Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2008, 08:08 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times

Advertisements

Here's a new article about some recent grads from New Orleans who move to the city and what kinds of places they are living in order to spend less on rent

hint: the 'staying afloat' reference is to the guys who live on a houseboat off of Queens, a 7 minute canoe ride to Whitestone - for $800 total rent including propane. But they have cable tv and parties so I guess everything is ok.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/09/ny...l?ref=nyregion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 08:28 AM

68 posts, read 449,695 times
Now, why anyone would live on a boat when they can easily find a place in Mott Haven for $800, it boggles my mind.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:44 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,303,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc200 View Post
Now, why anyone would live on a boat when they can easily find a place in Mott Haven for $800, it boggles my mind.
Guywithacause, I submit this in a spirit of friendship. Really. It's just that the frequent Mott Haven promotion made me wonder if it was really, "guy with a cause to push real estate in Mott Haven." For some reason the Green Acres theme song came into my head and I took some liberties...

(Original lyrics here: Green Acres Lyrics - Green Acres - Theme Song Lyrics )

Mott Haven is the place to be.
Cheap livin' is the life for me.
Rooms spreadin' out for city blocks
Keep Manhattan, just give me that Southern Bronx.

New York* is where I'd rather dither.
Don’t want to cross the Harlem River.
I just adore a penthouse view.
Dah-ling I love you but give me Park Avenue.**

...The whores.***
...The stores.****
...6 train.*****
...Insane!

You are my wife.
Good bye, pricy life.
Mott Haven we are there.

* Reference to postal designation and county name, not the city or state, both of which include Mott Haven as an integral part.

** A street that does in fact run through Mott Haven as well as Manhattan.

*** Not as prevalent as in the days of Jonathan Kozol.

**** Mott Haven has stores, though the Bloomingdale's branch will not open until 2010.

***** Only one of FOUR subway lines providing quick access to the cutting edge nightlife of the Upper East Side. And other places.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:27 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,583 times
Oc200...more than likely they read the absurd scary stories here about Mott Haven and were scared away like so many others. I hope they enjoy their boat! I am sure the city will be reasessing the taxes on it shortly. Lol

Holden...I do not promote Mott Haven...I do not tell people it is a paradise, it is perfect, or it is the next "Williamsburg" (I don't even know what the next Williamsburg means). I do say that the scary stories are just that..scary stories....and that Mott Haven has turned a corner and IS changing. I say with a budget of $1,000 you MUST consider Mott Haven and it IS worth a look....I say there is ALOT of new investment, retail, residential, commercial, quality of life, and infrastructure improvements that have occured and continue to occur that are making the area quite livable.

This is not promoting an area..it is providing the perspective of a longtime resident versus the constant, and oftentimes unfounded steretoypes pushed by people who have either NEVER been there, base opinions on their drive by on the Bruckner, what they heard about or read about in forums like these...or were chaging a flat tire on Willis Ave.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:56 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,303,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Holden...I do not promote Mott Haven...I do not tell people it is a paradise, it is perfect, or it is the next "Williamsburg" (I don't even know what the next Williamsburg means). I do say that the scary stories are just that..scary stories....and that Mott Haven has turned a corner and IS changing. I say with a budget of $1,000 you MUST consider Mott Haven and it IS worth a look....I say there is ALOT of new investment, retail, residential, commercial, quality of life, and infrastructure improvements that have occured and continue to occur that are making the area quite livable.

This is not promoting an area..it is providing the perspective of a longtime resident versus the constant, and oftentimes unfounded steretoypes pushed by people who have either NEVER been there, base opinions on their drive by on the Bruckner, what they heard about or read about in forums like these...or were chaging a flat tire on Willis Ave.
I don't have a problem with it, it must be frustrating to live in a place for a long time and hear it bashed by people who have never been or have less familiarity with it. Although the advocacy might be need to balance things out, and you don't tell anyone it is paradise, you admittedly say that anyone who is moving to NY with a budget about 1000 "MUST" consider Mott Haven, and you tell people that very often. People should be told about viable options within their budget, but by my definition that is promoting the area. I don't have a problem with it, I was just teasing because there is no single person who proposes any single neighborhood on here as much as you propose Mott Haven. I'm sure some people who check it out move there, and others don't like it, which would be true of every neighborhood. It's just the frequency with which you mention it that brought a smile to my face.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:05 AM

Lol...well based on the confines of "I am looking for a 1 bedroom apt in NYC with a short commute to NYC"...what other neighborhood should they consider? I also state that a roommate is better and that they then can afford a better place to live.

There are just about no other neighborhoods that fill this need. Based on these criteria...I do say they MUST consider Mott Haven...and when people provide these sorts of criteria..this is the ONLY time I say MUST. Oftentimes people dismiss the area outright based on the scary stories on here..so all I do is provide a different, but no less accurate, perspective from someone who is actually in the trenches day in and day out.

I really only discuss Mott Haven when needed, i.e. when the area is discussed (which is often) or when someone throws out this kind of criteria for moving to the city. I rarely start any threads..I have done maybe 3 so far. I provide only a balance that is SORELY lacking...and a reasonable perspective that is a quiet voice among those that just regurgitate the same tired story but have no knowledge of the area otherwise.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:08 AM

68 posts, read 449,695 times
I do remember being in Mott Haven around 15 years ago as my mother used to work there and we lived in the Bronx. Mott Haven was a DUMP. I don't know how it is now, but I can't imagine it being any worse than before. As a HS student, I hated walking around there at night by myself when the 2/5 train would stop running and I'd have to catch the shuttle bus to 180th.

In defense of Guywithacause, I do agree that there really are not that many options when it comes to unshared apts less than $1000 within 45 minutes of Manhattan. And everyone knows how many times out-of-towners post asking unrealistic questions about living in close proximity to Manhattan for $800. Based on these questions, his/her recommendations of Mott Haven are not so ridiculous. Although, I personally would not live there, there are not many places that would fall within the criteria mentioned above other than South Bronx, North Bronx, East Bronx, West Bronx (other than Riverdale).....well pretty much all of the Bronx.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:24 AM

Yes that is the image that is ingrained in people's minds. Unfortunately if you qualify a cluster of large housing projects and 99.99% low income peple of color, and the societal ills that come with that...then not much has changed at all!

However, I can tell you there IS a mentality of change in the community...and no I am NOT running for president! Some people are still doing the same stupid things..but alot of people have changed, and much of the perception of members of the community is that they do matter, and they can make things better, and they are doing just that. I see it first hand...and their is a drive to make the kinds of investments that will not only directly benefit members of the community, but also the new arrivals, like new affordable housing, rehabbed loft space, greening of the area, more retail and mid-range restaurant options, as well as other amenities like cultural events, artist exhibitions, and theater.

The area is a long way from mass appeal to middle America...and in all likelihood it will not appeal to the middle America, cornfed, Olive Garden eating people that dominate this country...and thats okay..as they have 90% of the country already..and large swaths of the city also. But what it will be is an affordable choice for those looking to reolcate to, or stay in, the city...either for more space, or to have a shorter commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City