Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 11:50 AM

34,083 posts, read 47,278,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Seems like Sobroguy is getting to you. There is as much good in Mott Haven as there is in Brownsville.
At least Mott Haven is seeming some kind of gentrification (Bruckner Bar and Grill, Clock Tower). Brownsville is not seeing any, and probably never will.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
What's going on with Far Rockaway lately... One minute we're discussing it's one of the worst if not the worst areas in Queens and now a month later channel 7 and other articles are labeling it the next hotspot that has done a 180 turnaround... Can we find a middle ground here... Is there truth to the rumors? Has Far Rock become desirable? Are there small patches of good in a majority of bad like Bushwick and Mott Haven? Just curious...
It's slowly getting better....new homes being built and new businesses moving in. Still bad out there, but nowhere on the level it was when I was a kid, or even 10 years ago. A good point to make, and SobroGuy brings this up a lot, is that if you're not involved in the criminal element or do things to make you noticeable in the street such as wearing expensive jewelry or using some expensive device late at night on the street, you're fine. I live in the worst part of Rockaway and I still go to the store at 2 AM with no problem.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:48 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,128 times
@ seventh floor I agree... Supermario just wants to convince everyone that he lives in the big bad hood of the Bronx and that he lives in the worst area in the country... I wish he would consider moving to Brownsville close to where I lived at for years... You want to talk about hellholes... I don't doubt Mott Haven's bad but at least you hear some things about the changes and not necessarily equating white people with less crime but the fact that transplants are deciding to move there and that one census tract based on a previous thread showed 24% white indicates to me that there is development and revitalization going on over there... As seventh floor already stated... NO ONE WANTS TO MOVE TO BROWNSVILLE... That is as bad as it gets... It doesn't even come up on the news with all the crime and murders that happen year after year...

Old 07-07-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
@ seventh floor I agree... Supermario just wants to convince everyone that he lives in the big bad hood of the Bronx and that he lives in the worst area in the country... I wish he would consider moving to Brownsville close to where I lived at for years... You want to talk about hellholes... I don't doubt Mott Haven's bad but at least you hear some things about the changes and not necessarily equating white people with less crime but the fact that transplants are deciding to move there and that one census tract based on a previous thread showed 24% white indicates to me that there is development and revitalization going on over there... As seventh floor already stated... NO ONE WANTS TO MOVE TO BROWNSVILLE... That is as bad as it gets... It doesn't even come up on the news with all the crime and murders that happen year after year...
Exactly. Let's not even worry about people wanting to move to Brownsville or not. A more profound statement is that nobody is commercially investing in Brownsville. But they're commercialy investing in Mott Haven....they're commercially investing in the Rockaways...that means that there's a market.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:20 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Quote:
LOL you are a little slow in the head. Now I live in Mott Haven? If you notice, I always come to the defense of my hood when someone mentions it among the very worst. The only areas I tout as the worst are the southern Bronx (I live in the west genius), and I have the stats to back it up. You're just upset that my hood craps on your little suburban wannabe ghetto hood.

@ Seventh, I would like to see any of those new developments in Mott Haven proper. People are investing in Port Morris, which I do not consider Mott Haven. It may seem like Mott Haven/Southern Bronx are gentrifying due to all the developments they are building, but if you look deeper you would realize that this is all catering to the working class not the rich. Also remember that while Brownsville had it's fair share of vacant lots, the southern Bronx was basically a wasteland so you had more opportunity and lots/space to build on.

Mott Haven with less the population of Brownsville has basically the same number of homicides. Stop drinking this Brownsville kool-aid. It is bad, but stop acting like nothing in the city compares to it because when you take quality of life factors into account (Income, Asthma rates etc), Mott Haven is worse.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:29 PM

spoken like a true teenager... I'm really ashamed that my hood doesn't compete with yours... It's my biggest regret in life that I was able to move out of my hood to live in a decent working class neighborhood... please grow up a little and then return to this thread... No one is denying Mott Haven is bad... if you would learn how to read, I said between the two Brownsville probably is worse overall because of lack of investment... Btw, what is the sq.mile radius of Mott Haven... Brownsvilles is 1 sq.mile... So what that means is that they basically stuck all the projects they could think of in that tiny little area as a breeding ground for crime which has been a wreck since the late 19th century early 20th century (do your research) and has continued its tradition...

Please wake up and realize that nobody is competing with you... you are the only one on here trying to hype up crime... I wonder if youd feel the same if it was you losing the people you cared about... I've lost too many friends in my old neighborhood to count and was tired of doing so, so I moved... thankfully here theres a far lower chance of me losing my friends and people I care about to gun violence than where I used to live...

Finally read what I said carefully... comprehension is key here... I said "he just wants to convince everyone he lives in the big bad hood of the Bronx"... no where did I say you lived in Mott Haven... you've been pretty clear where you live at many times and unlike you I can read and comprehend... We were talking about Mott Haven which is the only why I brought it up...

Old 07-07-2011, 10:49 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Quote:
spoken like a true teenager... I'm really ashamed that my hood doesn't compete with yours... It's my biggest regret in life that I was able to move out of my hood to live in a decent working class neighborhood... please grow up a little and then return to this thread... No one is denying Mott Haven is bad... if you would learn how to read, I said between the two Brownsville probably is worse overall because of lack of investment... Btw, what is the sq.mile radius of Mott Haven... Brownsvilles is 1 sq.mile... So what that means is that they basically stuck all the projects they could think of in that tiny little area as a breeding ground for crime which has been a wreck since the late 19th century early 20th century (do your research) and has continued its tradition...
And yet I confused you for being the teenager . What are you like 45 and you spend the entire day talking about crime in the city and how your crime senses tingle? Do something more productive with your life.

You sound like Seventh now. Forget about the sq miles. If that is the case, then the 46th precinct is easily the worst in every aspect of crime in the entire history of this city. If you have an area in which there are 20 people and one in which there are 14, the area with 20 can accumulate more homicides just for the fact that there are more potential homicide victims. Given the same number of homicides (and even a few less) you are more likely to end up dead in the 14 area than the 20. If you can comprehend this (I doubt you can), then you'd realize that the 14 is worst than the 20. What does square miles have to do with anything? Wow, more concentrated crime, it does not make it more dangerous.

Quote:
Please wake up and realize that nobody is competing with you... you are the only one on here trying to hype up crime... I wonder if youd feel the same if it was you losing the people you cared about... I've lost too many friends in my old neighborhood to count and was tired of doing so, so I moved... thankfully here theres a far lower chance of me losing my friends and people I care about to gun violence than where I used to live...
LOL you are delusional. I'm not the one spending the entire day arguing with Sobroguy with every slight increase in crime. You are a very negative and sad person. I laugh at all your walls of text. Also, save your sob story for someone who actually cares.

Quote:
Finally read what I said carefully... comprehension is key here... I said "he just wants to convince everyone he lives in the big bad hood of the Bronx"... no where did I say you lived in Mott Haven... you've been pretty clear where you live at many times and unlike you I can read and comprehend... We were talking about Mott Haven which is the only why I brought it up...
Maybe you should learn how to write. It's crazy that there are actually teachers like you. If I want to convince everyone that I live in the big bad hood of the Bronx, then since we're talking about Mott Haven, and I'm touting it as the worst, your insinuating that I live there. You do know that hood is short for neighborhood right? Next time write big bad borough of the Bronx, maybe then I can take you seriously.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:18 PM

you got me man... I'm just a sad individual who dedicates all his time to city-data... btw, you came in about a year before me right... look at how much I outnumber you in posts... I really do spend all my time on here, don't I? But you're right... I'll just continue living my sad, safe, boring, fulfilling lifestyle where I will continue teaching children such as yourself about academics as well as overcoming life's obstacles... Btw, check out the schools I've worked at and look at the progress each school has made in thier academics as well as character of students... Thankfully I was able to be a part of that in my sad and negative life... You had me pegged perfectly...

SEEMA program at York College
John Adams High School ESL Math Classes
I.S.93 7th and 8th Grade students bilingual and SP along with integrated classrooms with district 75 students

Old 07-08-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
@ Seventh, I would like to see any of those new developments in Mott Haven proper. People are investing in Port Morris, which I do not consider Mott Haven. It may seem like Mott Haven/Southern Bronx are gentrifying due to all the developments they are building, but if you look deeper you would realize that this is all catering to the working class not the rich
Straight from Merriam-Webster:

Definition of GENTRIFICATION
: the process of renewal and rebuilding accompanying the influx of middle-class or affluent people into deteriorating areas that often displaces poorer residents

Old 07-09-2011, 06:54 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
And yet I confused you for being the teenager . What are you like 45 and you spend the entire day talking about crime in the city and how your crime senses tingle? Do something more productive with your life.

You sound like Seventh now. Forget about the sq miles. If that is the case, then the 46th precinct is easily the worst in every aspect of crime in the entire history of this city. If you have an area in which there are 20 people and one in which there are 14, the area with 20 can accumulate more homicides just for the fact that there are more potential homicide victims. Given the same number of homicides (and even a few less) you are more likely to end up dead in the 14 area than the 20. If you can comprehend this (I doubt you can), then you'd realize that the 14 is worst than the 20. What does square miles have to do with anything? Wow, more concentrated crime, it does not make it more dangerous.

LOL you are delusional. I'm not the one spending the entire day arguing with Sobroguy with every slight increase in crime. You are a very negative and sad person. I laugh at all your walls of text. Also, save your sob story for someone who actually cares.

Maybe you should learn how to write. It's crazy that there are actually teachers like you. If I want to convince everyone that I live in the big bad hood of the Bronx, then since we're talking about Mott Haven, and I'm touting it as the worst, your insinuating that I live there. You do know that hood is short for neighborhood right? Next time write big bad borough of the Bronx, maybe then I can take you seriously.
I see more and more white folks every other day shopping at pioneer around my way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City