Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 08:26 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times

Advertisements

At least 6 dead after Metro-North commuter train hits SUV near NYC - CBS News

VALHALLA, N.Y. -- At least six people were killed and a dozen injured when a Metro-North commuter train hit a vehicle during the Tuesday evening rush outside New York City, CBS New York reported.

The SUV was crossing at Commerce Street in Valhalla, in Westchester County, when it was struck by Harlem Line train No. 659 around 6:30 p.m., Metropolitan Transportation Authority spokeswoman Marjorie Anders told CBS Radio station WCBS 880 in New York. The train had left Grand Central Station at 5:45 p.m.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 08:38 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Awful.She must have been stuck on the tracks for another reason before the gates came down.The gates just don't come down fast enough to trap someone between them.It says she got out of the car and then got back in after the gates were down.Why? Crazy.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:57 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
this is very bad, gonna be more than 6 dead for sure

Old 02-03-2015, 09:02 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times
Awful. So sad.

I see the report that the driver got back into the vehicle - so are they one of the fatalities? I wonder why they would get in the car again, unless they really felt they could move the car off the tracks.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:04 PM

530 posts, read 666,847 times
They knew there was something wrong with that gate. They should have sent someone there to supervise, immediately. There's going to be a court case the size of Connecticut over this one.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:14 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
Awful. So sad.

I see the report that the driver got back into the vehicle - so are they one of the fatalities? I wonder why they would get in the car again, unless they really felt they could move the car off the tracks.
Yes, she is dead, and that's her burnt Cherokee you see smashed into the side of the train. The guy who was behind her saw her stop because the gate hit her car and she got out and looked at it, like she was checking for damage. Which makes no sense to do when you are on the tracks with gates down, lights flashing, and a train coming. He then backed up so she could back out off the tracks, and instead she got back in her car and drove forward, right into the train. They interviewed him by phone on ABC, and you can hear in his voice that he is shaken.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:20 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
They knew there was something wrong with that gate. They should have sent someone there to supervise, immediately. There's going to be a court case the size of Connecticut over this one.
Where are you getting information that there was something wrong with the gate? I have not heard that.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:25 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, she is dead, and that's her burnt Cherokee you see smashed into the side of the train. The guy who was behind her saw her stop because the gate hit her car and she got out and looked at it, like she was checking for damage. Which makes no sense to do when you are on the tracks with gates down, lights flashing, and a train coming. He then backed up so she could back out off the tracks, and instead she got back in her car and drove forward, right into the train. They interviewed him by phone on ABC, and you can hear in his voice that he is shaken.
I just heard that channel 7 report too, the guy parked behind the jeep saw everything happen and explained what he saw. Some dumbsh*t ignored the flashing lights and the barrier bonked the roof of her car. Instead of clearing the crossing, the woman GETS OUT OF HER CAR and inspects her precious paint job for any signs of damage. Mind you, the car is not on the tracks at this point.

She gets back into the car and DRIVES ONTO THE TRACKS and BLAM. This is Darwin at his finest except that in this case she killed at least 5 innocent people

Old 02-03-2015, 09:27 PM

530 posts, read 666,847 times
The minute I saw it on CD I googled it and read an article from one of the news outlets. It specifically said they knew there was a problem with the gate.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:38 PM

913 posts, read 2,272,326 times
I'm not to familiar with Metro North, but i wonder why the train didn't try to stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City