Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2015, 11:28 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,361,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dermagirl View Post
Hello Newyorkers
I just got a job offer in New york city and was wondering if it is safe to live in Kew Gardens or Forest hill???
I will be working long hoursand gets done pretty late in the evening. Now my job is stressful so I would like to avoid being stressed about the neighbourhood etc...and be able to come home safe at any time of the night. I am also planning to Use the subway....please please tell me your honest opinions and also great apartments that i should look up..thanks
I live in Kew Gardens. You will be fine. Its safe, quiet etc.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 11:56 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,653,026 times
Kew Gardens and Forest hill are safer than any "hipster land" in NYC.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:43 AM

62 posts, read 83,592 times
Hello,
I just moved from Kew Gardens to NC in October. I ALWAYS felt safe walking from train station to my apt. I lived on 83 ave, two blocks from the E Train- Kew Gardens/Union Turnpike. Station. People were always walking from the train station at the same time.

If you decide to move to Kew Gardens, you will enjoy living there. As a single female, I enjoyed living in Kew Gardens.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:07 AM

2,625 posts, read 3,412,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
probably one of the safest in queens & the prices reflect that as well. If you are afraid late at night, there is a row of green taxi waiting upstairs at 71st Continental subway stop

Interesting that you are deemed a "Junior Member" (per the title under your User Name "Sirtiger") and yet you have over 3000-something postings to-date! I would most certainly think that CITY-DATA.COM would have made you a "Senior Member" a long, long time ago. Is this just an oversight or mistake on C-D's part? I guess I don't understand C-D's criteria for labeling someone "Junior" versus "Senior".

Coincidentally, just tonight (sometime after midnight), I happened to pass the 1000 mark for my total number of postings over my history on C-D.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:42 AM

2,625 posts, read 3,412,268 times
With no place on the entire planet Earth or in the entire universe being 100% guaranteed safe (or in New York City), it can be said that the Forest Hills - Rego Park - Kew Gardens area is altogether as safe a cluster of adjoining neighborhoods as an urban locale can get (or even a suburban locale). It is not known (and never was known) as a crime hotspot at ANY time of day or night.

Still, you have to be careful everyplace you are and at any hour. A famous murder rape-murder case from 1964 that took place in Kew Gardens in the middle of the night (3 AM or so) was that of Kitty Genovese (a New York City woman who was stabbed to death and, while she was dying, raped and robbed by a stranger named Winston Moseley who stalked and attacked her near her home in Kew Gardens on March 13, 1964). Yet the whole area of Forest Hills - Rego Park - Kew Garden (and even varied adjoining areas to them) is not known for being a crime hotspot in any way. Moseley could have just as well chosen to attack a woman in Washington Heights or the Upper East Side in Manhattan or in Park Slope or East New York in Brooklyn or in Jersey City, NJ or in a suburban community like Larchmont, NY (Westchester County). But he just happened to come through Kew Gardens in his car and, while passing through, looked for a female victim. A case of pure coincidence that it just happened to occur in Kew Gardens, Queens (you can read up about her on Wikipedia). He is still in prison per this date at age 78 (per this writing).

Old 02-03-2015, 07:05 PM

17 posts, read 44,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
just don't think about Kitty Genovese and you'll be fine...
i will try not to

Last edited by dermagirl; 02-03-2015 at 07:14 PM..

Old 02-03-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishie723 View Post
Hello,
I just moved from Kew Gardens to NC in October. I ALWAYS felt safe walking from train station to my apt. I lived on 83 ave, two blocks from the E Train- Kew Gardens/Union Turnpike. Station. People were always walking from the train station at the same time.

If you decide to move to Kew Gardens, you will enjoy living there. As a single female, I enjoyed living in Kew Gardens.
Hi thankx for the reply, like how late did you walk..around midnight late or???

Old 02-03-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
With no place on the entire planet Earth or in the entire universe being 100% guaranteed safe (or in New York City), it can be said that the Forest Hills - Rego Park - Kew Gardens area is altogether as safe a cluster of adjoining neighborhoods as an urban locale can get (or even a suburban locale). It is not known (and never was known) as a crime hotspot at ANY time of day or night.

Still, you have to be careful everyplace you are and at any hour. A famous murder rape-murder case from 1964 that took place in Kew Gardens in the middle of the night (3 AM or so) was that of Kitty Genovese (a New York City woman who was stabbed to death and, while she was dying, raped and robbed by a stranger named Winston Moseley who stalked and attacked her near her home in Kew Gardens on March 13, 1964). Yet the whole area of Forest Hills - Rego Park - Kew Garden (and even varied adjoining areas to them) is not known for being a crime hotspot in any way. Moseley could have just as well chosen to attack a woman in Washington Heights or the Upper East Side in Manhattan or in Park Slope or East New York in Brooklyn or in Jersey City, NJ or in a suburban community like Larchmont, NY (Westchester County). But he just happened to come through Kew Gardens in his car and, while passing through, looked for a female victim. A case of pure coincidence that it just happened to occur in Kew Gardens, Queens (you can read up about her on Wikipedia). He is still in prison per this date at age 78 (per this writing).

Gee thanks for the detailed post...im having second thoughts now..lol

Old 02-03-2015, 07:17 PM

you guys are all wonderful....thank youu for the response.. now here comes another question, Which apartment complexes you would recommend? with good administrations, clean and comfrtable apt. either in kew gardens or forest hill...my boyfriend and i want either a studio or 1 bedroom

Old 02-03-2015, 07:21 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,913,245 times
Both neighborhoods are among the safest in the whole city. I live right by the border of Forest Hills so I know the area very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City