Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 04:19 PM

3 posts, read 3,543 times

Advertisements

I moved here just a month ago for a summer program. I dress pretty casually and don't really look like a tourist (it's pretty easy to identify them anyway and I'm usually alone). On multiple occasions I've had people ask me "are you from New York/NJ?".

Once was at Union Sq where this man was so verbally aggressive and really wanted to know whether I'm from around here. I'd ignore him and he'd say something like "do you not talk to people? do you not say hi to people?" and just kept getting in my face until I was at the end of the block.

Today, a woman outside of a store handing out samples asked whether I wanted one which I politely declined. Then she asked the same thing but by then I'd already walked off.

Is it because I'm not aware I look like a tourist? What do they want? How do I get them to stop?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 04:22 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,834,136 times
I'd relax, it's simply a conversation starter for people who want something to you.

Bums ask me for cigarettes all the time. I'm not worried its bc I look like a smoker

Old 07-13-2014, 04:26 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
I wish you had told us more examples. I think maybe what you should be doing is responding, "Why do you ask?" In some stores they give discounts to tourists - maybe that's what the woman was getting ready to do.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:29 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,580,539 times
Some stores do give discounts. Like at Macy's if you go to customer service and show your passport you can get coupons.

I don't know why anyone else would give a crap or bother to ask.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:30 PM

Haha, alright thanks. I've only lived in small cities on the west coast and not used to a lot of solicitations. Next time I'll just say no and walk away.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:11 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Yeah, I think it's just a conversation starter to engage you so that they can then sell you something or hassle you. They probably do it to everyone. I once had a normal looking woman walk up to me in Grand Central Terminal who commented that she loved my hair, and where did I get it done. No sooner did I say thank you and start to tell her about my hairdresser did she launch into her sales pitch, which had something to do with salon services.

Last week in a parking lot I had a woman walk up to me telling me that she sensed something about me and I should have my psychic reading done (and guess who would be happy to charge me to do it). I just pretended I didn't speak English. Even in my gym I had the guy who works there come over and ask how my workouts are going and when I started to answer, he launched into how I should have a free training session (and guess what, free means you have to listen to the sales pitch to get you to sign up for 8 sessions for $800)

I suppose asking you where you're from, if you answer in English, means you can't pull the "I don't speak English" thing later when they try to sell you something.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post

Last week in a parking lot I had a woman walk up to me telling me that she sensed something about me and I should have my psychic reading done (and guess who would be happy to charge me to do it).
No way! That happened to me yesterday in Nolita! I stood off to the side of the sidewalk and was using my phone when this lady came up to me and said "I sense great energy from you, and I don't usually stop people like this on the streets..." But she did, so I just excused myself out of there.

I guess I'm making a big deal out of this because it's all so new and uncomfortable for me. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Old 07-13-2014, 06:20 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,752,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notfromnewyork View Post
I moved here just a month ago for a summer program. I dress pretty casually and don't really look like a tourist (it's pretty easy to identify them anyway and I'm usually alone). On multiple occasions I've had people ask me "are you from New York/NJ?".

Once was at Union Sq where this man was so verbally aggressive and really wanted to know whether I'm from around here. I'd ignore him and he'd say something like "do you not talk to people? do you not say hi to people?" and just kept getting in my face until I was at the end of the block.

Today, a woman outside of a store handing out samples asked whether I wanted one which I politely declined. Then she asked the same thing but by then I'd already walked off.

Is it because I'm not aware I look like a tourist? What do they want? How do I get them to stop?

Thanks.
Just give yourself a year or so of being a NYer, it will take that long, possibly less to sufficiently toughen you up to handle any person or situation. The down side being that if or when you move to civilization it will take time to acclimate yourself to it.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:24 PM

14 posts, read 18,982 times
I just keep my headphones on and act like I didn't even hear them and keep walking LOL.

If anyone ever wants to know if we have real mental,illneses in this city, one needs only to walk down 42nd street

Old 07-13-2014, 10:08 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notfromnewyork View Post
How do I get them to stop?
Say or nod "yes" and walk away. After all, you've been here a month. And don't continue to converse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: