-2015 at 06:56 PM..

Old 01-24-2015, 09:30 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,116 times
Yankee Stadium Tours - Details | yankees.com: Ballpark

Quote:
Classic Individual Tours may be purchased for 14 people or less and commence every 20 minutes primarily from 12 p.m. to 1:40 p.m. Bilingual (Spanish/English) tours may be available. Please call the Tours Department at 646-977-8687 to find out when. At times when tours sell out, other time slots may become available from as early as 9:00 a.m. to as late as 4:40 p.m. Keep in mind, the time on the ticket is the time of the tour.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:48 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the draw of going there if there isn't a game... And that has nothing to do with the Bronx. Both of my parents are from the Bronx and I'm in the Bronx every few months. It's just if I were a tourist with a limited amount of time, I'm not sure I would just take the train up to take a picture of the new stadium.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:57 PM

898 posts, read 1,218,098 times
why are you going there? baseball is not in season. you just want to see the outside of the building? a girl i knew 2 years ago told me a story of how a car pulled up to her and her friend and she had to run and just made it into her building before the guy grabbed her to be trafficked. you must be nuts to go there. if anything bad happens to you, i blame you, not the criminal. you are an adult making a stupid choice.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:24 PM

7 posts, read 18,077 times
NYer23, thanks, that's what i saw that piqued my interest in doing a tour originally, was trying to post it earlier as a screenshot to no avail. But anyway, thanks for all the input guys, needed to know kind of what to expect if we go to this area

Old 01-24-2015, 11:40 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyS89 View Post
Hi NYers! Dilemma I currently have that I'm hoping for some advice on since I have never been to NY. Me and my twin sister have booked a trip to the City for our 26th birthday and want to visit Yankee Stadium. I, of course, have heard all the bad things about the Bronx but am really unsure just how bad it is. It will be the weekend before the home opener so I wanted to do a tour and see the stadium that way, thought it'd be a once in a lifetime experience. Would you be hesitant to let your 26 year old sisters/daughters travel there during the day? We are from the southwest and I'm afraid we definitely will look like tourists lol. Any advice? Thanks!

Here is my take on this. You and your sister are going to be fine visiting Yankee Stadium. Heck most likely you two will be hassled, hustled and haggled on the tourist areas of Manhattan than you would by coming up to visit Yankee Stadium in the Bronx. Plenty of tourists go to the area to check it out and take photos of the stadium such as stand-ins and selfies. Just come check it out take a picture, or even check out the view from the subway heading into the stadium. If you want grab a bite to eat at Yankee Steakhouse, Hardrock Café, there are a couple of other dining spots in the area like Giovanni Pizza not to far from the Stadium on 150th grand concourse. Last but not least try and see if you can take a Yankee Stadium tour. Just enjoy yourselves and residents wont bother you unless if they want to sell you something or begging your for something which only happens during game days. Come to think of it I have grown accustomed to seeing tourist in the South Bronx taking odd pictures lately. One of the great things about Yankee Stadium is its proximity to Manhattan. Other venues such as Barclay's In Brooklyn and Citi Field in Queens are further away from Manhattan

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 01-24-2015 at 11:53 PM..

Old 01-25-2015, 12:04 AM

5,517 posts, read 8,762,507 times
Your fears are way overblown. You'll get off the D train at the stadium, walk a block to the a Stadium, take the tour, and come back to your hotel. Nobody will pay any attention to you. It's not like no one had seen two white girls in the Bronx before. And as has been mentioned, you are also near the Bronx Courthouse and a few blocks from a large shopping mall. No one is planning their day around your arrival. Frankly, you have a greater chance of being mugged or having your pocketbook stolen in Times Square.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:34 AM

4 posts, read 4,367 times
Take subway. Cheap and easy. I think there's tours in the stadium. Has to be.
Go! Twins! Go!

Old 01-25-2015, 07:46 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Your fears are way overblown. You'll get off the D train at the stadium, walk a block to the a Stadium, take the tour, and come back to your hotel. Nobody will pay any attention to you. It's not like no one had seen two white girls in the Bronx before. And as has been mentioned, you are also near the Bronx Courthouse and a few blocks from a large shopping mall. No one is planning their day around your arrival. Frankly, you have a greater chance of being mugged or having your pocketbook stolen in Times Square.
This is what I was thinking. The stadium isn't even a block from the train. Its pretty much just one street crossing and you are there. And if there are tour going on other people will be coming and going as well. Still think its a waste of time, but not a death sentence that people on here are trying to sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: