U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2008, 10:37 AM

101 posts, read 377,113 times

Advertisements

We recently had reason to take a cab to Seagirt & 20th St. for visit a doctor's office. Believe it or not, I had never really noticed that area before. I particulary took note of Wavecrest Gardens. The rent there would be a lot cheaper than what we're paying now. My question though is: what is that area like, safety wise, particularly Wavecrest Gardens itself? Is it considered the ghetto? It would be particulary convenient to the bus lines (#22 and the buses going to the Five Towns area) but I know it's a bit of a trip to the subway.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 10:42 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,572,801 times
SeventhFloor will be able to answer this with much more intamacy but that particular development is not bad. Its right across from the beach which is nice and like you said, it is convenient to Five Towns and Long Beach.

If you start to make your way west or north you start to get into some not so nice areas, especially at night.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:58 AM

30,019 posts, read 42,759,338 times
my family lived there when i was a baby. 2031 seagirt #5E.

the complex is overall ok. some buildings worse than others. i havent been in every building, but every one i've been in was spotlessly clean. i've never seen anybody hanging outside in front of the buildings themselves. you may get people hanging outside in the courtyards outside of the buildings themselves, or on the steps leading to the courtyards, but if they are they dont bother anybody. the apartment are good sized and they look clean and maintained as well, but this would have to be on a case by case basis. rowdy teenagers, begging old people from the nursing home, and an occasional bum or 2 hang out at the bodega on beach 20th next to the bank of america, but thats nothing to worry about either. they dont bother anybody aside from the bums and the old people from the nursing home asking for change. cvs is in wavecrest gardens shopping center, which is good. i'm not fond of the supermarket tho, its an average hood supermarket, with some subpar goods. other than that, you have the subway sandwiches (jared), a chinese restaurant, a store that changes its mind on what it wants to be once a year, a russian bakery, a pizza place, a west indian restaurant, and a sports medicine office. the cvs obviously is the most convenient, the pizza place is decent, i never ate at the west indian place only because i'm of west indian descent and i wont pay for food my mother can cook me for free. i dont eat at the chinese place either because i dont think they're clean.

overall i would definitely live there....studios are 700-800, 1 bdrms are 900-1050, 2 bdrms are 1050-1200.

also they have laundry rooms on the premises, and if you have big garbage like an old TV for example, you just leave it downstairs and maintenance takes care of it.

so its a little bit ghetto but i wouldnt say all the way. don't you live in rockaway beach? do you live near hammels? this area of far rockaway is certainly safer than over there. in my opinion, rockaway beach also looks much dirtier, but you can attribute that to rockaway beach being built up before far rockaway, so the buildings and infrastructure aged considerably.

and the subway is actually a 10-20 minute walk, depending from which building in the complex you start at. (beach 25th street - wavecrest stop).

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 01-08-2008 at 11:06 AM..

Old 01-08-2008, 11:35 AM

Default SeventhFloor

Yes, we now live at 94th Street & Holland Avenue and I've noticed coming back from Far Rockaway that this area actually looks worse than Far Rock.
I hate to bring this up and it should make absolutely no difference, but we are white. Would we stand out like a sole thumb if we did move to Wavecrest Gardens in Far Rockaway? I know that there are parts of Far Rockaway where it might be a problem, but what about the Wavecrest development?

Old 01-08-2008, 12:13 PM

its mixed....white people live there too

Old 01-08-2008, 08:57 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,572,801 times
Carol, my parents sold their house on Beach 92 St last year and when I saw photos of the house recently I couldn't believe they had put bars on all the windows! Have things gotten that bad there? Do you have your name on the list for Dayton Towers or Surfside apartments? I think those would be nicer than Wavecrest.

Anyway, I was surprised to read in today's Daily News that the 101 Pct is worst in the city for crime.. actually the highest percentage increases for 2007. That is too bad because it looked like the peninsula was going through a revival. The subprime mess is really going to take its toll on the area.

101st precinct tops list for worst crime

Old 01-08-2008, 09:54 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,565,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
Carol, my parents sold their house on Beach 92 St last year and when I saw photos of the house recently I couldn't believe they had put bars on all the windows! Have things gotten that bad there? Do you have your name on the list for Dayton Towers or Surfside apartments? I think those would be nicer than Wavecrest.

Anyway, I was surprised to read in today's Daily News that the 101 Pct is worst in the city for crime.. actually the highest percentage increases for 2007. That is too bad because it looked like the peninsula was going through a revival. The subprime mess is really going to take its toll on the area.

101st precinct tops list for worst crime
the sub prime mess has little to do with the problems out there, most of the residents are in public housing

Old 01-09-2008, 11:00 AM

Default Reply to Baylovers re Dayton Towers

Yes, we do have our names on the list for Dayton Towers. However, we were advised that the waiting time is up to 5-6 years or longer.

I just wanted to look into alternatives.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:44 PM

dayton is near impossbile to get into....most people that live there move out and keep the apartment in their name and let a family member move in. they are nice buildings however and if you get in there consider yourself lucky.

and most crime in the rockaways is due to the public housing. we simply have too much out here.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 6,783 times
I signed a 1 year lease, and I have lived here for 3 months now, and I cant wait to move out. The landscaping is nice, thats about it. There are signs all over the place that say "No dogs allowed", and I was told I cant have any pets, but LOTS of people have dogs, and not many of them clean up the dog ****, especially around building 33. The heat is horrible, there is no thermostat in the apartments, its controlled by the super of the building. When the heat is on, its too hot, and you have to sleep with the window open, and when the heat is off, its freezing. There is no "in between", either its on or off. The windows are not insulated, you get the draft from the beach in the winter. There is a roach problem, they come from the garbage rooms and other peoples apartments. The snow removal in the winter time is horrible. They dont do a good job removing the snow from the free parking spaces. Talking about parking, its bad. If you dont pay extra for a garage space or a reserved space, $110, and $75, you have to park in the regular outside lots, they get full 6:30pm, and the closest parking is on the street, several blocks away, and its not that safe to walk that far after 10pm because there are hoodlums hanging around the laundry down the street. The access card systems to the outside gate dont work sometimes, so you have walk to the main entrance which is a hassle if you have to park far away. They have visitor parking, but you have to pay for it. Its ridiculous. 30 minutes is free, 1 hour is $2, 2 hours is $6, 3-5 hours is $10, etc. Too expensive. And get this, to pay for the visitor parking, you have to cross the street and use the payment center. You park on one side, and you cross Seagirt Blvd to pay for visitor parking. There is plenty of space for more free parking inside the complex, but you are not allowed to park there because of the white lines. They will tow your car, and its $150 to get it back. The security guards get $50 kickback from the towing company for each car they tow, so they always walk around and try to catch the illegal parkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City