Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 07:11 AM

33 posts, read 55,345 times

Advertisements

We've been in the burbs for about 7 mths now, so its still early. Most people we met who made similar moves said it took 1-2 years to fully adjust. So we'll see. Only issue for our family is that my family is still in brooklyn/queens so my support system with the kids is there. That's hard. If you move back to a burb with your family and friends, that might be an easier transition.
Only thing I learned is that Kids are resilient and will adjust quickly to almost anything. So when you make this decision, think about how you and your husband will cope. It will be much harder on the two of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 04:00 PM

391 posts, read 285,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Girl, don't listen to half the responses saying horrible things about raising children in NYC in particular Manhattan. For generations scores upon scores of parents raised kids in Manhattan and Brooklyn, and how they turned out was/is more a reflection of the home than the environment.

White flight out of NYC has ended for the most part and parents are seeking to remain in NYC in particular Manhattan and Brooklyn if possible. This is one reason why there is such a push for "family sized" housing including everything from townhouses/brownstones to apartments.

Schools both public and private in Manhattan are bursting and demand is not predicted to decrease for years. As such if you are planning to move to either Manhattan or Brooklyn with school aged children you will need to look at local school options for K-8 (high school aged teens can handle a commute and most often do with ease) both public and private.

Raising children in an urban environment yes, does mean unless you own a townhouse there won't be a backyard for them to play in, but the City has *soooo* much to offer children and more comes on line every day. A local classical music space recently offered a Saturday afternoon live performance by a well know artist group for young children and was *SOLD OUT* in a matter of minutes. The Museum of Natural History offers a hugely popular "sleepover" for children.

Here is a good site for things to do with kids in NYC: Night at the Museum: 7 Museum Sleepovers in New York City | Mommy Poppins - Things to Do in NYC with Kids

Of course raising children in NYC in particular Manhattan means they won't be as "sheltered" say as growing up in the suburbs. They are going to see things on the streets, subways, even at school and so forth that otherwise may not living elsewhere. Diversity varies by location in NYC, but even in mainly white high income areas you can find mixed marriage households, same-sex marriage households, very liberal/progressive households, and so forth.

Then you have simply going out and about and or living in NYC simply means you are going to see and or hear things you might not elsewhere. No, persons aren't being mugged and robbed in great numbers or otherwise the "bad old days" of NYC, but things still do happen. Have always found kids who grew up in Manhattan to be more "street smart". But then they would need to be in order to navigate around safely.
Excellent response. I can't fathom people saying that one shouldn't have a family in nyc. Before the suburbs, there were families of all socioeconomic status in the city. Kids often played outside of the house when they didn't have yards. Even today, there are many families.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:12 PM

401 posts, read 551,553 times
If your income is close to $1M, I highly recommend Livingston, NJ. Solid commute too.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:30 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama7 View Post
Hi,

My husband and I are thinkng about moving to Manhattan or Brooklyn. We have 3 young children. Can anyone offer any advice about what it's like with kids in the city? What are the pros and cons? Thanks in advance.

Living in the city is the best move you can make for you children. The opportunity for them is endless and there is so much available in the city that you would never see in the suburbs (museums, zoos, theater, etc.)

Old 09-29-2015, 08:19 PM

401 posts, read 551,553 times
The public high schools in NYC aren't great. They aren't as bad as some other major cities but they aren't great. Where my parents previously lived, the high school is very lowly ranked compared to the ones I went to in the suburbs.

The only high schools in the city that rival LI schools (and arguably are better) are in my opinion: Bronx Science, Townsend Harris, and in my opinion the best high school in NYC, Stuyvesant (boasted a 2000+ SAT score average of all students last time I checked). That high of an SAT average is absolutely unheard of even in the best LI high schools.

I would definitely recommend raising your kids with caution in the city if you do decide to. Try to live in an area with a decent public school but encourage your kids to take the tests to possibly get into the highly ranked schools in the cities like the ones I've listed above.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:15 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,853,768 times
I don't want start a war, but this is the reason the city is becoming so completely unbearable. Being pushed out of the city by BABIES! Sounds weird, but it's true. I don't know where i'm going to be forced to move next, but i'd rather living in a building infested with bedbugs than babies. Entire neighborhoods are being redlined by these people and now they all want to stay. Nightmare

Old 09-30-2015, 02:16 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,424,318 times
I grew up in the city. Don't do it.

Your kids will turn out to be culturally interesting but they will also be subjected to many of life's ills at too young of an age....drug addiction open displays of sexuality helplessness racism increased stress.

These days going through that in NYC 2015 just isn't worth it for all the damage it does. Don't fool yourselves into thinking you can have a handle on it.

Why not live outside the city and commute ? Long Island would be a happy medium IMO but your kids would hate it !

Old 09-30-2015, 04:41 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
open displays of sexuality...increased stress.
You can find these in the suburbs also, even the wealthy neighborhoods.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:29 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,047,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
You can find these in the suburbs also, even the wealthy neighborhoods.
How prevalent is it in the suburbs? When I was growing up I was pretty sure every decent looking girl got banged by junior high.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:02 AM

493 posts, read 511,621 times
You going to take the train with 3 kids. You said getting them in and out the car is hard. Wait until you go up and down the train. Or one has to pee but your stuck in the station and the trains are acting up. Or some crazy bum gets on the train. OR someone pushed you or gets a attitude with your stroller. No way!! I rarely if ever take my son on the train and always feel so bad when I see moms on the train especially during high times.
It not like you have 1 or even 2 kids but 3 thats a lot to squeeze in a apartment. I think the suburbs might be better. But if you live in the city Park Slope or maybe fort green. Try for a town home maybe one with a little yard space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City