Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 07:54 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by q41apartments View Post
I've always lived in rent stablized buildings, but when the increase is 8% that is just a bit over the top.

The 1% year increase for this year is awesome.
My last increases were 25%, then the year after 26.5%.
I was paying your portion of rent increases to the landlord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 08:06 PM

913 posts, read 2,272,746 times
I'm not sure what you mean by that comment.

That is unfortunate you don't live in a rent stablized building. I'm not sure how landlords decide whether they want their apartments to be rent stablized or not. There are tons of luxury high rise buildings charging 3K for a 1 bedroom and it's rent stablized.

Not sure why you're landlord being greedy and charging you that % increase has anything to do with me. It's your buildings owner that makes these decisions. It has nothing to do with anybody else.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:17 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:

That is unfortunate you don't live in a rent stablized building. I'm not sure how landlords decide whether they want their apartments to be rent stablized or not. There are tons of luxury high rise buildings charging 3K for a 1 bedroom and it's rent stablized.

Not sure why you're landlord being greedy and charging you that % increase has anything to do with me. It's your buildings owner that makes these decisions. It has nothing to do with anybody else.
NYC Rent Guidelines Board

"What happens when the rent for my stabilized apartment rises above $2,500?

An apartment will remain rent stabilized even if the rent rises above $2,500 while a tenant remains in occupancy and household income is less than $200,000 for the two previous years. However, as the rent reaches $2,500 or more, the owner has a right to petition the NY State Division of Housing and Community Renewal to deregulate the apartment. Complete information on this can be found in the Decontrol/Destabilization FAQ section."

Old 02-03-2015, 01:57 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,790,719 times
even new apartments can still be stabilised.

he rent on my new apartment is over $2,500 - Can it be stabilized?

The building may in fact be rent stabilized, even though the rent exceeds $2,500.

In newly constructed or completely rebuilt buildings, many developers take advantage of the City's 421a and J-51 tax exemption programs. In return for the tax exemption, the developer/owner of the building must maintain the units under rent stabilization for the period of the tax exemption, which usually runs 10 to 20 years. More information is available in the 421a/J-51 FAQ section. In the case of new construction, the fact that the rent is over $2,500 does not affect the apartment's stabilization status.

An apartment may also remain rent stabilized even if the rent rises above $2,500 while a tenant remains in occupancy. However, when that occurs, the owner has a right to petition the NY State Division of Housing and Community Renewal to deregulate the apartment. More information on this can be found in the Decontrol/Destabilization FAQ section.

Ask the owner if the building is rent stabilized. You may also contact the New York State Division of Housing and Community Renewal, the agency which administers the rent laws, and ask them if it is, or should be rent stabilized.

If the building is rent stabilized, all of your renewal leases are governed by the lease renewal percentages enacted yearly by the Rent Guidelines Board. See here for current guidelines. If your unit is not stabilized, then there are no limits on increases your landlord can charge when the lease expires.

Top | Main FAQ Menu

What happens when the rent for my stabilized apartment rises above $2,500?

An apartment will remain rent stabilized even if the rent rises above $2,500 while a tenant remains in occupancy and household income is less than $200,000 for the two previous years. However, as the rent reaches $2,500 or more, the owner has a right to petition the NY State Division of Housing and Community Renewal to deregulate the apartment. Complete information on this can be found in the Decontrol/Destabilization FAQ section.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:52 AM

110 posts, read 218,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
NYC rent stabilization: a battle looms - am New York
Moving to new york this summer and doing some more reading about rent controlled apartments. But it looks like its going to get pretty nasty here. m just wondering what one does if their rent is raised? and if anyone has experienced this
i wish it was effecting me...I would love to have a rent stabilized apartment!

Old 02-03-2015, 11:43 AM

It is good and bad. After 35 years we still have the same kitchen and bathroom.

Rent is almost market too. Had we been a market rate apartment we would have been renovated a few times already.

Rent we pay isn't much less then the apartments that are non stabilized in our building and renovated.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:24 PM

913 posts, read 2,272,746 times
There are tons of luxury high rise condos in Long Island City that charge $2,800.00 to $3,400.00 for a 1 bedroom and those are all rent stablized so not sure what that other person was yakking about making it seem like his increase offset my low increase. As if those prices aren't high enough, but at least they are rent stablized.

I think buildings elect with NYC Housing whether they want their building to be rent stablized or not to regulate how increases go and to detour excessive rate jumps unnecessarily. Shame on you for being in a building that isn't rent stablized. You can always move and find one that is.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:47 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,907 times
Quote:

Anything under market rate implies... Subsidized living.
look it up.

My landlord may have been "greedy" but yours is legally required to stabilize rent, for... Guess what, tax credits and breaks. Less taxes from your landlord means more taxes for the general populous.

Housing is not a charity market.
Some people in your building are paying more than you are, that's subsidizing your rent. Without regulation, you'd be out

Old 02-03-2015, 03:31 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,750,584 times
Actually the other tenants in the building are not subsidizing the rent of Rent Stabilized/controlled tenants. The landlord can only charge as much as the market will bear, thus if the market is willing to pay $3,000 for an apartment, but no more, the landlord will charge the $3,000. If half the apartments in the building are stabilized apartments renting for $2,000 each,the landlord does not add on the lost $1,000 to the market rate apartments and thus charge them $4,000 each to make up for the shortfall as then no one would rent those market rate apartments.

The way subsidized apartments do raise rent for others is by decreasing market supply and increasing demand at the same time, thus manipulating what the market is willing to pay for a market rate apartment.

A landlord cannot be "greedy" and simply up rentto whatever they want. They can only charge as much as the market is willing to pay. If they do try to charge more, no one will rent out the unit!

Old 02-03-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Anything under market rate implies... Subsidized living.
look it up.

My landlord may have been "greedy" but yours is legally required to stabilize rent, for... Guess what, tax credits and breaks. Less taxes from your landlord means more taxes for the general populous.

Housing is not a charity market.
Some people in your building are paying more than you are, that's subsidizing your rent. Without regulation, you'd be out
nah , other folks are just paying the going rate.

it is like saying if you get market returns on an s&p fund it makes up for your loses elsewhere . no it just pulls the returns you should have had down if you didn't have the laggards..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: