Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 07:23 AM

857 posts, read 1,201,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluttereagle View Post
1. Phase out rent control and rent stabilization over 10 years
2. Phase out the housing projects over 10 years
3. End landmarking
4. Enforce traffic laws
5. Repeal NYC income tax
6. Tax foreign investors buying trophy properties that sit vacant
7. Complete 2nd avenue subway and build new subway lines from Queens to Brooklyn
8. Put people on welfare to work cleaning the sidewalks and subways
9. Make the streets more pedestrian and cyclist friendly
doesnt the city already have something like this in a welfare-to-work type program???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Living in NYC. Off the top of my head...

Get rid of rent regulation.

Get rid of landmarking.

Sell off public housing.

Redo the zoning code from scratch, to encourage more housing development in residential areas, and more office development in the core business districts in midtown and downtown. I'd probably act to discourage residential development in these areas.

Impose development fees to pay for the infrastructure to support this development.

Convert the school system to a voucher based system. Sell the existing public schools to private operators. The operators
would be limited to how many individual schools they could own, and how close their schools could be to each other. This way parents in any area would have a choice between operators.

I'd have intensive law enforcement zones based on crime statistics. The precincts with the highest crime would get more cops and more intensive policing. Broken windows will be reimposed city wide. Stop and frisk will be used in the intensive enforcement zones.

I'd have a shall issue system for gun permits (including carry.) Anyone who can show they have no felony convictions and were not legally declared mentally incompetent can own and carry any gun that's legal in the US.

I'd have massive redevelopment of both airports, including single seat rail systems from Manhattan to both. These would be from remote terminals in Manhattan where passengers could check in and go through security. This could be extended to stations in Brooklyn and Queens, if enough demand could be shown.

Encourage the higher education development that's currently happening (NYU, Columbia, Cornell, etc.) Develop a business and technology incubator system to fund start-ups that come out of these universities.

This is what I can come up with off the top of my head. I'm sure I could come up with more.
u must really want poor and working people to be nonexistant in new york city....good luck with that. Poor people have to be numerous for a capitalist society to thrive......and New York is the capital and patron saint of capitalism so....

Old 01-26-2015, 08:15 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times
Yes, change the city's weather to something warmer, where there is little to no snow each year.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:16 AM

hmmmm....I have a few ideas.....

- Bring all bridge and tunnel crossings to no more than $5. Tolls will only go up if COMPETENT civil engineers can prove beyond reasonable doubt that a rate increase can efficiently upgrade the infrastructure.

- Bring the subway and bus fares down to no higher than $2

- Bring back the 1 day transit pass, which shall cost no more than $8

- Bring back rent control; HOWEVER, i shall create a system in which landlords can secure a separate set of funds for building upkeep if rental income cant pay for it. If all else fails, rent increases will be allowed but no more of this $500/month - $1800/month rent hikes

- Bring light and some heavy industry back to the city, esp the Bklyn Navy Yard and Hunts Point. It will bring living wage jobs that new yorkers can actually live and feed a family off of.

- Give the poor in the inner cities access to legitimate employment. More access to solid living wage jobs = less people turning to crime to earn a living. Ex-felons who are SERIOUS about being law abiding citizens again will be given the same access to these opportunities long as they show and prove (although convicted rapists and chiuld sex offenders will be FORBIDDEN from working in women and children centric jobs unless their innocent, can prove their innoence and the case is thrown out).

- Crime will be dealt with accordingly. The NYPD will aggresively pursue criminals ONCE ITS DETERMINED THAT SAID PERSON IS ACTUALLY COMMITING A CRIME!!!!!! This aggressive pursuit of criminals will not discriminate......it will be enforced just as strongly in Bensonhurst, Staten Island, Sheepshead Bay, Park Slope and other said areas as it will be enforced in East NY, the South Bronx, Far rockaway, etc.

- with the above being said, NYPD personnel will have a strong and full understanding not to criminalize law abiding citizens residing in high crime areas. In short, only actual and proven criminals will be treated as criminals, not the whole focking neighborhood a la the giuliani era.

-if stop and frisk is reinstated, then I will also institute a stop and inspect operation, in which NYPD and white collar crime investigators can randomly stop search and inspect wall street and other financial and commerce offices for evidence of fraud, and other white collar crime that tends to bankrupt an entire economy

-Make the poor parts of New York like poorer neighborhoods in toronto....it doesnt have to be fancy with bells and whistles but the sanitation dept and all other agencies responsible WILL keep the neighborhoods clean, roads, parks and playgrounds maintained.....this includes NYCHA properties.

- Build the second ave subway and then have it come into the bronx and come above ground as the 3rd ave elevated.....

- extend the staten island railway into bay ridge and have it connect to the r train.

- rename St James PL in Bed stuy after Christopher Wallace. I dnt give a shut if the yuppies like it or not. lol

- Have 1520 sedgwick in the bronx declared a national landmark.

- Have a hip hop museum and hall of fame built in New York City, preferably somewhere in the Bronx....

hey a man can dream.....*shrugs*

Old 01-26-2015, 08:30 AM

8,694 posts, read 11,081,311 times
I don't hate NYC but it can be a lot better

-Dismantle the MTA. Get rid of the unions
-End rent control & rent stabilization
-End pension plans for public employees. Its outdated. Give them 401k like everyone else.
-Yes, the naming of people after buildings, bridges, tunnel, etc has gone out of control.
-More stop & frisk....sure frisk everyone especially the high crime areas.
-Get rid of red light cameras & speeding cameras.
-Traffic fines should be relative to income, like Switzerland. You make 10 mil a year? 20 grand speeding fine.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:40 AM

15,844 posts, read 14,479,382 times
I have nothing against the working class. I have no use for the non-working poor. Those I'd squeeze out of the city. The space they take up can be taken over by the working class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
u must really want poor and working people to be nonexistant in new york city....good luck with that. Poor people have to be numerous for a capitalist society to thrive......and New York is the capital and patron saint of capitalism so....

Old 01-26-2015, 01:23 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
doesnt the city already have something like this in a welfare-to-work type program???
Ready Willing And Able. Convicts Are Us cleaning service at YOUR service.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:45 PM

5 posts, read 3,620 times
New York is my favourite city in the world.

But here is what I would change

1. I would get rid of the projects.

2. I would make Manhattan an international free trade zone. Or make it city-state like Monaco. Or perhaps just a district like Washington, D.C. I think New York State drags it down. It's exceedingly rich and is bogged down by "programs", upstate rustbelt, leeches and other Albany waste. It's crazy to think it has the highest per capita income of any county when there are a good 200,000 people living there who don't do anything, make nothing and collect benefits. Imagine if they were to disappear.

3. Heavily landmark huge portions of the city. There are so many stunning buildings that aren't land marked and are/or risk being torn down and replaced with ugly buildings.

4. Bring back Bloomberg and make him the mayor for life.

5. Turn the torn down public housing in Manhattan and Brooklyn into parkland.

6. Eliminate city taxes.

7. Upgrade the subway to look like trains in Asia.

8. Dismantle the MTA and leave it to private investors. Big government is so wasteful and incompetent.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:52 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Interesting. The number one by a fair margin change that is desired is an end to rent control statutes. Some perspective: the national average cost of living index number is 100. My city, Portland is 104 (or 107 depending on who you ask). Detroit is 99.6. NYC is 216. The minimum wage in Portland is $9.25. In NYC it is $7.25 and only because no city in the United States can be lower than that. If "rent control" had been applied to the minimum wage and it had been indexed to the average COL of the country it would be $20/hr. Instead it is $7.25. What do you think a nice apartment in an average part of Brooklyn should cost given the above. As a reference, such an apartment in Portland is in the $1200 - $1500 range. That's for 2 bedrooms. Let's just say for grins that it should be $5K/mo. Is that realistic?

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City