Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2015, 08:50 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,618,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
This is not disgusting. I am sure knowing what happened you'd jump out of the car but if you sat in the car instead of him when it DID happen probably you'd do the same. I'd have done the same probably as it happens so quick.
Absolutely, I'd probably have done the same thing and I'll tell you something I would have run to help people on the train after the impact but before as the train is barrelling down towards that SUV I am not going anywhere near that idiot because I'd be just as dead as she was
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 09:33 AM

Pretty crazy - they released today that there was actually 5 whole 80-foot rail segments that pierced through that front car one after the other. One segment made it into the second car's roof

http://i61.tinypic.com/rh79l3.jpg

Last edited by bmwguydc; 02-05-2015 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: Post only your own images, link to others

Old 02-05-2015, 09:43 AM

88,060 posts, read 83,928,707 times
Was reading more of the interview with Rick Hope. He was saying it was surreal, first watching the woman get back in her car, waiting while she apparently fastened her seat belt, then expecting her to back up and instead watched her go forward and then BAM, she disappears as the train comes in, then the train comes to a stop and he is looking through the train windows at the people in the cars at the back of the train who have no idea what just happened, looking at their phones and reading their newspapers.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
waiting while she apparently fastened her seat belt
that makes sense, safety first after all!

Old 02-05-2015, 10:07 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,515,582 times
Female Mercedes SUV driver.. thats all I need to know to find out who's at blame. No need for fancy federal high tech investigations.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:15 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,411,900 times
So has anyone sued the dead women yet?

Old 02-05-2015, 10:18 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,411,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
This is the account of the driver who was behind her :http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/05/ny...T.nav=top-news

" Rick Hope, who was in the car directly behind Ms. Brody’s Mercedes S.U.V., said her car was stopped on the road just before the tracks but in front of the crossing arm. He watched as the red lights began to flash, warning bells rang and the crossing arm came down on the back of her car.

“As soon as I see the gate go down, I back up,” Mr. Hope said outside his Yorktown Heights home on Wednesday evening. “I say, ‘She’s going to back up as soon as she sees what’s going on.'”

But instead, Ms. Brody calmly got out of her car. She walked around the back, pushed up against the guardrail, and found it wedged firmly in place.

Mr. Hope said he began to panic, knowing a train would plow through in seconds. He said he motioned with his hands at Ms. Brody to come toward him. Knowing his headlights were on, possibly blocking her from seeing him, he backed his car up more, thinking she might copy his behavior.

For a split second, he said, she looked at him. He thought she might walk away from the car.

“She looks at me, that’s the disturbing part,” he said. “I was waiting for her to say, ‘What do I do?’ That’s easy — come here!”

Instead she walked back to the driver’s seat and climbed in. There was a pause, as if she were buckling her seat belt.

“The thing’s dinging, red lights are flashing, it’s going off,” Mr. Hope said. “I just remember going, ‘Hurry up.’ I just knew she was going to back up — never in my wildest dreams did I think she’d go forward.”

She drove forward.

“It was just instantaneous,” he said. “She was gone.”

Aside from all the other weirdness attached to this incident, I find it disturbing that this guy evidently sat in his own car having a quiet conversation with himself about what was about to happen but at no time got out of his car to say anything to her. He "gestured to her with his hands to come towards him" He was waiting for her to ask him what to do ? . Really ? I would have jumped out of my car and dragged her away or at least rolled down the window and screamed "get F away from there,run for your life." Weird.
Talk about being detached. Eerily similar to all the people who stepped over the dead body in the West Side doorway the other day with nobody checking to see what was wrong with him or if they could help.

Rick Hope is an idiot. Blinding women with his lights and making hand gestures. He should be yelling top of lungs get the F-CK Off the Tracks Train Run whatever. Handsignals in the dark. Hope this guy gets sued.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:23 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,028,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Rick Hope is an idiot. Blinding women with his lights and making hand gestures. He should be yelling top of lungs get Off the Tracks Train Run whatever. Handsignals in the dark. Hope this guy gets sued.
What's idiotic is your post. He backed up to make room for her to back up. That's indication enough as to what he thought her action should be. Not to mention that he had no responsibility for her actions.

What are you going to sue him for? For sitting in a car while someone else in another car makes bad decisions and causes an accident? That's nice. I hope someone sues you the next time the driver one car over from you makes a stupid decision.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 02-05-2015 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 02-05-2015, 10:26 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,313,548 times
Didn't read the whole thread but it almost seems as though the SUV driver put the car in drive instead of reverse. From the diagram it is not logical to move forward, since the car wasn't even on the tracks. I originally thought the car was stuck on the tracks. Absolutely driver error but most accidents usually are.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:30 AM

13,437 posts, read 15,358,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
I agree.

Probably millions of cars go thru various crossings around the world. She had the opportunity to walk away as its serious once that gate comes down. They already confirmed that the train was not speeding and the crossings were working properly
Railroad crossings are a way of life all over the suburban and semi-rural areas of the country. The train wasn't speeding and the safety systems were in place. Ms. Brody was negligent, pure and simple. She is responsible for the death of not only herself but five other people. How in the world you could get out of your car and inspect it during a very serious, near fatal situation just blows my mind. She should not have been in the situation that she was in. She should have stopped and stayed before the arms went down. I can only guess that she was mentally impaired in some manner, or she was just another person who thought they could beat the train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City