Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 12:40 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,399 times

Advertisements

Pursuit of happiness is one of the basic fundamentals to living.

I have been to Miami, Charlotte, Atlanta, Delaware, Los Angeles, and New York.

New York still represents the story of the great gatsby. In which someone of poor social class and wealth can climb quickly. Which is part of the reason I ended up settling here.

No place is perfect, you just need to find the best place that suits you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 06:36 AM

175 posts, read 134,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post

New York still represents the story of the great gatsby. In which someone of poor social class and wealth can climb quickly. Which is part of the reason I ended up settling here.

oh please spare me that stupid story! thats the foolish dream a lot of New Yorkers put in the minds of others, most of the people living in this city are stuggling beyond belief.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:31 PM

146 posts, read 190,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westindianguy View Post
oh please spare me that stupid story! thats the foolish dream a lot of New Yorkers put in the minds of others, most of the people living in this city are stuggling beyond belief.
Struggling down south too.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:08 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:

At the end of Great Gatsby Nick moved back out West, he was done with NYC. He figured that their was something wrong with the city.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:31 AM

355 posts, read 390,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
everyone that i know that has always wanted to leave NYC, when they do it, they come back or want to come back...
Yes so so true. Look at all the city's and Suburban area's where the population exploded and the economy's are flourishing due to transplants. Now they are ghost towns going bankrupt because everyone has moved back to where they originated from.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:41 AM

2,024 posts, read 1,314,638 times
Quote:

Didn't Gatsby get shot in the end after the girl of his dreams dumped him? I'm not sure why that would attract anyone ...

Old 02-08-2015, 09:55 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westindianguy View Post
Most of the people in the nation are struggling as well.

Don't tell me you drank the kool aid that there's no poverty in the South or West?

Old 02-08-2015, 10:08 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
At the end of Great Gatsby Nick moved back out West, he was done with NYC. He figured that their was something wrong with the city.
Haha I know it ironic, part of me thinks that too. Something is wrong with this city and how do you define the american dream in the current century. It doesn't take long to realize greed and materialism has run wild in the city.

For example the below:
The Hunt Nears Self-Parody as Couple Buys in Williamsburg - It Happened One Weekend - Curbed NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
Didn't Gatsby get shot in the end after the girl of his dreams dumped him? I'm not sure why that would attract anyone ...
I was not referring to myself as Gatsby himself, but rather Nick who is the one who observes the craziness of the 1920's and coming to the big city.

The below big theme in bold is what I am referring to, which can still be applicable today.

Quote:
On the surface, The Great Gatsby is a story of the thwarted love between a man and a woman. The main theme of the novel, however, encompasses a much larger, less romantic scope. Though all of its action takes place over a mere few months during the summer of 1922 and is set in a circumscribed geographical area in the vicinity of Long Island, New York, The Great Gatsby is a highly symbolic meditation on 1920s America as a whole, in particular the disintegration of the American dream in an era of unprecedented prosperity and material excess.

Fitzgerald portrays the 1920s as an era of decayed social and moral values, evidenced in its overarching cynicism, greed, and empty pursuit of pleasure. The reckless jubilance that led to decadent parties and wild jazz music—epitomized in The Great Gatsby by the opulent parties that Gatsby throws every Saturday night—resulted ultimately in the corruption of the American dream, as the unrestrained desire for money and pleasure surpassed more noble goals.

One of the major topics explored in The Great Gatsby is the sociology of wealth, specifically, how the newly minted millionaires of the 1920s differ from and relate to the old aristocracy of the country’s richest families. In the novel, West Egg and its denizens represent the newly rich, while East Egg and its denizens, especially Daisy and Tom, represent the old aristocracy. Fitzgerald portrays the newly rich as being vulgar, gaudy, ostentatious, and lacking in social graces and taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City