Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 12:18 PM

6 posts, read 11,001 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Temescal, Oakland, CA and are relocating to NYC. I have been a few times, and we will visit before picking a place but really need help narrowing the search down to 1 or 2 neighborhoods. We have 2 preschool age kids who already share a bedroom, and we are looking for a 2 bedroom condo, nothing fancy. Would prefer in Manhattan or Brooklyn, will consider Queens with fast commute and the right neighborhood.

Things we are looking for:
- Transportation. Don't want to own a car, want close subway, and we want to bike and walk loads
- Safe. I go running at 5am every morning and our family is always outside. We want to be part of a strong community.
- Diverse. I don't want to live with just white people.
- Stuff to do! We are really into urban agriculture and community gardens. Love small cafes and friendly small businesses. (That said, I am wary of the hipsters and gentrification of Williamsburg etc)
- Decent schools. Definitely not going the private school route. As long as it meets standards, it will be great.
- Commute. I've accepted a very exciting job in Midtown and my partner will be working at Columbia U. Would prefer a commute less than 30 mins via subway.
- We love running, biking, roller blading, music festivals, etc. We do not intend to spend much time inside. We're going to be living in NYC for goodness sake!
- We are ***** and are very into the LGBT scene, and we are ardent environmentalists. Our current place has solar panels and a greywater system so something with lots of green minded people is a plus
- We have a dog. She is very well behaved and 35 lbs.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by rosemc; 01-31-2015 at 12:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 12:26 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,207,841 times
No one can answer you without knowing your budget first.

Old 01-31-2015, 12:30 PM

664 posts, read 807,220 times
Ditto.

Numbers please?

Old 01-31-2015, 12:32 PM

We are pretty comfortable financially but would love to be able to save. Between 2.5k and 3.5 is probably what we can manage, although if we could do less that would be great of course

Old 01-31-2015, 12:53 PM

When you say "condo", I assume you're talking about buying.

But now when you say "between 2.5k and 3.5" that suggests you're looking for a rental.

In either case, you likely will not find a two bedroom apartment that meets ANY of your criteria in Manhattan, and very little, frankly, in Brooklyn without living at least an hour away by subway to Manhattan.

What you're looking for would cost closer to $5,000/month.

Either boost your budget, or be willing to compromise on:

-- commute
-- schools
-- size of apartment (one bedroom if you're lucky)
-- neighborhood safety

I'd strongly suggest you consider Jersey City or Weehawken. You MIGHT find some deals up in Washington Heights or Inwood (which would be super convenient to your partner's job at Columbia University). But aside from a couple notable exceptions, the schools are well below par.

Last edited by NYCTelevisionWriter; 01-31-2015 at 01:01 PM..

Old 01-31-2015, 01:02 PM

Yeah, let me clarify. We would prefer to buy a condo with monthlies around that range but are also open to renting at that range.

If we compromise on schools and commute, are there any possibilities you could suggest?

Old 01-31-2015, 01:19 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,156 times
Upper West side

Old 01-31-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemc View Post
Yeah, let me clarify. We would prefer to buy a condo with monthlies around that range but are also open to renting at that range.
How much do you have for a down payment?

Old 01-31-2015, 02:13 PM

21 posts, read 30,444 times
Adventurous? Brownsville, Brooklyn. Lots of adventures in store for you.

Old 01-31-2015, 02:39 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,478 times
In Brooklyn look at Prospect Heights -- but don't expect much from the public schools yet. It's safe enough for a family or late-night subway walks home.

Commute using the 2 or 3 from Grand Army Plaza or Brooklyn Museum/Eastern Parkway stations.. or use the B, Q on Flatbush Ave @ 7th. Using the number trains, if you switch from an express to a local #1 train at 96th St. for the last piece to Columbia U, that might stay within your 30 min, but honestly I think you'll have to learn to get used to 40-45. I hate when people underestimate commute times to out-of-towners.

Prospect Park offers nice park/biking/dog heaven in a park designed by Frederick Law Olmsted (same guy as Central Park). There's a weekly summer Farmers market at Grand Army Plaza. Well-integrated neighborhood. Brooklyn Botanical Gardens has a children's section with offerings.

Not as expensive as Park Slope housing. You can join the Park Slope food coop.

Plenty of yoga, green-smoothie, etc places up and down Flatbush around Prospect Pl, Sterling, Underhill etc. but it's not an unnatural hipster type neighborhood at all.

Practically speaking, look at some "big box" older elevator buildings for condos, perhaps more likely than inside brownstones. Brownstones make neighborhood walks attractive, but you don't have to live inside them to enjoy the look.

Your smartest design compromise would be to accept the smallest possible "2nd Bedroom" imaginable. Use bunk beds; rotate the kids' toys to maintain interest in them using small storage solutions such as those in The Container Store. Kids here don't have the kinds of bedroom sq. footage as in California, but family trips to museums, neighborhood "pocket" or large city parks compensate.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 01-31-2015 at 03:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City