Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 04:05 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomitillo26 View Post
I live on the "rock" and I will say that Graniteville on the southside of the SIE is a good middle class neighborhood. When you go past the SIE northbound it does get sketchy. Forest and Richmond Avenue area is a dump and the Shop Rite shopping center is not the nicest. The area is changing demographically too and is lower middle class with a lot of rental properties on that end. Now I'm not saying that these are bad people but the area is not as good as it once was. That is true of the "rock" as a whole. The streets behind the 121 pct have quite a few abandoned homes for some weird reason.
South of the SIE on the other side of Graniteville is Bulls Head.

BH stretches down to New Springville going south and the northern border runs along the SIE/Victory Blvd to Willowbrook Road until you get to Westerleigh.

These towns predate the expressway but the SIE is a good marker.

Forest and Richmond Avenues near Baron Hirsch used to be mostly woodland/open space. They've built up so much cheap housing that has attracted the worse it seems. That as elsewhere is what is killing SI.

Same old story; they keep building those horrible townhouses to make things "affordable" and get the most bang out of the land. Richmond Avenue from Forest going towards Victory where wasn't empty fields or the cemetery had nice one family homes on decent sized lots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 11:02 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,306,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
South of the SIE on the other side of Graniteville is Bulls Head.

BH stretches down to New Springville going south and the northern border runs along the SIE/Victory Blvd to Willowbrook Road until you get to Westerleigh.

These towns predate the expressway but the SIE is a good marker.

Forest and Richmond Avenues near Baron Hirsch used to be mostly woodland/open space. They've built up so much cheap housing that has attracted the worse it seems. That as elsewhere is what is killing SI.

Same old story; they keep building those horrible townhouses to make things "affordable" and get the most bang out of the land. Richmond Avenue from Forest going towards Victory where wasn't empty fields or the cemetery had nice one family homes on decent sized lots.
It's just a weird vibe over there. That Townhouse development is just to big and not enough perking. I have found that many of those large town house communities tend to have a weird vibe. This holds true for the Greens as well that encompass a large area from Arden ave, down to Arthur Kill rd and Huguenot ave. They have do many residents and such a lack of parking that the area is tense and of you get a small percentage of people living there that don't give a crap about how they live it ruins the entire area, and in developments that big you have have a bunch of people that live like that.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
It's just a weird vibe over there. That Townhouse development is just to big and not enough perking. I have found that many of those large town house communities tend to have a weird vibe. This holds true for the Greens as well that encompass a large area from Arden ave, down to Arthur Kill rd and Huguenot ave. They have do many residents and such a lack of parking that the area is tense and of you get a small percentage of people living there that don't give a crap about how they live it ruins the entire area, and in developments that big you have have a bunch of people that live like that.
Two words; Savo Brothers.

I'll say no more.....

Old 02-01-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Two words; Savo Brothers.

I'll say no more.....
They weren't the only ones. They just happen to be more known than the others.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:50 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Real Madrid. Nuff said! *LOL*
Yup. LOL

Quote:
Near is a relative term. Technically the Goethals bridge on the SI side is in Bloomfield. The other close area would be Mariners Harbor. Graniteville is bounded by South Avenue at its most western border. Yes, while it is close you still aren't living right underneath or whatever under the bridge like those living in MH are for the Bayonne Bridge.
The Bayonne Bridge is entirely in Elm Park, not Mariners Harbor. (On a side note, Port Richmond High School is technically in Elm Park as well). I would consider Elm Park to be the area from roughly Lake Avenue up to Nicholas Avenue, with the areas to the east and west being Port Richmond & Mariners Harbor respectively.

Quote:
I don't want to insult anyone fro that side of the Island, however once you drive past the SIEXPWY on Richmond ave it starts to get sketchy. Once you cross Forrest ave it goes down hill fast. The OP should stay on east side of the SIXW, or at least avoid the area of Forrest and Goethals bride to the Terrace up until the old JC Penny's.
Depends where along Forest Avenue you are. For example, along Morningstar Road up to Walker Street, it's still fairly nice.

Quote:
Graniteville ends at Forest Avenue. North of Forest Ave is Mariners Harbor as is west of South Avenue in parts. The other as said previously is Bloomfield.
I wouldn't really consider west of South to be Mariners Harbor. North of the tracks is Arlington, whereas south of the tracks (where the Home Depot is) would be Old Place. (Though really, it's not much of a "neighborhood"). Technically, Old Place extends all the way up to the north side of the Goethals Bridge (not that it really matters, because nobody lives that far west except for the people in that trailer park).

Old 02-02-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Yup. LOL

The Bayonne Bridge is entirely in Elm Park, not Mariners Harbor. (On a side note, Port Richmond High School is technically in Elm Park as well). I would consider Elm Park to be the area from roughly Lake Avenue up to Nicholas Avenue, with the areas to the east and west being Port Richmond & Mariners Harbor respectively.

Depends where along Forest Avenue you are. For example, along Morningstar Road up to Walker Street, it's still fairly nice.

I wouldn't really consider west of South to be Mariners Harbor. North of the tracks is Arlington, whereas south of the tracks (where the Home Depot is) would be Old Place. (Though really, it's not much of a "neighborhood"). Technically, Old Place extends all the way up to the north side of the Goethals Bridge (not that it really matters, because nobody lives that far west except for the people in that trailer park).

Have always lumped "Elm Park" into MH, don't know why but you are correct.

Old Place is a new one on me! *LOL* Never even knew about that trailer park until missed the on ramp for the GB (don't ask) and had to loop around.

Area from Morningstar Road going over to Van Name/West Shore Little League used to very old school Italian, Irish and other "European" back in the day.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Have always lumped "Elm Park" into MH, don't know why but you are correct.

Old Place is a new one on me! *LOL* Never even knew about that trailer park until missed the on ramp for the GB (don't ask) and had to loop around.

Area from Morningstar Road going over to Van Name/West Shore Little League used to very old school Italian, Irish and other "European" back in the day
It was real old school over there for some time. Not so much now. When I drove circa 1980's Cadillac's there was a Mechanic named Ronnie who was retired from Crest Cadillac and worked out of his garage on Van Nam st. His house was right before the bridge. Great guy. Great mechanic.

This was 20 some years ago and the neighborhood was just starting to really go down as the old timers started packing it in one by one.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:43 PM

10 posts, read 15,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynTurk View Post
Good neighborhood? Rich? Middle class? Poor? Safe? Bad? How is it? All I know is that it's near the Goethals bridge.
Back in the '80s, the part of Graniteville west of Richmond Avenue was home to a bunch of drug addicts. Today, a few of my childhood friends live in the area. It seems that Graniteville is a middle class suburb. It is also very diverse and multiethnic. A few schools and parks in the area, as well as shopping centers and a few businesses along Richmond Avenue.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:45 PM

10 posts, read 15,002 times
Quote:
It was real old school over there for some time. Not so much now. When I drove circa 1980's Cadillac's there was a Mechanic named Ronnie who was retired from Crest Cadillac and worked out of his garage on Van Nam st. His house was right before the bridge. Great guy. Great mechanic.

This was 20 some years ago and the neighborhood was just starting to really go down as the old timers started packing it in one by one.
Hey! I grew up in Mariner's Harbor also! When I grew up there, it was much more diverse than it is now!

Old 02-27-2015, 08:31 PM

432 posts, read 551,319 times
I'd avoid any part of SI with abundant townhouses. they are destroying a once beautiful place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City